X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever heard of ...

Le Mas ammunition??
    Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

"Smart Bullets", 5.56 mm round. There was a "story" of a contractor (ex-seal) in Iraq qho stated he killed a guy with this round, by shooting him in his butt, which then the lower half of the victims body exploded.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

I was reading something and they said they made them for 9mm and 40 cal.......looking for truth or input on that and if they'd be a suitable duty round.

Comment

Not to be a pain, but would your agency allow this? Even the military hasn't approved this round. It's made by RBCD performance of San Antonio.
        "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

As far as I know we don't have a policy on what ammunition we can and can't use.....yet.

Comment

Interesting..lol. I am sure you can get your hands on it. Heres the link to their website. Good luck and Happy Shooting!

http://www.rbcd.net/

Comment

Looks a lot like a shotgun door breeching round scaled down to handgun calibers.
              **Not a LEO**

Comment

I also read that account of the guy killed by the contractor; round entered in his buttocks, but blew out the whole left side of his abdomen.

Sounds like a wicked round.

Comment

Dr. Fackler has talked about the whole BMT (blended metal technology) thing. He basically says it is hogwash. Supposedly, the rounds act like FMJ through barriers yet when they hit flesh, the heat generated allows the bullet to come apart, causing massive destruction.

It sounds like a bunch of smoke and mirrors to me, penetration would most likely be shallow, I'm sure they cause massive surface damage.

Comment

I did some more googling, and basically got marketing materials and a run around. It's a frangible that remains a solid mass when cold and powders at body temperature.

Wouldn't that mean you'd need to keep your ammunition cool in the south? What about firing through a hot barrel? There were several pictures of people taking large game with it at the manufacturer's site, so apparently it has several inches of penetration before breaking up.

I certainly wouldn't trust my life on some kind of super-bullet without knowing a heck of a lot more about it.

As a side note, glaser safety slugs can be frangible against soft targets (resulting in poor penetration and wide messy wound tracks) and wrap around their payload and remain a reasonable penetrator against walls (resulting in overpenetration). Glaser test

Box Of Truth doing some testing on traditional glaser and other frangible rounds here.

And some testing they did on shotgun breeching rounds. Once again I'll lament tacticalworks.ca not being up, because they had a breeching round against gelatin test, and it was consistent -- short, slug-like 6-inch penetration followed by wide dispersal of powder.

It's worth noting that in theory this should provide maximum kinetic energy transfer, giving one hell of a hydrostatic shock. But also suitable as a hard-target armor penetrator? I don't know. How would bullet chemistry discern between body heat and a hot, Texan day? Or between body moisture and rain? Unless there's some kind of water-activated explosive charge (rubidium?) in its gooey center I'm just not seeing the appeal.
                    **Not a LEO**

Comment

Wow, thats pretty vicious stuff! I might have to do some more research and place an order for these bad boys!
                      "Ability can take you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there"
                      -Bottom of a White Castle Cheesebuger Box-

If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and looks like a duck.....it's probably a duck!

It is what it is!

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
                        "Smart Bullets", 5.56 mm round. There was a "story" of a contractor (ex-seal) in Iraq qho stated he killed a guy with this round, by shooting him in his butt, which then the lower half of the victims body exploded.
                        True story. I know the guy.

Here's a link to more information.

http://www.defrev.com/modules.php?na...rticle&sid=875
                        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
                          Even the military hasn't approved this round. .

Keep in mind we're limited by the Geneva Convention, which is why we are only authorized to use FMJ rounds. (I love the logic...I can call in an A-10 w/depleted uranium rounds, but have to use FMJ in my M-4...)
                          sigpic

In Memory
                          Officer J. Sanders
                          EOW 12-15-2008

Loyalty...Duty...Respect...Selfless Service...Honor...Integrity...Personal Courage

Comment

Too true IrishJoe. Remember when shooting a Ma Duece aim for thier equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishJoe View Post
                              have to use FMJ in my M-4...)
                              So a doped-up combatant could have possibly have an entire magazine pumped into him, only to still be active?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4819 users online. 327 members and 4492 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X