300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 Carry Options

Now that I have my 1911, does anyone have any ideas on holsters? I would like to carry it, but I do not want another Fobus like I have for my Glock. I am a little concerned about the Blackhawk Serpa's being of a hard material that may damage the finish. I like leather, but they tend to be so bulky. I would like a good multi-purpose holster that is able to be carried, and offers protection for the gun, but I also understand that may not be feasable. Also, for those with 1911's, do you carry it with 1 in the chamber and the hammer back, or do you use some other method? I know there are safetys in place, but leaving the hammer back is going to have to take some getting used to.

Desantis Cozy Partner.

It's NOT bulky at all. Snaps on and off quickly. Has a "sweat guard" to protect the thumb safety from digging into your luv-handles.

If you don't carry a 1911 "Cocked and Locked" then you need to leave it at home. It's a confidence issue. If you don't have confidence in it then you need a different weapon. I am not being mean, just stating a fact. A 1911 is a professionals weapon. It takes a higher level of commitment to carry and shoot one. Getting used to "cocked and locked" carry is one of those.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post

If you don't carry a 1911 "Cocked and Locked" then you need to leave it at home. It's a confidence issue. If you don't have confidence in it then you need a different weapon. I am not being mean, just stating a fact. A 1911 is a professionals weapon. It takes a higher level of commitment to carry and shoot one. Getting used to "cocked and locked" carry is one of those.
      No, I know your not being mean. I am just new to the 1911 world and am trying to adapt. I'm used to a Glock, and although I still love it, I have taken this political "change" as the opportunity to expand my collection and options. I bought the 1911 with no intentions of carrying it, but now that I've shot it, well let's just say I'm shopping for a carry holster! Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

I've got an Uncle Mike's Kydex that mine rides in. I haven't had any issues with it. Anything by Fobus I recommend getting rid of.

A 1911 is designed to be carried "cocked and locked." Most likely, you carry your Glock in the same fashion. The only difference is that you can visibly see the external hammer is cocked to fire. Really, it is no different than many other semi-auto weapons that way.

I have a different opinion of 1911's than Blackdog. While many professionals do spend the time to learn the manual of arms for the 1911-style pistols, I don't personally find that it takes a "higher level of commitment." The 1911 was one of the earliest American semi-auto designs ever produced. Only lately, with the advent of Glock-type weapons where most of the safety features are INTERNAL vs. external, has the 1911 developed the persona of a "professional's weapon of choice."

It's easy enough to sweep the safety as part of the draw stroke and requires NO extra movements to bring the pistol to bear. I carry a Glock at work in a Safariland ALS holster. I haven't had any problems transitioning back and forth between it and my off-duty Kimber. Yes, they feel different in my hand, they point differently, too. However, marksmanship principles still remain the same.

Enjoy your new status as a 1911 "snob!"
        NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post

Enjoy your new status as a 1911 "snob!"
          Thanks, I am already enjoying it!

Comment

Consider JIT holsters. They are not bulky at all, leather is a nice complement to your 1911. You can personalize leather in a way you can't with nylon or kydex.

Carry condition - Cocked & Locked.

Comment

i have a couple of milt sparks summer special holsters for my full size & compact 1911's. they fit & feel better than anything else i've tried.
              "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Comment

I love my SERPA. It will wear on the finish though. I put some moleskin inside my holster to protect the black finish on my Kimber, that works well. I don't carry the Kimber much right now though.

Cocked & Locked is the only useful way of carrying the 1911. It's mor esafe than your Glock even with the hammer back. Like the Glock fans say "it'll only go off if you pull the trigger..."

I've started carrying a Springfield XD45 and it was hard to become comfortable NOT having a thumb safety. It took a while to become accustomed to it...

I still carry the 1911 on extraditions as it is so much more comfortable IWB.
                Last edited by KenW.; 03-18-2009, 11:52 AM.
                I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

1911s are actually not bad to carry as they are big but slim. I carry mine IWB and its fine. As to holsters, leather will wear a gun just as kydex but it is a different wear in a way, you'd have to see it. I agree with all of the above carry cocked and locked as thats how it is designed. Do you only do 5 mph in your car because the breaks may fail? Follow the standard safety rules and you'll be fine plus some including myself love the thumb shelf created by the thumb safety. Also there is a strong response it seems from us 1911 owners so dont be offended and remember the sooner you start using it, the sooner you'll be ONE OF US
                  Last edited by anubismp; 03-18-2009, 11:38 AM.

Comment

That compact Rock Island Armory 1911 is still down at the pawn shop, laser grip and all, for $640. Now that it's been there a month I bet they'd go for $600 out the door. I'm so very sorely tempted.
                    **Not a LEO**

Comment

Milt Sparks VM-II or Summer Special II. It will disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre View Post
                        Milt Sparks VM-II or Summer Special II. It will disappear.
                        +1 on the VMII. I can conceal it with a t-shirt if it isn't tight.
                        Mike

Comment

You guys double up on the shirts? One undershirt with a t-shirt or regular one on the top? It's kinda friggin' warm down here....
                          NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
                            You guys double up on the shirts? One undershirt with a t-shirt or regular one on the top? It's kinda friggin' warm down here....
                            A slightly baggy t-shirt alone will do for me sometimes, if it's a darker color. I also wear a "wife beater" tucked in with a loose button up shirt over (unbuttoned) too. A lot of it depends on where you're going, what style of dress is acceptable.
                            Mike

Comment

Thanks everyone. I just wanted some re-assurance about carrying "cocked and locked." I am going to a gun store today to check a few out. Thanks again.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4754 users online. 333 members and 4421 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X