Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

<sigh> Another "which pistol?" thread...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• <sigh> Another "which pistol?" thread...

From what some of you could tell from my 2nd ever post on this forum, I was wondering why I don't see many (any?) Beretta 92 variants in holsters anymore. Well, it's time for me to move on myself, away from the sweetheart of Accokeek, MD, and on to something else.

OK, I realize that no one gun can fill the criteria of many uses but I just want to get a few opinons here. Below is my "short list" of choices and below that an explanation of what I plan to use the ONE pistol for. I welcome, and look forward to any input the good folks here have to share.

Yes, the choices on the top of my list are heavily biased towards that awful pistol from Austria that you hear about in all da' rap songz:

Glock 21
    Glock 19
    Glock 22 (?? the .40 S&W based on the G17-sized frame? sorry, I can't Google this information from work )

S/A XD45 (4" bbl., DA-only trigger)

Beretta PX4 Storm (.45ACP, DA-only trigger)

Primary use for this pistol is home defense with frequent trips to the range. Secondary is CCW. Soon, my wife and I will be moving to the PNW and once settled, I hope to get on somewhere as a reserve with the hopes of moving on to a FT job position. Unless a pistol is issued, I'd likely carry one of the above pistols for primary duty (of course, Tacoma does issue those sweet Kimbers now, huh? ).

Again some background: before life got busy (I know, not a great excuse), I was in my mid-30's and the #1 ranked candidate for my top-pick local department in SoCal. I had just been promoted at work to a great position and turned down my academy date <stupid, stupid>. At that time, I bought the 92FS because I liked the way it worked at the range, it's what all of the cool kids had, and I didn't like that department's offering of a S&W 5906. Besides, if LASO and LAPD issued it, how could I go wrong? I've had that Beretta since 1995 and am looking to upgrade.

The best pistol I ever had (and sold, see stupid, stupid above) was my SIG/Sauer P220 American, .45ACP. I loved that pistol and shot sooo well with it, hence my choice of either the XD45 or G21. Oh yeah, I am on a budget so no more SIGs in my future for a while.

FWIW, the only reason the G19 (or the smaller-framed .40) is on my list is because they seem plentiful in stores around here and are a tad more concealable than the XD or G21...but how are they for duty carry?

Sorry this turned into a novel...thanks again for your thoughts!

Get the G22, stick some Meprolites on it and it'll serve you well for years.

Comment

I use a Glock 21 with a Blackhawk Xiphos light. If you are going for home defense you are going to want a light on your weapon. You never know what may happen at night...

Comment

XD all the way. I love that gun.
        If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
        Thomas Jefferson

Comment

From what I read, you are looking for a conceal carry gun that may eventually become a full time carry weapon.

For that gig along with your budget worries, I would either recommend the Glock 23 (compact frame .40 S&W) or the S/A XD 45 compact.

Both have a good capacity and are very reliable weapons. What's nice about the XD, is you can purchase the "compact" magazine, which will make it better concealed (this is in my opinion the biggest problem with the XD-45), and have an extended magazine which brings it to 13 rounds of 45 ACP for duty carry. The XD is a smooth operator and is a nail driver w/ little practice.

Glock 23 is also a great option. About the same size as the XD-45 compact w/ the little magazine and the same capacity in .40. My favorite aspect of hte Glock pistols is the CRISP trigger reset. Always a pleasent shooter and dead reliable.

Those are my suggestions, just remember that most all department that will hire you will supply you with a gun. Even the reserves are issued our department pistols when they are hired and qualified. With that in mind, try and find a gun that will be practical for concealed carry and home defense for a long time.

Comment

For home defense and duty, I'd go with a Gock 21. For carrying, I'd go with a Glock 30.

If I wanted a gun that could pull double-duty, I'd get a Glock 19. It is small enough to carry, but is big enough to carry on duty (I know several officers who carry the G19 on duty.)
            J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies thus far! I noticed that no one commented on the Beretta...is this pistol a bit of an oddity? About the only department I know of that issues it (in 9mm) is Canada Border Services. Just curious, I have yet to actually see one in the flesh.

