Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Theoretical Scenario - Choose Your Weapon!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Theoretical Scenario - Choose Your Weapon!

Ok guys, humor me with this one. I figured it might be a nice break from the Obama/AWB II threads.

You are the Sheriff in a small midwestern county, with a very low population. There are two deputies in the county, one of which is out of town, the other is out sick. Usually things are pretty quiet, so this shouldn't be a problem. As you pull onto the main street of a local town, you hear a barrage of gunfire. About 5 Outlaws/Hell's Angels/Mongols are breaking into storefronts, and pretty much shooting up the place. They appear to all be armed with handguns and short-barreled shotguns. Backup is a long ways off, but citizens are being injured/killed, and you must take decisive action.

This isn't a question about tactics. The question is, when you reach into your trunk/rack, what weapon would you want to be there to deal with the situation?

Let's pretend budget/monetary concerns are not a problem. The only rules are:

- You are limited to 2 long guns, 1 handgun
    - None of them can be belt-fed, crew-served, or capable of launching high explosive projectiles

Originally posted by Xanadu View Post
    Ok guys, humor me with this one. I figured it might be a nice break from the Obama/AWB II threads.

You are the Sheriff in a small midwestern county, with a very low population. There are two deputies in the county, one of which is out of town, the other is out sick. Usually things are pretty quiet, so this shouldn't be a problem. As you pull onto the main street of a local town, you hear a barrage of gunfire. About 5 Outlaws/Hell's Angels/Mongols are breaking into storefronts, and pretty much shooting up the place. They appear to all be armed with handguns and short-barreled shotguns. Backup is a long ways off, but citizens are being injured/killed, and you must take decisive action.

This isn't a question about tactics. The question is, when you reach into your trunk/rack, what weapon would you want to be there to deal with the situation?

Let's pretend budget/monetary concerns are not a problem. The only rules are:

- You are limited to 2 long guns, 1 handgun
    - None of them can be belt-fed, crew-served, or capable of launching high explosive projectiles
    AR15 in a .308 with match barrel, match ammo, and a Nightforce Optics 8-42x56 Scope.

That and about 600yds-1200yds of will take care of the situation very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Maciej View Post
      AR15 in a .308 with match barrel, match ammo, and a Nightforce Optics 8-42x56 Scope.

That and about 600yds-1200yds of will take care of the situation very quickly.
      Excellent choice. A co-worker of mine recently picked up a DPMS LR-308AP4, and it shoots beautifully. Now he just needs to top it off with some suitable optics...

Comment

A fanciful solution to a fanciful question.

Comment

And by the way, Dirty Harry would have done it with one gun, a .44 magnum!!!!

And no reloads.

Comment

I got my answer in my bedroom....

FAL

10 X 20rd mags of 7.62X51 (.308) ready to go...

and yes, I built it myself and it'll best my $1000 AR-15.

I don't carry it for patrol, since it's a little too long & heavy. It is 100% reliable using ammo from 3rd world countries of 5 different continents, and it will kill ANYTHING big enough to die that's ever walked the Earth. I'll stitch up a T-Rex with that mamma-jamma.

Sometimes...

Battle Rifle > Assault Rifle
            Last edited by DaisyCutter; 03-19-2009, 11:49 PM.
            "Too many times, too many times payin' the price, just for the thrill" - Tesla

Comment

Anything I can shoot accurately and quickly...

Probably something in an AR platform...
              “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

When all else fails, Trunkmonkey.
                Officer Down Memorial Page

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8avOiTUcD4Y

Comment

AR15... and keep my distance!!! min of 100 yards, if possible, more separation. an ACOG would be fine, but i'll work with my Eotech with a magnifier

i would probably prefer a .308 in a semi platform, like the M1 with a nice scope

Comment

7.62x51 magazine feed rifle with 3x-5x optic. Engage suspects from distance and you could probably take a couple before they realized what was happening.

If I had to close ranks, or go into a building after them I would want some kind of close quarters rifle or subgun...SBR format AR, or maybe MP-5 in 10mm.

Hi capacity .45ACP pistol for backup.
                      "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

Originally posted by Xanadu View Post
                        Excellent choice. A co-worker of mine recently picked up a DPMS LR-308AP4, and it shoots beautifully. Now he just needs to top it off with some suitable optics...
                        I would love to build one but it just costs way to much at this point. For now I'm sticking with my M700 .223.

Comment

Originally posted by HEDP View Post

A fanciful solution to a fanciful question.

Yeah, I realize the scenario is a pretty remote one. However, what I'm trying to get at is what you'd prefer to be armed with in the situation of facing off against multiple active shooters without immediate backup.

Comment

Long arm # 1 = Longer range (50-600 yards) some kind of .308.

Since I own an AR10 20", this will suffice. Topped off with a low powered variable scope (preferably something in the 1-4 or 1.5-8 range).

Long arm # 2 = Shotgun

Don't own any shotgun yet, but a Saiga 12 w/ 25 round mags would do nicely.

Pistol = Some kind of hicap .45

Either an XD45 Tact or HK USP45F.

Comment

None of the above. OMGs are about making $$$ and having their version of a good time... They're probably not going to just go breaking into storefronts and then go just killing random people. Hell, unless it's just a fight where someone winds up dead, even the Mongols put some thought into who they are killing (not really why... but who).

But... besides that part, all you need is an AR. I wouldn't exactly throw my handgun in the trunk... but it probably wouldn't come out of the holster either.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4960 users online. 297 members and 4663 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X