300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rifle Painting Tutorial

I had to paint my rifle for an upcoming competition, so I figured I would do a writeup while I was at it.

http://www.8541tactical.com/rifle%20painting.php
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Nice work! Thanks for taking the time to post up your skills for the rest of us to use.

Comment

Nice job. I was considering painting my AR anyway. Now I may do it sooner than later.
      ROLL TIDE!!!

Comment

I wish I had an extra AR for an AR Painting Turorial, but there isn't a lot to it for a working gun.
        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Comment

Here are some better pics of the finished job:

Comment

Hey Blackdog, have you ever thought about threading the barrel for a flash hider? Just curious. Oh, and the paint job looks great. Makes me want to do it.

Comment

Soon I am actually going to have the barrel cut back to 20" and have a QD Flash Hider for a suppressor installed.

It does have a bit of a flash at night.

Comment

Very nice! I just might drag out my airbrush and try my hand at it.

Thanks for taking the time to do a writeup Blackdog!
                sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
                  Soon I am actually going to have the barrel cut back to 20" and have a QD Flash Hider for a suppressor installed.

It does have a bit of a flash at night.
                  Is there any advantage to having a 20" barrel of 26"? Or is it just preference and not having to lug such a heavy/long weapon around?

Comment

There is very little benefit in a 26" barrel over a 20" barrel. Even less when you can hand load for what the rifle likes.

For duty use, the chance of a LE Sniper needing to take a shot more than 500 yards is almost non-existent. So being limited to 168gr or 175gr Federal Gold Metal Match is not a problem.

When stretching it's legs to 1K I can get there with Lapua 155gr Scenars over a healthy charge of Varget or RE-15.

Length and weight also has something to do with it. A 26" barrel with another 8-10" of suppressor is not something you want to shoot offhand or have to move around with.

Also remember that barrel length has little to do with accuracy. Most of the folks I have spoken with who have had factory Remington barrels cut down have actually seen an increase in accuracy due to the resulting increase in rigidity.

Comment

I wish I had an extra AR for an AR Painting Turorial, but there isn't a lot to it for a working gun.
                      I have been wanting to do an ACU pattern on my M4. How hard is that stuff to strip off if I screw it up?

Comment

If you were going to do something as detailed as an ACU pattern, you do not want to use the paint I did. The Krylon is only meant to be temporary. Next year at this time this rifle will look ROUGH!

For something that you want to be a permanent I would look at Duracoat, Guncoat, Molyresin or something of that nature. If you screw it up, most allow you to just paint over. If you want to remove it after it's cured some blasting may be required.

Comment

I'll volunteer one of mine.
                          sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

If you were going to do something as detailed as an ACU pattern, you do not want to use the paint I did. The Krylon is only meant to be temporary. Next year at this time this rifle will look ROUGH!

For something that you want to be a permanent I would look at Duracoat, Guncoat, Molyresin or something of that nature. If you screw it up, most allow you to just paint over. If you want to remove it after it's cured some blasting may be required.

Yeah, I was looking at Duracoat, I just have not seen one done that looks the way I want it to. The closest is actually that stretchy ACU tape that you can put on then peel right back off. I might tape it up with that for awhile to see if I like the look.

Comment

THe more beat up the paint gets the more charater it has.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6730 users online. 349 members and 6381 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X