300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just picked up my first Black Rifle

Just took delivery of my first AR15 today. It's a Stag Model 1. Got it for $855 LEO pricing. Ordered all the way back in November. Can't wait to shoot it. Looking for a little advice from the experts. The AR thread is awesome and helped with my purchase. I need to fire away with some dumb questions, but please be patient with me as I am green when it comes to this particular weapon. I already know I am going to purchase a Spec Ops Mamba sling, an Eotech Red Dot sight, and probably a surefire flash light. I noticed that the AR thread recommneded upgrading the bolt to an LMT and also the buffer. I am assuming I need to purchase an enhanced bolt carrier group form LMT($129). Is this correct? If so, this will include a properly staked gas key right?

Is your gas key not properly staked?
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter. You will meet them doing various things with resolve, but their interest rarely holds because after the other thing ordinary life is as flat as the taste of wine when the taste buds have been burned off your tongue." -Ernest Hemingway

Comment

No it isn't properly staked. I expected it though since Jwise covered it in the Ar thread. I was hoping maybe they would have changed there process by now. I'll post pics later.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy07 View Post
        No it isn't properly staked. I expected it though since Jwise covered it in the Ar thread. I was hoping maybe they would have changed there process by now. I'll post pics later.

Restake it. Problem solved.
        sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

I may not have communicated CLEARLY in the BIG thread, but here is what I MEANT to say. If you have ALREADY purchased a rifle/bolt/bolt carrier, then don't worry about the LMT enhanced bolt. If you are in the midst of a purchase decision, and you have the money to spend, then spending a little extra on that particular part isn't a waste of money. It may not be entirely needed, but it isn't a waste of money.

Show me a picture of the "staked" gas key before you purchase anything. It's probably fine. As for the buffer, I think you are referring to the O-ring. The H Buffer may be preferred, but if you have the standard buffer I would not worry about upgrading at this point. Again, these are "pre-purchase" decisions, not necessarily things I'd recommend paying for after the initial purchase (unless you're having reliability problems.)

However, if you have a large surplus of cash, and want your rifle to be as reliable as humanly possible, go ahead and get the LMT bolt carrier group and H Buffer, but just don't feel like you "have" to...
          Last edited by jwise; 06-10-2009, 08:45 AM.
          J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

the stake job on the stag will be fine... mine has plenty of rounds through it, and no problems yet.. perhaps you can get the LMT one, and just keep it as a spare

Comment

If the Mamba sling is the 3 pt w/ the bungee, keep in mind that bungee works both ways, and three points have a bunch of extra unneeded material.

I use and recommend the VTAC 2 pt sling, padded. I have used this in training, and on the "job", and it is good to go. I can also recommend the Blue Force Gear VCAS 2 pt. Everything you need and nothing you dont.

Oh, and Pics, man, pics.

Comment

If STAG is still staking the same way, it is far from effective. If you don't have access to a MOAKS tool, you can do a more simple yet effective "field staking" with a punch.

Looks something like this...The staking on the right is more correct but I would prefer 3 punch stakings in a triangle like on the left.

The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Here of some photos of the gun and the gas key staking.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy07 View Post
                    Here of some photos of the gun and the gas key staking.
                    Very typical of STAG. You need to get with someone that actually knows how to properly stake gas key bolts and get it done. With that kind of staking it is just a matter of time before they start getting loose.
                    "Life's goal should not be to show up at your final resting spot in a well rested, well preserved body ready to pass on.... But rather sliding in side ways late for your own passing, tired, beaten down and yelling holy $hit what a ride!!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by GLOCKMASTER View Post
                      Very typical of STAG. You need to get with someone that actually knows how to properly stake gas key bolts and get it done. With that kind of staking it is just a matter of time before they start getting loose.
                      That's why I am considering getting an upgraded LMT bolt carrier group. I'll then get the Stag properly staked and keep it as a spare.

Comment

With all due respect Rudy, and not to be a Colt snob, but after upgrading the Stag, new BCG, current one re-staked, you are getting close to LE pricing on a Colt6920. Just a thought.
                        The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Rudy, you can restake it yourself using a small center punch and a small hammer.

Surf is correct about what you're talking about spending on it. Why not send it back and get a Colt. You'll be much happier.
                          sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

Originally posted by Surf View Post
                            With all due respect Rudy, and not to be a Colt snob, but after upgrading the Stag, new BCG, current one re-staked, you are getting close to LE pricing on a Colt6920. Just a thought.
                            I only paid $855 for the Stag with LEO pricing. It's my first AR and probaby won't be my last. Next one will be a Colt for sure.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4460 users online. 240 members and 4220 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X