300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock River proprietary??

Can anyone tell me if RRA rifles are proprietary to aftermarket products?

I recently purchased a RRA CAR A4. http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=223. I decided to “personalize” my new rifle with some Magpul MOE products.

Problem:
    I started with the stock. I have a commercial buffer and purchased same; it didn’t fit. I questioned whether he sold me a MIL-Spec size, a simple fix if so. The vendor stated it was commercial but didn’t have one to compare with. In the end, he refunded $$ and I’ve waited to purchase another.

I waited because I also attempted to install the hand grip and like the stock, it didn’t fit. The opening of the grip that should house the lower receiver is narrower than the receiver. I had my armoror look at it to see if I was doing something wrong and he agreed… no fit without modifying the grip by widening opening. I don’t want to do that for fear of weakening the integrity of the grip. Plus why should I spend $$ on something and then have to modify to make it work?

Thought/Inputs appreciated cause the frustration is growing.
    "The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it – Thucydides"

Wow... I'm a bit baffled. I've never heard of grips not fitting. I also had to wiggle them a little to fit, but never had to take material off.
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Exactly which grip were you trying to use?

As Jwise said, I have had them fit tight, but they all have gone on with only a little effort.
      Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
      --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

Some grips fit tighter than others and you just have to use more force. If you're afraid of breaking something, soak the grip in hot water and it should slip right on.

Explain what you mean about the "buffer won't fit".
        sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

Colt has the patent on M4 so specific M4 clone parts won't be the same on non Colt products, Most companies make buttstocks that fit the Mil-Spec M4 Colt buffer tube and the std. commercial tube. Double heat shield M4 handguards also used to be different but I have seen direct Colt look alike clones on the market so do no know what goes on there.

I have never seen handgrips that would not fit.

Comment

I've installed non-RRA grips and stocks on my RRA rifle with no problems. So I would say no to the proprietary aspect.
            "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

Was the stock too loose, or too tight?
              J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

cbrown_tx, Is this your first build?

Depending on the MFR, A grip will slip on easily or be a pain, but still go on with some brute force.

Some Magpul parts are proprietary to Magpul. One example would be a putting a Magpul stock on a non-Magpul buffer tube or vise versa.
                sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

It is first build which was why I let my armoror look at it when I started scratching my head.

The grip was the Magpul MOE in FDE http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index....roducts_id=286.

I'll try the suggested ideas for the grip and report back what happens.

JWise - the stock was too tight, wouldn't go over the buffer. I don't have calipers but measured with ruler and pretty sure it was a MIL-SPEC in a commercial box. I'll try another soon as I find one. Seems like commercial stocks in FDE kinda tough to find. If that doesn't resolve it then I'll presume it's Magpul stock to Magpul buffer as Zeplin suggested.

Appreciate the inputs.
                  "The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it – Thucydides"

Comment

I've had to file grips to fit, no biggie.

Originally posted by zeplin View Post
                    cbrown_tx, Is this your first build?

Depending on the MFR, A grip will slip on easily or be a pain, but still go on with some brute force.

Some Magpul parts are proprietary to Magpul. One example would be a putting a Magpul stock on a non-Magpul buffer tube or vise versa.
                    Umm, what?

Comment

You've got a mil-spec stock and a commercial tube. Sorry you got hosed...
                      J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4379 users online. 266 members and 4113 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X