300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magpul ASAP Sling Plate and Multi Mission Sling

I'm not usually a fan of a single point sling... however... after watching this Demonstration I'm interested in this system...

Thoughts?
    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Reminds me of the Chalker setup a little bit. Big difference is the Magpul version has that rear 180* plate. Chalker had the little nylon loops that continually pizzed me off.

In reality, that sling system seem a bit "busy." The Magpul rep almost buttstroked himself a couple times. The "quick detach" feature to transition to a 2-point sling, loosen the sling, slide the long gun behind you, tighten the sling again....just seems like way too much for a patrol monkey.

I'm not even sure our SWAT guys would use most of that. Now I COULD see Spec Ops/FAST Co./Delta-type guys maybe working with that. That's because they've got the time to devote to it, but for LE? I bet most people will pass.

Who's the kid in the green?
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

I like the fact that it easily goes from either 2-point to 1-point or 1-point to 2-point with no effort. I'd keep it in a 2-point 90% of the time for my use, but it's nice to have the option.

Now as for Chris Costa... and "urban prone"... don't get me started!
      Last edited by dbphotos; 03-14-2009, 11:00 PM.
      David Bailey Photography | Bailey Tactical

sigpic

"Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor satan shudders and says oh hell he's awake!"

Comment

Well, I like the different options offered, and I'm with you db, I would keep it in two point most of the time... still pretty high speed...

If you follow the link in that youtube section for "part3" and "part 4" you see the oh so sexy Massoud....

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

man, i'd love to go to shot show some year...
          -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
          -Daniel Silva

Comment

Originally posted by dbphotos View Post

Now as for Chris Costa... and "urban prone"... don't get me started!

I'm interested in your opinions. I know several extremely squared away individuals that have had nothing but good things to say about Costa and the things he teaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Chubs View Post
              I'm interested in your opinions. I know several extremely squared away individuals that have had nothing but good things to say about Costa and the things he teaches.
              As am I.... what's wrong with "urban prone?"

Comment

I guess I should have rephrased my earlier comment. I have nothing against Chris Costa personally and he seems like a good guy and a great shooter. There are lots of different training methods and trainers, you have to find what works for you. With that said, here are my concerns.

If you watch his Magpul rifle training videos, he just does several things (like the 90 degree mag reload) that isn't easy or practical to teach most shooters. I prefer the tac reload taught by Paul Howe and others, just as fast and no weird hand manipulation.

As far as urban prone, it teaches you to use a curb as cover and to shoot sideways over the curb or a to shoot under a car. My opinion is that if there is a curb nearby, there is a buidling or other structure nearby too and that building or structure offers me a lot more concealment and protection than a 6-8 inch curb. What if you're body is more than 6-8 inches tall/wide? Most of your body will be fully exposed to direct hits and ricochets and you will have lost any ability to be quickly mobile. If your shooting from under a car you have opened yourself up to ricochets and again have greatly limited your mobilitiy. If you have to shoot around a vehicle, I'd rather shoot over the hood, have much more of my body behind solid cover and be mobile.

Even the FBI has gotten away from training the urban prone position because of the issues I've raised.

Does this look like a good tactical postion?

David Bailey Photography | Bailey Tactical

sigpic

"Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor satan shudders and says oh hell he's awake!"

Comment

Well, I look at "urban prone" as just another tool in the tool box...

I agree with some of the more "simple" techniques such as some of MSG Howe's teachings, but, as I said, another tool....

Comment

Originally posted by dbphotos View Post
                    Does this look like a good tactical postion?

If it's the best you've got at that time, it's the best you've got. I'm not saying it's ideal by any means, but many times we don't get to choose when/where the fight starts.

I'm not familiar with the tac reload Paul Howe teaches, but I honestly don't find Costa's reload all that difficult. IMO he's doing nothing other than bringing the carbine into his space while looking over the top of his barrel. The magazine flip looks fancy but is nothing more than a rotation of the carbine after checking the chamber.

Comment

I bought the plate/sling combo when it was released. I haven't had a chance to install it but the only negative I see about the whole thing is the chain link on the plate. It looks noisy.

Comment

Ref that video... who is that totally cool kid for a host?

Comment

I think he refers to him self as a "civilian enthusiast".
                          War to the knife and knife to the hilt.

TERM LIMITS!

Comment

One advantage is he doesn't know the jargon nor specifics enough for the presentation to break down into something specific and highly technical. Frustrating for professionals, but internet jackarses like me get to hear the generic sales pitch given by the Magpul guy when given absolutely no direction.

Was a good pitch.
                            **Not a LEO**

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7555 users online. 438 members and 7117 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X