Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Stock and changing zero...

Here is my question...

How significantly will your zero change when switching only stocks on a rifle? Specifically a bolt gun.

I know "upgrading" a stock can improve accuracy and group size, but if your rifle / scope is already zeroed in, and all you change is the stock, how far off will your new point of impact be at lets say 100 yards?
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Well I just said what the hell and headed out to the range. Every varible was the same, except the stock. I ditched the factory Remmington SPS stock on my 700 and replaced it with a bedded McMillan M40 w/ adjustable cheekpiece.

Answer: POI changed about 1/2 inch.

Even better:

My best group w/ the factory stock was .75 moa at 100 yrds. Today I shot a .410" 3 round group at 100. One ragged hole!
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

I thought about answering earlier, but the short answer I can give is; who the heck knows? Depends on how the old receiver was bedded compared to the new one, whether any pressure is added or subtracted from the barrel, or (perhaps most importantly) a change in your cheek weld and alignment with the scope.

If you change one properly bedded, free-floating, monte carlo stock to another, probably not a lot of change in POI. If you change a stock that put a couple pounds upward pressure on the barrel to a free float stock, maybe.
      **Not a LEO**

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSheriff View Post
        Here is my question...

How significantly will your zero change when switching only stocks on a rifle? Specifically a bolt gun.

I know "upgrading" a stock can improve accuracy and group size, but if your rifle / scope is already zeroed in, and all you change is the stock, how far off will your new point of impact be at lets say 100 yards?
        I would say that if you ditched the factory Remmington SPS stock on your 700 and say you replaced it with a bedded McMillan M40 w/ adjustable cheekpiece, just as an example, you would be looking at about 1/2 inch POI shift. I cannot say which direction however. I would also guess that you would get an increase in accuracy in the .34 MOA range. However this is just a guess and you should probably shoot at least 10 cycles of 5 shot groups, then average these groups, which gives a better judge of the rifles inherent accuracy minus the shooter. Some people like to shoot 3 shot groups which can be misleading.

Of course YMMV, and be sure to keep us updated and let us know how she shoots.
        The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2873 users online. 157 members and 2716 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X