300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That time of year

Well its almost that time of year....DEER SEASON . If your like me, opening day is the holiest, most talked about, dreamt about day of the year.

I was at Gander Mountain yesterday trying to find an excuse, any excuse to buy a new deer rifle. I don't actually need one. I have a gun cabinet full of rifles and shotguns that are more than capable of putting meat in the freezer and antlers on the wall. But I want one!

Where I hunt shots in excess of 100 yards are almost non-existent. When I use a rifle I take my trusty Marlin Model 336 in .35 Remington. When I use a shotgun its my Mossberg 500 with rifled barrel/scope combo that can put a sabot slug in the vitals at 150 yards.

What's everyone else using?
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

2004 Chevrolet Silverado. Strikes the deer at 88 feet per second and transfers maximum energy into the torso prior to brake application. Follow-up with the Smith and Wesson M&P .40 if necessary.

Comment

Last edited by bankfraudguy; 03-16-2011, 02:11 PM.

Comment

LOL espantoon! That's the most popular hunting weapon here too.
        Col. Jeff Cooper said, “One is no more armed because he possesses a pistol than he is a musician because he owns a piano”.

Comment

Remington 700 5R
          IOR 20 MOA Base
          Leupold Mark 4 Rings

When i hunt, i just use a Burris Fullfield II.

Its 12 lbs, not too bad, not real fun to shoot offhand but great to setup somewhere and shoot from a blind.
          -------------------------------
          You can't fix stupid, but you can arrest it. - LINY

"Their house, their rules. And when they get robbed, they can call 911 and ask them to send a hippie to protect them." - ateamer

Comment

If you're lucky

Help Block Animal Rightist Regulatory Czar

8/31/09

President Obama’s choice for a powerful regulatory position in the White House is a rabid supporter of animal rights. Your support is needed to block him from being in a position to harm America’s sportsmen.

Cass Sunstein, the president’s pick to head the powerful Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs (OIRA), has been an advocate for the animal rights movement and is an anti-hunter. As a part of the federal budget office, OIRA has extensive authority to block rules, including those that protect hunting and conservation.

Sunstein claims that, “we might ban hunting altogether, at least if it’s sole purpose is human recreation.” He also supports allowing lawsuits on behalf of animals, a right currently only extended to human beings.

Views such as this raise serious concern about the agenda Sunstein will carry with him into this position if he is confirmed by the Senate. This is why it is crucial that your two US Senators vote NOT to confirm Cass Sunstein as the head of the OIRA.

If calling your Senator’s office, click here for talking points.

Comment

I pay profesional assasins to kill my meat and put it in convinient packages in the supermarket.

If I had a need to get my own deer, at those ranges I would use my silenced Ruger 77/44

Comment

I have several rifles capable of taking deer, but as the years go on I find myself consistantly returning to the 1st rifle I ever owned: a Ruger M77 in .257 Roberts.

For Elk I have used my .308, But my "go to" gun is a Rem. Long action 30-'06.

For Moose and larger, I have a .338 Win mag that does the job...
                Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
                --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

I wish there was somewhere to hunt deer close to here. As it is, I would need to drive for a few hours. It just wouldn't seem right to pick the deer off that come into the gully below our house every day; they are right there, 40 feet away. Besides that, they're small coastal blacktails, probably no more than 40 pounds of meat on a buck.

Now if a wild hog ever shows up, we're having pork chops and ribs...
                  Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Funny you should ask, I was just at the outdoor range yesterday sighting in my Henry Lever Action 45 Colt, and I'm using the new Hornaday Lever Evolution Sabot load. With iron sights my groups were about 8 inches at 50 yards, and before I get a WTF comment, Indiana is very restrictive, only allowing shotguns, black powder, and rifles in pistol calibers, no high power.

Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
                    Toby Keith

Comment

I have a Ruger model 77 .270 that I've had since 1979, great all around deer gun; but, I do want to get me another...gotta justify it somehow, looking to get the new federal .338 caliber (same gun-Ruger along with a Leupold VX3)
                      It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
                      Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

I've got the rifle, I just want to get back out there! I hate hunting in the heat, so that means no opening day hunts here in Texas. I have to wait until the end of the season before I'll get out there.

When the time does come, I'll have my trusty Remington 700 LTR in .308win:

The last time I was out, I had this rifle with me and watched a spike buck prancing around the field in-and-out of the wood-line. He was nibbling leaves on the trees, as I practiced holding on a moving target. I couldn't decide whether or not to take him for a long while, and finished the season without meat...

My LTR has yet to take game, but that era is soon coming to an end.
                        Last edited by jwise; 09-04-2009, 09:42 AM.
                        J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

The number one game getter in my collection is my Remington 700 BDL in .308 that I've owned since 1975, and it's great in the open country of Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and Washington, but in the woods, I rely on my Marlin .444 it is a awesome brush gun and now with the new Hornandy Leverevolution ammo, I can't wait to see how it does against larger game at better than 100 feet.

Comment

I rely on my Marlin .444 it is a awesome brush gun
                            I love mine. I just made to 300gr JHPs for it and looking for some time to get out and shoot.

Comment

Last edited by bankfraudguy; 03-16-2011, 02:10 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4628 users online. 283 members and 4345 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X