300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911's Springfield vs Colt

I am looking to buy a good quality 1911 for home and/or vehicle use, and Springfield and Colt are the 2 brands always mentioned. Now, for the decision between the 2.
    Springfield
    60.71%
    Colt
    39.29%

This is my opinion only. Springfield over Colt. Why, cost. When all else is equal, you're going to pay a lot more for the Colt name and get basically the same gun. Also, because Colt is so much more expensive you're less likely to want to carry it in a holster as much so as not to ruin the finish on it. I love 1911's, and Colts are nice, but for everyday carry, I like the Springfields as much if not more. I own a few 1911's. My most expensive one is my Wilson combat, and I hardly take it out of the cabinet anymore except to wipe it down and re-oil it. It's tricked out and not really a carry gun, and it gets very special treatment when handling it where I really don't care what you do with my springfield compact.

Comment

Colt. I own both, I think the Colt is much better.

Comment

Springfield 1911's are a good working man's gun. If you want a safequeen that will hold it's value like no other though Colt is second to none...If it was me I'd rather buy a used Kimber or a used Para Ordinance than a new Springfield. IMHO
        "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone. The poll is almost tied, so I guess I am on my own. I think I am just going to shop around, and see which one I can get the better deal on. Feel free to keep voting!

Comment

I've always liked the Colts. There so smooth. And I own a Springfield 1911 Champion.

If money wasn't an option, I'd get the Colt.

I've used and never been a fan of the Kimbers or Paraordinance.

Comment

What about the series 70 vs 80? I understand that the series 80 has a firing pin safety. Does this make for a big difference in between the 2 guns?

Comment

http://www.10-8performance.com/id8.html

good info on this site

Comment

70 vs 80, yes, in a brief explanation if you drop a series 70 then it could fire, the 80 would not. What type of options are you looking for ex. light rail, high ride beavtail saftey... I have a Springfield Loaded Government, if I would have got the Colt Government 1991, then I would had to of bought the beavertail, buth thats just me. Just for inforamtion I heard Colt is coming out with a light rail Government model later in the year. Just check out 1911 forums, there is a ton of inforamtion on there for you.
                  I trust my life with J. M. Browning's design, the 1911.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I was wondering about the 70 series vs the 80, because the series 80 seems to be cheaper in price. I read somewhere that the series 70 was smoother to shoot. I just didn't know if the 80 was not as nice of a gun to shoot. On one website, I've seen over $100 difference between the 2 models.

Comment

I'll stick with Colt. No MIM and actually made in the USA. If I wanted Brazillian made, I'd go with Taurus, not Springfield.

Comment

Colt hands down.

Comment

Originally posted by Shotar View Post
                          I'll stick with Colt. No MIM and actually made in the USA. If I wanted Brazillian made, I'd go with Taurus, not Springfield.
                          Springfield Armory's 1911s are made in Brazil? Really? I knew that their XDs were made in Croatia, but I always thought that their 1911s were made in the USA.
                          "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." - Teddy Roosevelt

Disclaimer: The opinions I express here are mine and mine alone. They are not intended to reflect the positions/opinions of any other known person(s) or organization(s).

Comment

Originally posted by 7th District View Post
                            Springfield Armory's 1911s are made in Brazil? Really? I knew that their XDs were made in Croatia, but I always thought that their 1911s were made in the USA.
                            I'm glad you brought that up. I'm not 100% sure. Some Springfields have Brazil written on the slide while some have USA. Someone told me that some are assembled in the US and some are assembled in Brazil, but either way the parts were made in Brazil. I don't know if anyone knows for sure about this or not.

Comment

You know with the economy in this country the way it is and copanies taking shortcuts I a more wary of Made in USA than anything right now. And my "croatian stamped" XD45 will have less issues than 99% of other guns. That thing is a tank....
                              Hoping to get picked up when I return from Iraq

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12146 users online. 391 members and 11755 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X