Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 problem

Ok guys, here's how it went down,

I dry fired my SA Operator, 5". Now the safety is partially engaged and the hammer will not move. I am unable to field strip due to the partially engaged safety.

Other than the obvious of sending it to Springfield, what should I do?
    ROLL TIDE!!!

Have you tried removing the slide? Bull barrel or does it have a bushing?
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

It has a bushing. However, due to the safety being partially in the notch in the slide, the slide will not move.
      ROLL TIDE!!!

Comment

With the bushing removed and the take-down/slide lock lever removed, the slide won't go forward either?

Don't know what you tell you.
        NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
          With the bushing removed and the take-down/slide lock lever removed, the slide won't go forward either?

Don't know what you tell you.

Is it in full battery?

plastic mallet on the back of the slide to get it in battery?

NOT A GUN EXPERT
          "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

I assume you're referring to the THUMB safety (there are several different safeties on newer 1911's).

You might wanna check out www.1911forum.com and see if they can't get you fixed up instead of shipping the gun back.
            Last edited by Sgt. Slaughter; 06-10-2009, 12:16 PM.
            NRA Life Member

Comment

Stop.

Take the gun to a smith or call SA customer service. If this weapon will ever be used for defensive purposes "getting it running" is not good enough. Getting it to 100% is.

Dry firing should never be an issue with a 1911. I think you have some fitting issues with the fire control components, but I am NOT a 1911 smith.
              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
              8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

We’re not over looking the obvious here are we?

Simply lower the safety, and pull back the hammer to release potential tension on the half safety?

Over the weekend I had a piece of cob (brass cleaning media) get caught in the slide release preventing it from dropping and keeping the slide retracted (nothing a bit of compressed air couldn't rectify).Little bits of things can get in places and keep other things from working properly.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
                - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Send it to a smith. Even if you get it fixed, it needs to gone through and fixed. This is not a common issue on a 1911. Call Springfield, they are great to work with. If your a sworn Peace Officer they will rush everything for you.

Comment

Thanks guys!

I'll be putting in a call to SA tomorrow. I WAS planning on qualifying with this as my duty weapon. Now I'll have to really put it through the paces before I can fully trust it.

Oh, by the way, you guys have given much better response than that other forum mentioned above.

I never had an issue like this with a Glock.

Thanks to everyone!
                    ROLL TIDE!!!

Comment

I called SA customer service. So far, so good. I received an email with the shipping info within an hour. The customer service representative was very friendly and helpful.

Now it's all packaged up and ready to go.
                      ROLL TIDE!!!

Comment

Good. Keep us informed of the progress.
                        NRA Life Member

Comment

Originally posted by ABC144 View Post
                          Thanks guys!

I'll be putting in a call to SA tomorrow. I WAS planning on qualifying with this as my duty weapon. Now I'll have to really put it through the paces before I can fully trust it.

Oh, by the way, you guys have given much better response than that other forum mentioned above.

I never had an issue like this with a Glock.

Thanks to everyone!

Well, since a Glock doesn't have a thumb safety or a hammer, it impossible to have the same problem...

Comment

Originally posted by CobaltNC View Post
                            Well, since a Glock doesn't have a thumb safety or a hammer, it impossible to have the same problem...
                            That's right! There are plenty of other things that can go wrong with them.
                            NRA Life Member

Comment

I was referring to the fact that ALL of my Glocks have worked flawlessly from day one. So far, with SA, it has been only 50%. My second SA and already an unecessary problem. I'm not totally put out with them yet. I am a little disappointed.
                              ROLL TIDE!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6674 users online. 325 members and 6349 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X