• Ruger SR-556 Tactical Rifle

Anybody got one?

What u think?

Who stocks them? How much?

Originally posted by SWATCybercop View Post
    Anybody got one?

What u think?

Who stocks them? How much?
    Probably too new to be stocked. But knowing Ruger, it'll probably be a quality product.
    Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

Wow. Too high for this cop's budget!
      Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

SWEET!!!!
        I shoot, therefore I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Woofdog View Post
          Probably too new to be stocked. But knowing Ruger, it'll probably be a quality product.

Wow I am going to have to disagree with you there.

They have not even corrected their issues with their Mini 14's and mag availability for the Mini 30....I will not hold my breath.
          Stick with established AR makers,especially at their price.

I bet Ruger will have a handfull of recalls on this mofo (a la the LCP).

This being said I currently own 3 Rugers and grew up shooting them but their fit and finish and overall "quality" has not been a great selling feature IMHO.
          Make the world a better place....punch a hippie in the face.

Be polite to everyone but be ready to kill them at a moments notice.

Former 11B3P, airborne!

Comment

Originally posted by OperatorEX
            I've been doing a lot of research into the rifle as I'm in the market.

A lot of people are suffering from bolt carrier tilt, which is a common problem with piston driven AR systems that a lot of us were hoping Ruger would have remedied but apparently has/did not. For the time being, it's not the rifle for me.
            What's bolt carrier tilt?
            sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

Originally posted by zeplin View Post
              What's bolt carrier tilt?
              Ditto.
              I shoot, therefore I am.

Comment

Ditto..........
                Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

It's the symptom of a design that doesn't resolve the vectoring of the forces. See, the bolt carrier is supposed go straight back, but when the force moving it rearward is applied to the highest point of the key, the bolt's rear bottom edge is then forced down, and grinds against the receiver and buffer tube.

This is why the bolt carrier on my LWRC is swelled at the rear, to avoid just such an occurrence.
                  J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jwise View Post
                    It's the symptom of a design that doesn't resolve the vectoring of the forces. See, the bolt carrier is supposed go straight back, but when the force moving it rearward is applied to the highest point of the key, the bolt's rear bottom edge is then forced down, and grinds against the receiver and buffer tube.

This is why the bolt carrier on my LWRC is swelled at the rear, to avoid just such an occurrence.
                    And what are the symtoms of this and possible malfunctions?
                    I shoot, therefore I am.

Comment

The bolt carrier tilts, and either grinds away at the metal on the bottom of the upper receiver channel or the bottom of the buffer tube. As you might imagine, it also causes malfunctions if not lubed properly.

In short, it damages the rifle.
                      J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Interesting
                        sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

Ruger came out with their Mini-14 20 c/f not too long ago. It was intended to be the "tactical" version, but the accuracy problem was never improved upon. It's not like the platform was brand spakin' new to them either.

Now we have Ruger trying to pass a new systems platform. If past performance is an indicator, I'll bet the SR-556 will be moderately better in 20 years.

Comment

Me go look at mine.

Thanks for that pic.
                            I shoot, therefore I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Woofdog View Post
                              Woof, I picked one up at the One Stop Cop Shop in Ogden today for a lot less than 1,800. It appears to be very well built, something I've come to expect from Ruger. As soon as I trick it out with optics and a tactical light, I'll sight it in & report on it's performance & accuracy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3804 users online. 264 members and 3540 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X