300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally started carrying my Les Baer

When I left the police department for law school a little over a year ago, I got myself a nice 1911 to commemorate the event.

I found a very nice Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special:

I recently had the chance to run a little more than 500rds through it, which broke it in quite nicely.

At the end of last month, I was deputized as a reservist in Harris County. The good news is that I can now carry at school (in Texas, CHL holders cannot carry on school campuses). The bad news is that I could only carry the pistols I had qualified with.

On Wednesday (Sept. 16th), I finally was able to qualify with my Les Baer! I adjusted the retention on my Blade-Tech IWB holster to properly fit the LB (different trigger guard profile than my Kimber), and started carrying it that same day!

I absolutely love this handgun. I acquired it used, but it was still in pristine condition. The decision to make it a daily carry gun is also a decision to sacrifice its LNIB status. That's ok, it's a weapon after all.

I'll definitely need to keep an oily rag handy, as it will need to be wiped down much more often than my Glock 30 which is being replaced.

It's been over a year in the making, but I'm finally carrying my Les Baer!
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

You guys should have seen my qualification target! Another Deputy actually remarked at the stellar accuracy I was able to deliver on target (not to mention speed!)
    J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

That is a great looking .45 you got there. Wife said I could get a custom .45 if and when I get promoted. Good luck in law school and hopefulyy you will be prosecuting the bad guys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jwise View Post
        You guys should have seen my qualification target! Another Deputy actually remarked at the stellar accuracy I was able to deliver on target (not to mention speed!)
        I envy you and your new carry gun.

Looks like a great firearm.
        -------------------------------
        You can't fix stupid, but you can arrest it. - LINY

"Their house, their rules. And when they get robbed, they can call 911 and ask them to send a hippie to protect them." - ateamer

Comment

I'm glad to hear that you're carrying that work of art.

I've intended to qualify with both of my SA 1911's for about six months now. Hopefully next week I will finally find the time to break them in and qualify.

Stay safe!
          ROLL TIDE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ABC144 View Post
            I'm glad to hear that you're carrying that work of art.
            I never intended it for a safe-queen... I look forward to wearing down its finish with marks of character!
            J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

OK, I admit it I’m jealous.

I read many of your posts, and it’s clear to me you are quite the long gun expert. I value your information. However, I don’t have much interest in long guns. It’s just nice information to read that I feel seems to have credibility behind it.

Now sir, if you bring your level of detail and analysis you have in relation to long guns to your 1911 platform discussions you just found yourself a new internet forum groupie

1911’s are COOL!!!!!!!!!!!! I have two myself with two more in mind. I just had a polygraph for a reserve gig with an agency that would allow me to carry anything I can qualify with. So a firearm like (Les or WC, maybe Nighthawk) the one you just pictured is on my mind as gift to myself if and when I complete an FTO program. My academy graduation gift to myself was a Springfield TRP. My getting a new job gift to myself a few months ago was a Colt Model 70 (an original, not a reproduction I can’t get those as a Californian).

If I got hired by this particular agency a compact carry 1911 will be my gift to myself.

Next I want to get is a Springfield GI model so I can tinker on it without fear of damaging a more expensive firearm.

My mentality as well is to use the heck out of them. Guns are not display items. I hold them in the same context as my automotive tools. Take care of them as use them until they completely wear out. Otherwise you’re not getting your money’s worth.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
              - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

I'll see what I can put together for you.

Any questions or concerns?
                J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

Actually, I’m pretty determined to get a Springfield GI model as a tinkering platform, but when it comes to getting a very high end 1911 like you did I have a few paths I could go down.

I’m hesitant to ask this question, because it pretty much gives you free license:

So why did you go with the Les Baer?

This would also be a purchase that would take more money and wait time than normal. I can always trade back my other 1911’s at what I bought them for and pretty much replace them with off the rack choices. However, going down that $2500+ path I would like a little more insight. So I’d like to get it right the first time.

I’m also very interested in how the bluing wears in for you. I’m only a blued kind of guy. Armory Coat is ok I guess (like my TRP), but blue is preferred. So when I finally do get a custom 1911 it’s going to be blued. So it would be interesting to see how your’s works out. Any kind of silver or stainless is “not” a combat firearm in my mind.

Unless I’m blind, that looks like a 5 inch (government) model. Do you have a 4 inch (commander) 1911? Do you have a compact 1911? If I carried a 5 inch on duty and a commander or compact concealed might I be better off with a smaller caliber with the shorter barrel platform?

The Commander and Compact versions aren’t really on the horizon yet since I’m not hired. I’m not interested in them for personal reasons other than actually carrying them as concealed (which isn’t an issue yet).

Now, there is a great 1911 forum that does have a VAST amount of information and revolves entirely around 1911’s from every single conceivable permutation imaginable. Don’t feel you need to repeat any information that could be found there (as I’ve likely already read it, especially as is pertains to Colts and Springfields).

Generally speaking, why did you drop the coin on a Les Bear verses other custom choices?

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
                  - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

He said he bought it used, so no long term wait and hopefully he saved some money cause the seller's wife got the gun in the divorce and she sold it or some similar story.

Comment

I just spent nearly the last hour taking detailed pictures of my three 1911s. I have to get some more studying done this afternoon, but I'll write something up for you later on today or tomorrow. I'll cover 1911s in general, but I promise to speak to your questions as well. I may not put my write up in this thread, but instead make a new thread for it (something like, "So you want to buy a 1911, huh?" ).

Alright- gotta go study now...
                      J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

Next time I get up to the range, I am going to run through the qual course with my STI Edge to see how I do. I don't think I ever shot my Kimber as well as my Glock 22. I think it was the slower "push" of the 45 over the snap of the 40 that was always throwing my timing off on my rapid fire stuff. But I think the STI in 40 almost shoots itself. My buddy was ogling the pepper poppers I was putting down with double taps right on top of each other with a .14sec split time.

*Sigh All just for fun tho. I lobbied to be able to carry a 1911 for work. I was told by the Chief Deputy that while he trust me not to shoot myself in the *** with it, if he let me carry it, he would have to let everyone carry it.

Comment

Quite a few deputies in my new agency carry a 1911. Only a handful in my former department.
                          J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

Jwise, since you now have a sweet 1911 to carry......PLEASE help out less fortunate fellow Deputy and donate any 1911 to me !
                            sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

Can't wait for the overview post. I just bought a used, but LNIB, Springfield TRP last night. I am new to the 1911 world. I've been wanting to enter and I finally found a deal to good to pass.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4003 users online. 244 members and 3759 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X