300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .22 LR for training

I have recently picked up two .22 lr shooters, a single action revolver with the .22 mag cylinder and a Savage 64 rifle, semi-auto with a detachable mag. Additionally I have a semi-auto pistol in .22 lr.

The reason I am bringing this up is because of an article I read in SWAT magazine about using .22's for practice to offset the cost of using regular rounds of 9mm, .40 cal or .45 ACP (or even .38/.357) and it really makes sense for several reasons.
    1) Even people who dont like to shoot tend to not mind the .22
    2) There are so many different .22's out there that you can find one similar in size and function so the use of the .22 is cost efficient.
    3) More ranges accept .22 over anything else.
    4) Pump .22's can act like a shot gun and require more accuracy.
    5) Semi-auto rifles can be modified easily to act like a patrol rifle or even a "sniper" type rifle by yourself with a kit or parts or by a 'smith with parts.
    6) Showing family about your job and equipment just got a lot less frightening when they see a .22 over a .223 or 12 ga. and since they work the same way teaching just became easier.

I know this should not replace actually shooting with your duty guns, with full power loads 3-4 times a year but I really think this is a great option for those of us on a budget who like to shoot.

How does everyone else think about this?
    Yes, this is practical and sensible especially in this economy.
    66.67%
    No, training should be made as real as possible so full loads and duty guns should be used only.
    0.00%
    Sometimes, .22's are just another training tool that can be used on occaision.
    33.33%

The poll is expired.

Be safe, watch their hands and always check your "6"

I shoot about 5000 .22lr rounds per year through a ciener conversion for my 1911 duty pistol. My range scores are much higher than before. The reason is I could not afford to put as much .45 downrange thus practiced much less.

Comment

.22's are great but I still like to shoot my other weapons more than 3-4 times per year. Usually I bring all my weapons on each shooting trip, and the .22's just happen to be fired a lot more. But I am not LE so I won't vote and skew the poll.

Comment

IMO dry fire is a great training tool. Having said that .22's are also a great training tool. If someone does not have the funds to purchase rounds, than dry fire is great and .22's are even better. Nothing replaces actual live fire of the weapon and caliber of round that is your primary, however a lot can be learned from dry fire and the use of a smaller and / or lesser power round. If that is the best way for someone to get in the necessary repetitions, than it is of course a good training tool.

As mentioned, again IMO, a .22 conversion on your primary weapon is the most ideal. Ergo's, mechanics, functionality and gear will remain constant.
        The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by Surf View Post
          As mentioned, again IMO, a .22 conversion on your primary weapon is the most ideal. Ergo's, mechanics, functionality and gear will remain constant.
          Yeah, buddy just got a P226 .22 slide, I'm gonna see how that works out for him, and if it does well, I want to get it as well....

100 rounds for 4 bux... I'm cool with that

Comment

I certainly dont believe shooting 22 can replace duty round quals and practice but I think its a good additional tool in this economy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4828 users online. 204 members and 4624 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X