So thanks to your replies, I will be considering the Glock 19 and 22 on the tops of my list but also keeping the G21 on there as well as the XD Compact.

How does a weapon light affect the pointability of a pistol? I am guessing that its enough to warrant practicing at the range with it in place?

Comment

Originally posted by jmb070106 View Post
                Thanks for all of the replies thus far! I noticed that no one commented on the Beretta...is this pistol a bit of an oddity? About the only department I know of that issues it (in 9mm) is Canada Border Services. Just curious, I have yet to actually see one in the flesh.

So thanks to your replies, I will be considering the Glock 19 and 22 on the tops of my list but also keeping the G21 on there as well as the XD Compact.

How does a weapon light affect the pointability of a pistol? I am guessing that its enough to warrant practicing at the range with it in place?
                "Pointability?" You hold the grip and point the big hole at the bad guy.

You could buy a Beretta...if you need a spare boat anchor.
                NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Well, I've never handled a pistol with a light before...just wondering if it causes it to feel significantly different as far as recoil and whatnot.

OK. Scratching the PX4 off the list!

Comment

If blindfolded, I'm not sure if I could tell whether or not the light was attached.
                    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

^^^Roger that. The lights' weight is negligible. The one I want to throw on my G22 weighs 4 ounces and that's with both batteries.

Just make sure to shoot at the range with the light attached so you can see if there will be any malfunctions. Some Glocks have a history of problems functioning with a light attached. Run enough rounds through it without any issues to make yourself a happy camper.
                      NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
                        ^^^Roger that. The lights' weight is negligible. The one I want to throw on my G22 weighs 4 ounces and that's with both batteries.

Just make sure to shoot at the range with the light attached so you can see if there will be any malfunctions. Some Glocks have a history of problems functioning with a light attached. Run enough rounds through it without any issues to make yourself a happy camper.
                        Slightly off topic but which light do you have for your G22? 4 ozs is pretty good!! Definitely be interested in looking into a light like what your speaking of.

By the way the G22 conceals pretty well with the IWB holster I have..I'm not a big guy, just have to dress slightly looser....Its nice to have a full size .40 with 15+1 plus spare mag when your out!!

Just my opinion FWIW

Seth

Comment

Plans are in the works for a Insight WX 150.
                          NRA Life Member

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
                            Plans are in the works for a Insight WX 150.
                            Thank you for the info, I think that just might have bumped its way to the top of the "to do" list for my G22...

Comment

I think I've got it narrowed down...

Well, I'm back from an extended long weekend visiting my in-laws in handgun-deprived Saskatchewan All of the local sporting goods stores just had long-guns and the only shop that sells handguns was closed for the holiday. No browsing for me until this weekend. Heck, I couldn't even FIND a decent handgun magazine in the grocery store there

Thanks again for the input folks. In order of preference, I've got it narrowed down to "short" list based on everyone's comments. Let me know what you think:

Happy: G19 or XD45 Service (tie)
                              Happier: G23
                              Happiest: G21

(pretty much stock, non-SF or RTF for the above Glocks)

I know that prices vary wildly but can anyone comment on the price point for the pistols above? I checked Gunbroker.com and prices there are all over the map. I'm hoping to get a somewhat decent trade-in price for my American-made 92-FS from the family-owned shop nearby. Rumor has it, they have pretty good prices on new, in-stock Glocks. Is it reasonable to pay less than $500 for a NIB Glock?

I do understand that once I go reserve somewhere, I'll be issued something, but I also want whatever I purchase to be a capable (and approved) duty pistol in the event I wish to (or am allowed) to carry something other than (or better than) issue.

On a somewhat related note, what's the concensus on the S&W M&P Compact (in .45ACP)?

About 20 years ago I worked in a gun store in Southern California and I knew lots. Of course, this was when the 3rd Generation S&W pistols weren't even out yet, and the Taurus PT-92 and PT-99 were taking the U.S. by storm (and the major SoCal agencies, as well as CHP, were JUST transitioning to semi-auto pistols). I feel like such a newbie!

Thanks again!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4733 users online. 245 members and 4488 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X