300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rifles For Motor Jocks

Our motor jocks just got AR-15s with 7 1/2 barrels. They will carry them in their saddle bags. They are freaking sweet! I was just wondering if this was common practice for the motor jocks at you agency?
    Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Many agencies in Southern California (including LAPD and LASD) have shotguns on their motorcycles. I have only seen one with rifles, but I am sure there must be some others. I'm looking for one with a shotgun on one side and a rifle on the other. Our traffic sergeant wanted to mount micro-Galils, which we already have, on our motors, but our Chief, who retires in three weeks, wouldn't go for it. Part of the problem may have had to do with their being full-auto.
    Last edited by DAL; 09-03-2009, 10:15 PM.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Our guys have these:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTPjWrDmsZ0

Comment

Originally posted by Rush817 View Post
        Our motor jocks just got AR-15s with 7 1/2 barrels. They will carry them in their saddle bags. They are freaking sweet! I was just wondering if this was common practice for the motor jocks at you agency?
        I LOVE Texas! Kicking myself for turning down a job down there 4 years ago!

Comment

Originally posted by nkpd44 View Post
          I LOVE Texas! Kicking myself for turning down a job down there 4 years ago!
          You're still young enough to come on back. Lot of good depts down here looking for good people.

Comment

Originally posted by dep126 View Post
            We need them for when we get into pursuits! lol
            Last edited by Rush817; 09-04-2009, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Curious.

Any idea why they went with a super short AR-15 versus a SMG or bullpup rifle? IMO, there are "better" choices than a 7" AR-15.

Comment

Originally posted by beavo451 View Post
                Curious.

Any idea why they went with a super short AR-15 versus a SMG or bullpup rifle? IMO, there are "better" choices than a 7" AR-15.
                I'm just guessing here! Bullpups are a pain because they are not good for left handed shooters. The SMG would be a good choice, but I bet an MP5 isn't much smaller than the AR shorty. I'm assuming that the regular patrol squads have full size AR's. This makes training that much easier. A short AR handles and operates the same as a full size, that way officers can swap guns and magazines without any issues.
                "My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks

Comment

I don't know for sure but my guess would be familiarity. They're set up the same as the fullsize ARs.

Comment

My take on it is that 7.5" ARs are extremely loud and have significant muzzle blast (you can feel it in your support arm and it feels like pin ******). The noise and concussion can be disorienting to the operator, especially indoors. I would imagine having a more "friendly" compact weapon like a SMG would a "better" choice.

Anyways. Kudos to your department to better arming your officers!

Comment

If I needed to go that short, I'd get the LWRC PSD, which is chambered in 6.8SPC. It performs much better out of such a short barrel vs. the 5.56.

Or, I'd get the Sig 556 SBR that has the folding stock. It could still fit in the saddle bag, but it has a longer barrel.
                      J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Departments here carry their rifles and shotguns mounted to the frame in electrically operated locks. One department has a mount that goes into the saddlebag with the collpsible stock sticking out behind.

I don't see why you would want an SMG for a motor. Not that much of an improvement over an extended magazine for your pistol.
                        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Are there any motor units that have their AR-15, etc. openly visible and therefore more accessible, I'd guess?

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                            Departments here carry their rifles and shotguns mounted to the frame in electrically operated locks. One department has a mount that goes into the saddlebag with the collpsible stock sticking out behind.

I don't see why you would want an SMG for a motor. Not that much of an improvement over an extended magazine for your pistol.
                            Extending your effective range to 100 meters is a significant improvement.

Throw in select fire...

Going with such a short barrel on an AR-15 is not really a good idea. Yes it will kill things just as dead, but 5.56 rounds rely heavily on velocity and you are loosing a bunch in a 7" barrel.

Jwise's suggestion of a heavier caliber or a longer barrel are also good/better options IMHO.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3165 users online. 152 members and 3013 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X