300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What To Carry On Duty

Here are our choices for updating our department handguns. We currently carry the Sig 229 compact 40sw. Main complaint on the 229 is the compact size feels too small in the hand and no tac rail.

1. Sig 220 .45

2. Sig 226 .40

3. Glock .40

4. Springfield XD .45

All would be full size with tac rail.

No one should be giving you the answer until you fire all of them yourself at a range or something.
    "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

This would be issued department-wide?
      J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

If your only complaint is size and the lack of an accessory rail, then the answer is simple: .40 S&W caliber P226. If you'd like to go with a slimmer grip and don't object to a decreased magazine capacity, the the P220 .45 ACP is another option.

The Glock and Springfields have entirely different trigger systems and neither has a decocking lever. These pistols have other advantages and disadvantages, but your comments don't seem to address issues beyond the size and rail. For ease of transition, the P226 would seem like the way to go.
        "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

This gun would be issued department wide (very small department). I have shot all the guns listed above. I am not looking for someone to give me the answer without shooting them myself. I posed the question to see what others thought of the choices before I said my choice.
          Last edited by DEPUTY 235; 09-05-2009, 02:26 PM.

Comment

As said before I think the Sig 226 would be the way to go. Same manual of arms, no cross training needed. And you can probably use the same holsters in some cases.

Comment

I'm for the 226, especially since you already have the 229. As posted before shoot first but I vote 226.

Comment

226 allows the armorer to not have to go to another school to maintain the weapons as well. You'll have more weight to control the weapon for faster follow-up shots and the increased size will help fit those with larger meat hooks. A GOOD department with issue one weapon, but give a range of weapons to choose from that the officers can purchase for work. This helps the people with smaller hands that may be excluded when you swap to the larger frames.
                NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

I like my GLOCK....but thats just me

The above comments reflect the personal and unofficial opinions of the poster; and in no way should be taken to indicate any opinion or policy of any government agency.

Comment

For your specific needs, the 226 in .40 seems like a logical choice. On the other hand, I like Glocks. On the other, other hand, your guys are probably already trained on the Sig platform, so it would have a reduced "switching cost."
                    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

We carry the P220.

Comment

I agree the P226 seems to be the most logical weapon to choose from given your circumstances.

Comment

Sig P226 in .40 is the most logical choice if you like DA/SA and just need something bigger with a tac rail.

If I were you I'd check out the Smith & Wesson M&P series before you make your final decision. Whether you go .40 or .45, the M&Ps are higher capacity, lightweight, reliable and have excellent customer support. No decocker to mess with, and compact models are available for off-duty carry that are the same platform as the duty size pistols and can use the higher capacity duty mags as backups.
                          Did I fire six shots, or only five?

Comment

I'll give you my M&P if you give me your Sig, straight up!

Comment

Our Dept. is in the process of a complete switch in firearms. Officers tested 6 to 8 different weapons and voted #1 to 8. We are switching to Glock 21SF and Glock 19. we get to pick between the two.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2971 users online. 148 members and 2823 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X