Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Duty Suggestions (Ruger vs. Glock)

Well I made the decision that I want to carry off duty all the time, and wanted to stick with same design as my duty weapon for obvious reasons. We carry the Glock 22 on duty. I purchased the Glock 27 for off duty and have just not been happy with the weight of it.

I want to carry on the ankle and every time i step i can feel the gun with a slight vibration. I have tried three different ankle holsters (Renegade, Galco Glove) with the same result. I can carry it on the hip with no problems obviously, but I prefer to carry off duty on the ankle.

I was thinking about the Ruger LCP or LCR since they are so light. I will probably get a bunch of criticism from my department armorer. I realize the Ruger is for very close range as the obvious drawback. Maybe I can have to the trigger pull on the Ruger adjusted to match my Glock (dunno if this is possible). Suggestions besides just carrying the Glock on the hip?
    Last edited by borninblue; 09-03-2009, 10:14 AM.
    "In valor there is hope"

Buy a glock.

Comment

I love my Ruger LCP and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I carry it 100% while off duty. Its just very practical. I don't have to buy a special IWB holster, no bigger pant sizes, don't have to worry about printing, don't have to worry about it being to bulky. I just place it my pocket and go. I highly recommend it.

I have it in a $17 holster in my front right pocket.

See what other LEOs have to say about the LCP
      http://www.policelink.com/products/s..._submit=Submit
      Last edited by TEX_DEPUTY; 09-03-2009, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Kahr PM9 replaced my LCP, I love my Kahr..
        Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

Thanks for the info, what do you guys think of the issue of carrying a different off duty gun vs. ur duty weapon.
          "In valor there is hope"

Comment

Originally posted by borninblue View Post
            Thanks for the info, what do you guys think of the issue of carrying a different off duty gun vs. ur duty weapon.
            Don't feel so constrained to carry the EXACT model as your duty gun, but keep the MANUAL OF ARMS the same. A Glock has the same manual of arms as a DA revolver, albeit with a lighter trigger. I would consider any striker-fired pistol without a manual safety to have the same manual of arms.

I am well trained on the Glock platform, and carry the Glock 21 on duty. With this in mind, I have chosen to carry the following pistols as off-duty or backup at different times.

* NAA Guardian
            * Kel-Tec P32
            * Glock 26
            * Glock 30
            * Kahr PM9

They all have the same manual of arms (point-click).
            J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

I carry a Glock 22 on duty, and when I began the process of trying to figure out what I wanted to carry off-duty/backup I had to consider a few different things. If I get the Glock 27, when I am using as a backup while on duty, the mags are interchangeable with the 22, def. a plus.

But I decided to go with the springfield XD-40 subcompact. I carry IWB when off-duty.

Comment

Originally posted by borninblue View Post

I was thinking about the Ruger LCP or LCR since they are so light. I will probably get a bunch of criticism from my department armorer. I realize the Ruger is for very close range as the obvious drawback.
                As far as accuracy is concerned, the LCR or any J-frame will outscore the LCP or Keltec in my opinion, but reloads are a time issue. I have 3 different model J-Frames and the speed loaders usually get hung up against the frame when inserting the shells, but this has never been an issue with my K, L, or N frames. Anyone else having this problem?

Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
                Toby Keith

Comment

55-502:
                  I have 3 different model J-Frames and the speed loaders usually get hung up against the frame when inserting the shells, but this has never been an issue with my K, L, or N frames. Anyone else having this problem?
                  I used to have problems with my J-frame and J-frame clone doing what you described. Once I replaced the stocks with Boot Grips I had no more problems.
                  Oh yes and +1 on the accuracy of the small framed revolver over that of the little hide out guns. I have to shoot the same qual course with with both my S&W 640 and my G-22, and I do so with no problems. I have serious doubts that I could complete that course with an LCP or Kel-Tec.

Stay Safe
                  Fyr
                  Forti Fors Bona

Comment

Originally posted by FiremanMike View Post
                    Kahr PM9 replaced my LCP, I love my Kahr..

Why do you like the Kahr better?

Comment

Yeah I was wondering why u prefer the Kahr as well. Obvious price differance there.
                      "In valor there is hope"

Comment

I never liked shooting my LCP at all. First 380 is expensive, so I cringed every time I shot it. Second the trigger was garbage, long, and in an awkward place. Gripping the LCP the same way as I grip a bigger gun, I found my trigger finger would consistently snag some portion of my weak hand. The recoil was very strong for such a small round, and the sights were crap. Finally, while I'm a big fan of 9mm, and I will defend the fact that there is only minimal ballistic difference between 9mm and .40 (with data in hand). That said, there is a good amount of ballistic difference between 9mm and .380..

I picked up a kahr and instantly loved how it felt in my hand. Solid yet light and compact. I was able to put my hands on it in the same way I would grip a full size gun. Then I pulled the trigger. The cam system trigger in the kahr guns is by far the best double action trigger I've ever had the pleasure of feeling. Smooth, no stages, clean break, simply wonderful. I took it to the range and it shot like butter. At 50 feet I was still making very nice smaller center mass groups, and at 3 feet doing simulated backup draw drills I could put all shots where I wanted them with my weak hand.

The LCP had a place, as a pocket gun when no other would fit. The PM9 is only slightly larger, but shoots better and has a bigger punch with a 9mm round. With my crossbreed minituck I've never once been in a situation where I couldn't carry it, even last night in dress clothes. I will probably go ahead and buy a pocket holster, but I'm not positive I'll ever use it.

In the end, I recommend you go to your local gun shop and hold both, I think you'll quickly agree that the extra money is worth it.
                        Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

I will have to check the kahr out. Prob is nobody has the LCP in stock all backordered. The grip on the LCP is a concern as i do not like my pinky finger hanging off the gun.
                          "In valor there is hope"

Comment

I will say the LCP pinky extension makes a HUGE difference..

Comment

I think if you carry a Glock on duty then you should carry a Glock off duty. Under stress your fingers will go on auto pilot and do what ever muscle memory you programmed into them on the range.

Keep things simple!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4634 users online. 282 members and 4352 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X