300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911's What not to buy and why

I was looking at some 1911's at the gunshow last weekend. Since I don't know enough about them to make an intelligent purchase, I just looked.
    What is a good mid to low range for someone like myself and what should I definitely stay away from?

Thanks!
    sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Originally posted by zeplin View Post
    I was looking at some 1911's at the gunshow last weekend. Since I don't know enough about them to make an intelligent purchase, I just looked.
    What is a good mid to low range for someone like myself and what should I definitely stay away from?

Thanks!
    Buy a Taurus 1911 two-tone or SS. Great guns great prices.
    Follow me!

Let your conscience be your guide!

Comment

I love my Taurus PT1911SS! $509 out the door!

"Ability can take you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there"
      -Bottom of a White Castle Cheesebuger Box-

If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and looks like a duck.....it's probably a duck!

It is what it is!

Comment

Originally posted by JK4629 View Post
        I love my Taurus PT1911SS! $509 out the door!

Where? That's $307 less than the 1911SS list for.

How accurate/reliable are the Taurus 1911's out of the box? Would they need to be tricked out?

I'd be more intersted in a 1911B or a 1911B-BHW if I were to buy a Taurus. Why would someone want the SS over the B Model?
        sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

Para Ordnance makes great 1911's. I'd like to take the P13 my dad has off his hands sometime in the near future

Comment

What not to buy: Rock Island Armory. They're ok, but from what we've discussed in the forum nobody would use one on duty.

What to buy if you have the dough:

Double-stack .45 in basically 1911 (they call it 2011) with awesome quality and reputation. They're a close to $2000, though.
            "All that is, ever
            Ever was, will be, ever
            Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

WooHoo my first post! And its nice not to see any Taurus bashing. Anyway, I have been looking at the Taurus 1911 for a long time. Just hard to justify when I already have XDs. Some day I will have a 1911, and its probably going to be the Taurus. Joes sporting goods has it on sale for around $530. As far as being tricked out, it for the most part is already tricked out with most things people have done after they spent big $ on other 1911s.
              Last edited by whiplash5198; 02-13-2009, 12:23 AM.

Comment

I own 2 Kimbers and 1 Taurus 1911 ALR and for the money I can't find anything wrong with the Taurus. Shoots really well. For the money, it's a "must buy". I got mine from Buds Gun Shop out the door for $543 ($618 less a $75 rebate.

Last edited by dbphotos; 02-14-2009, 12:05 AM.
                David Bailey Photography | Bailey Tactical

sigpic

"Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor satan shudders and says oh hell he's awake!"

Comment

Originally posted by fishAK View Post

What to buy if you have the dough:

Double-stack .45 in basically 1911 (they call it 2011) with awesome quality and reputation. They're a close to $2000, though.
                  Really nice. That would have to be a gift.
                  sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

Stay away from the Llama's.
                    They LOOK like a 1911, but are not true 1911's (parts are not interchangeable).

The Taurus has an impressive list of standard items and would be the most affordable.

If you want to mortgage your home, the Ed Brown ones are absolutely beautiful. Wilson makes some really expensive ones too.

Comment

Would any of you trust your life with Taurus 1911?

dbphotos, how long ago was that rebate? Is it still in affect?

If I get a 1911 I'll go with the traditional style like the 1911B
                      or the 1911B-BHW. I prefer my guns to be pretty much plain looking.
                      IMO, it's what's under the hood that counts.
                      sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

FWIW, as far as Taurus' go, besides the looks, the AL is partially aluminum so it's about 6 ounces lighter then the other models.

(the other Taurus pistols, I mean. That STI I posted is almost identical in weight to the lightest Taurus, so they seem a little heavy to begin with. Not necessarily a bad thing, though.)
                        "All that is, ever
                        Ever was, will be, ever
                        Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

Would I trust my life to a Taurus? No. They are great range guns, but not one I would carry for duty. Take a look at M1911 forum or 1911forums.com for more info on 1911's. If you are serious about a duty carry 1911, 10-8 forums, there is none better and it is not for amatuers. Personally I would only carry a Sig, Springfield Armory, Colt, STI, Wilson, or Nighthawk. I would stay away from anything with a schwartz safety system or contain a lot of MIM or cast parts that are not reputable (ala the thumb safety on the Taurus).

My duty gun:
                          Last edited by R12GS; 02-13-2009, 02:15 AM.
                          People grow through experience, if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Comment

Originally posted by shastadude16 View Post
                            Para Ordnance makes great 1911's. I'd like to take the P13 my dad has off his hands sometime in the near future
                            Agreed. I got one and I love it. Double stack which is 14+1. ANd the best part is they discount the crap out of them for LE. Mine was $725 with the comp trigger and match barrel, 5 mags, night sights, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by zeplin View Post
                              Where? That's $307 less than the 1911SS list for.

How accurate/reliable are the Taurus 1911's out of the box? Would they need to be tricked out?

I'd be more intersted in a 1911B or a 1911B-BHW if I were to buy a Taurus. Why would someone want the SS over the B Model?
                              I bought it at a local gun shop, then after the rebate it came out to be $509. Unfortunately the rebate ended December 31st. I wanted the SS because I think it looks better. All of my hand guns are blued and I wanted something nice and shiny. And what better not to have than a beautiful shiny 1911.
                              "Ability can take you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there"
                              -Bottom of a White Castle Cheesebuger Box-

If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and looks like a duck.....it's probably a duck!

It is what it is!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9460 users online. 193 members and 9267 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X