Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back up weapon

I have a few questions for all ya'll.
    How many of you carry Glocks in either 9mm or 40sw as your duty weapon?
    What do you carry for your backup weapon?
    Do you carry a compact or subcompact Glock for the convenience of using the full size mags on your duty belt in your backup weapon in case the 'fecal matter' hits the 'air circulation device'?
    Why or why not? and do you think this is reason enough to carry a mini glock as a back up to your full size glock?

My reason for asking is this:
    --the department I am in the hiring process with issues the Glock 22 as a primary weapon. when looking for a back up I obviously am looking for something that will be comfortable and accurate for me to shoot with, something I will carry off duty as well as on duty, and something that i can conceal/carry under my uniform. if the glock does all this, and another gun I like does all this, (lets say the smith and Wesson M+P 40c), should I choose the mini Glock over the SW M+P for the reason of magazine compatibility, or is that not a real important issue?

thanks...
    2 Chronicles 19:7 (NLT)

If you are issued the G22 your best bet for a BUG/Off duty gun is going to be the G27.

You will have magazine compatibility and familiarity of use.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

I agree try a G27. Also ask what guns are allowed as some depts only let you choose certain models or have you bring it in for armorers approval. No matter what I'd stick to 40 so you can have common caliber. The M&P is sweet though

Comment

i went to the local gun store about 15 miles away today. they had 3 glocks, a 17c, 22, and a 30.. the 30 is practically the same as the 26/27. I liked it a lot with the pearce mag extender, but not so much with the standard frame... i think I will go the route of a g27 for my BUG when I get hired.

Comment

I use the 22/27 combo myself.

"Too many times, too many times payin' the price, just for the thrill" - Tesla

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
            If you are issued the G22 your best bet for a BUG/Off duty gun is going to be the G27.

You will have magazine compatibility and familiarity of use.
            I agree 100% Not many people think about the ammo compatibility issue, but a reasonable scenario would involve assisting officers while off duty, and sharing ammo might be a necessity. Too many calibers and brands could be deadly.
            Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
            Toby Keith

Comment

While I am no fan of the Glock, if your primary is a Glock then by all means your BUG should be a Glock and I recommend that your off duty be the same.
              It makes EVERYTHING easier, plus if caliber is the same, you can use the full size mags in your compact.
              Beware of ultra-compacts in .357 Sig, .40 or .45 (or 10mm for that matter).
              VERY snappy, very loud and uncomfortable to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by fdkay View Post
                That's more personal opinion than fact.

Comment

While I am no fan of the Glock, if your primary is a Glock then by all means your BUG should be a Glock and I recommend that your off duty be the same.
                  It makes EVERYTHING easier, plus if caliber is the same, you can use the full size mags in your compact.
                  agreed. I have shot the Taurus PT140 in 40sw, and a G26 in 9mm-- I didn't have any trouble with either. . I now have to find a G27 to shoot before I buy.

Comment

Originally posted by DaisyCutter View Post
                    I use the 22/27 combo myself.

+1 right here. Even have the TLR-1 on the G22. The G27 mags have Pearce +1 extensions. Great combo for duty/BUG/OD carry.

Comment

Originally posted by Till View Post
                      That's more personal opinion than fact.
                      Are you certain of that? It seems to me that one of the factors in felt recoil is the weight of the weapon.
                      Pretty much a question of physics. If a cartridge generates X ft lbs of recoil the heavier the weapon, the more energy it requires to impart movement on that weapon. The lighter the weapon, less energy is required to impart movement.

Is it easier to push a 5 pound rock or a 50 pound rock across the ground?

Tell you what, find some FULL power 10mm loads (Norma) and fire 5 rounds from a G20 then 5 rounds from a G29 and HONESTLY tell me they recoil the same.

Comment

Are you certain of that? It seems to me that one of the factors in felt recoil is the weight of the weapon.
                        Pretty much a question of physics. If a cartridge generates X ft lbs of recoil the heavier the weapon, the more energy it requires to impart movement on that weapon. The lighter the weapon, less energy is required to impart movement.

Is it easier to push a 5 pound rock or a 50 pound rock across the ground?

Tell you what, find some FULL power 10mm loads (Norma) and fire 5 rounds from a G20 then 5 rounds from a G29 and HONESTLY tell me they recoil the same.
                        what I think Till might have meant was that the recoil felt is different... what one person might feel is different for another. It also depends on the grip the shooter has on the gun and how well it fits in their hand.

Comment

I've worked three places so far, the first department I worked for issued it's full-timers Sig Sauer P226's. As far as I know only two of them carried a back up. One had a Glock 36, the other used a S&W 642.

The second place I worked also used P226's. A majority of the guys used some soft of S&W J-frame, or a Glock 27

The department I currently work for also uses Sig P226's and only one guy carries a backup. He uses a Glock 27.

I think pretty much across the board, at least from what I've seen and heard about (around my location at least)....a majority of people either carry a Glock 26/27 or some form of J-frame revolver as a backup. (no matter what their primary duty weapon is)
                          "Ability can take you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there"
                          -Bottom of a White Castle Cheesebuger Box-

If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and looks like a duck.....it's probably a duck!

It is what it is!

Comment

I carry a 19 as my duty and a 26 with a pinky xtender as my off/backup.
                            Definetly a glock man.

Comment

Originally posted by vulcanranger View Post
                              what I think Till might have meant was that the recoil felt is different... what one person might feel is different for another. It also depends on the grip the shooter has on the gun and how well it fits in their hand.
                              I disagree, he stated the recoil was opinion not fact, my assertion is that, regardless of the grip taken or any other factors such as ability to control recoil or reisitance to the effects of recoil have NO bearing, a smaller, lighter gun firing an identical caliber and load WILL have more recoil.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4421 users online. 214 members and 4207 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X