X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pulicords
    replied
    Originally posted by 135dB View Post
    So one question I had is do they run ballistic tests on the guns that are turned in that actually work? Just to make sure they aren't gonna melt down evidence to a shooting?
    Those running this program go through great efforts to assure the public that these guns will not checked for ballistics evidence (linking them to crimes) and persons turning them in will not be identified. Supposedly, their serial numbers will be checked (before destruction), so if they were reported stolen, they can be returned to the owners.

Ultimately, the City and County of Los Angeles politicians (read: chief of police and sheriff) feel it's better to openly offer to destroy evidence of serious crimes (like murder and attempted murder) and to help conceal the ID of the perpetrators, than to rely on real police work to make their communities safer. Seeing nonsense like this, makes me embarrassed to be associated with the profession.

Leave a comment:

• Sleuth
    replied
    Sorry to disapoint, but I don't even think it is a street sweeper! It appears, from the picture to be one of the manually operated (using the forward handgrip), pump action, drum fed shotguns made briefly years ago. I have fired street sweepers, and they look different. It could be I am deceived by the angle of the photo, but the back of the reciever and the barrel do not look like a street sweeper to me!

And no, if you turn in a gun (how can they ""buy Back"" something they never sold?), it's "no questions asked!" - like your name, address, etc. Valuable stolen property gets melted along with the junk.

Leave a comment:

• Mitchell_in_CT
    replied
    Originally posted by cclawdog View Post
    Also, make sure you're not turning in Grandpa's war souvenir that may be worth THOUSANDS more than the $100 gift card or sneakers you just traded in for. Seen it happen and I just wanted to cry.
    If Grandpa had an unregistered NFA weapon, it may be worth a lot of trouble...

Leave a comment:

• 135dB
    replied
    So one question I had is do they run ballistic tests on the guns that are turned in that actually work? Just to make sure they aren't gonna melt down evidence to a shooting?

Leave a comment:

• TimK
    replied
    Is that Saddam Hussein standing behind the Lieutenant?

Leave a comment:

• cclawdog
    replied
    Also, make sure you're not turning in Grandpa's war souvenir that may be worth THOUSANDS more than the $100 gift card or sneakers you just traded in for. Seen it happen and I just wanted to cry.

Leave a comment:

• cclawdog
    replied
    Just goes to show exactly how much the liberal media actually knows and how bad they want to portray guns in a bad light. You almost never hear of how guns save lives. An old man in suburban Chicago blasted a dude breakin into his house for the SECOND time in a week. All the media wanted to do was blast the guy for having a handgun in a town that bans them. Judge did something smart and ruled in his favor but took dang near two years.

Leave a comment:

• zeplin
    replied
    thats funny! nobody heard of fact checking I guess...
    Facts??? What are those???

Leave a comment:

• jannino
    replied
    LAPD's finest right there

Leave a comment:

• dadyswat
    replied
    thats funny! nobody heard of fact checking I guess...
    And the liberal media will run with it and most Americans don't know te difference.

Leave a comment:

• PS100
    replied
    Not only do they misidentify it, but they even put a link from wikipedia with information- and pictures- of the actual Thompson SMG...you would think the writer who put the article together and hyperlinked the other site, would have at least visited it...!

Leave a comment:

• pulicords
    replied
    Makes one wonder how many guns they personally seized while working the street? There's a whole different career path managers take to get in the ivory tower, and it usually doesn't include much time investigating crime, arresting violent criminals, and learning about guns. Learning about and manipulating the press, public opinion, and presenting an image for self-aggrandizement, involve "skills" very different from those developed by "the troops" dealing with crimes and people who commit them. A necessary "evil" I suppose, but I find them embarrassing when they deviate so far from the truth.

Leave a comment:

• Till
    replied
    Misinformation-spreading ***holes...

FJDave hit right on the head...

"Jesus! It's got one of those drum-clip things!"
    Last edited by Till; 06-15-2009, 04:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jim57
    replied
    Everything else was probably something in the nature of a .25 auto, so they chose the most formidable weapon they could find. Don't you just love boneheads in those wonderfully photogenic poses?

jim

Leave a comment:

• shastadude16
    replied
    My bad. Thanks for the correction Dave.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4929 users online. 294 members and 4635 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X