300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acog 1.5x16 for patrol?

Does anyone have any experience with these Acogs? Most of the reviews I have seen have been of the 4x32. The consensus seems to be that Acogs are awesome but not necessarily for a LE carbine. Just wondering if these lower power models might be the ticket. Thanks!

Originally posted by kwp316 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with these Acogs? Most of the reviews I have seen have been of the 4x32. The consensus seems to be that Acogs are awesome but not necessarily for a LE carbine. Just wondering if these lower power models might be the ticket. Thanks!
    At 1.5X, why not just get an Aimpoint? The difference between the two is that with the Aimpoint, the image doesn't "swim" in the ocular lens, but instead is parallax free.
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Jwise, which aimpoint do you recommend? Any thoughts on the micro?

Comment

i would stick with a regular aimpoint for the wider field of view you get with the bigger tube.

Comment

I use an Aimpoint CompML2 on my M4 at work. I love it. Most law enforcement scenarios don't require you to engage a target past 50 yards. The Aimpoint red dot is perfect for when my unit does felony stops and take downs.

Comment

I would recommend anything from Aimpoint's lineup. The Micro is excellent, but it costs more. The M4 is nice, because it uses AA batteries and has a built-in mount. The M3 is cheaper than the M4 or T1 (Micro), and still has the same battery life (50,000 hrs). The M2 is cheaper than the M3, but only has 10,000 hr battery life. It is also only available in 4MOA dot reticle, vs. the 2MOA or 4MOA option on the others.
            J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nkpd44 View Post
              i would stick with a regular aimpoint for the wider field of view you get with the bigger tube.
              If you're using the red dot optic correctly (two eyes open), then the tube diameter doesn't matter.
              J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

Thanks again,
                I have another stupid question regarding BUIS. Can you explain co-witness? I will need to add a folding rear sight since I will be removing the carry handle from my 6920. Will I need to change out the front sight also? I believe 1/3 co-witness is when the BUIS appear in the lower third of the optic, corrrect? Is this the preferred way to set it up?

Comment

Thanks again,
                  I have another stupid question regarding BUIS. Can you explain co-witness? I will need to add a folding rear sight since I will be removing the carry handle from my 6920. Will I need to change out the front sight also? I believe 1/3 co-witness is when the BUIS appear in the lower third of the optic, corrrect? Is this the preferred way to set it up?
                  There are advantages and disadvantages of lower 1/3rd. The advantage, is that the optic is up a bit higher, allowing an unimpeded view of the target through the optic. This is BS if you ask me, because I've been running my optics "true" co-witness for years without issue. If you run your optic correctly (two eyes open), then the reticle is all that is superimposed over the target, and you never even notice the rear sight or front sight. You'll only see them when you lower your head all the way down to the stock and look through the rear peep.

Co-witness has come to mean that you can use the iron sights at the same time you can use the optic.

TRUE co-witness (which I am now forced to say) means that the optic's reticle is lined up with the rear and front sights, so that it appears the tip of the front sight is illuminated when you look through the irons.

I like this, as it allows you to "confirm" zero after removing and re-attaching your optic, without going to the range. In addition, you don't have to buy a silly riser for your EOTech/Aimpoint.

You will not need to replace your front sight. The FSB is the best front sight that you can have on your rifle. Leave it alone!
                  J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

Thanks again,
                    Look into the Larue or LMT fixed rear buis. I feel that a fixed rear is more appropriate for LE work, while folding sights, while useful, are more adapted to optics that extend over the rear of the upper reciever.

Comment

Originally posted by 11b101abn View Post
                      Look into the Larue or LMT fixed rear buis. I feel that a fixed rear is more appropriate for LE work, while folding sights, while useful, are more adapted to optics that extend over the rear of the upper reciever.
                      What he said. Sorry, I must have missed making that point.

J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

If i were to choose the T-1, which mount in order to achieve true co-witness? Am I understanding correctly that if I went with any of the other aimpoints or eotechs that I will have true co-witness without needing an additional mount?
                        I see you have an EOtech. Why did you choose that over an Aimpoint? On a side note, ever hear anything about the rifle courses Blackwater puts on for LEO's? Thanks!

Comment

Only the m4 can be mounted to co-witness without a new mount. The others need an aftermarket mount.

The T1 Micro is 19mm off the rail, whereas the iron sights are 25mm. You'll need a riser to get the T1 up to 25mm.

I have an EOTech because I like it's reticle better, and takes AA batteries. The m4 wasn't out when I got my EOTechs.
                          J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

I run a lower 1/3 cowitness on my M2.

My reasoning is this. When I am on the irons having more scope tube above my irons doesn't cause any problems. I don't notice that it's there. If the Aimpoint is on then the dot floats on the front sight post. If it's not, then it's just the clear tip.

When I am NOT using the irons more uncluttered FOV is a good thing. It gets the dot higher over the irons if I am centering it in the tube (which is not necessary) and gives me a better chance of seeing HANDS without them being obstructed by the irons.

When it all boils down it's a matter of personal preference. I would never tell someone they are wrong for using a center cowitness. I just prefer the lower 1/3rd.

Now if you wear a helmet that has the stupid snap on the wrong side you will REALLY see the benefit of the higher optic. I REALLY need a new helmet.....anyone want to send me a Gunfighter?
                            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                            8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Shooting with a gas mask is difficult, but manageable with center co-witness. I assume it would be a bit easier with lower 1/3rd.
                              J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5860 users online. 302 members and 5558 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X