300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irritated

My Fiance is an adult organizer for a girls religious youth group which I won't mention by name here. She was in a class for the leaders and the question was raised, "Who here has a CCW?" Several of the adults raised their hands. The instructor informed them that they would have to get written permission from every parent before carrying. So my fiance asks what if we have a function at our house explaining that I'm an LEO and there are firearms in the house. They tell her same deal permission slips. So then then question is posed what if I was to come along to help out at a meeting or a function. Same response permission slips. Now I have already helped out with several meetings and functions and carried to everyone of them and no one has known that I am carrying (except for my fiance). I intend to continue and I figure if my weapon is ever required maybe they'll realize why permission slips are dumb.

Oh and after this conversation in her class one mother turned to her and made the comment that her daughter would never set foot in our home because of the firearms. WTF people I'm an LEO, now I know that doesn't make me perfect but walking into my house you would have no idea where the guns are. The only way you would presume there are guns in the house is because theres a picture of me in uniform in the hallway. Am I totally off base being really irritated at this. My fiance has been a part of this organization since she was 10 and is now 25 and basically is the head hauncho (sp?) at our local chapter.
    Last edited by hobbsie711; 02-08-2009, 03:40 AM.

Wow! I didn't realize the (Brownies? Campfire Girls? Girl Scouts?) had that kind of jurisdiction!

Those a some busybodies your finance is involved with for sure. I'm surprised they weren't equally concerned with you two living in the same house before you're married! Thank God you sleep in separate rooms!

You - you do sleep in separate rooms, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Geordi View Post
      Wow! I didn't realize the (Brownies? Campfire Girls? Girl Scouts?) had that kind of jurisdiction!

Those a some busybodies your finance is involved with for sure. I'm surprised they weren't equally concerned with you two living in the same house before you're married! Thank God you sleep in separate rooms!

You - you do sleep in separate rooms, right?
      Of Course.....

And it's actually not any of the above mentioned groups. I can't spreak for any of them but I was a boy scout and I remember them being pretty pro 2nd amendment. I remember shooting at camp and stuff.

Comment

For me and my wife it goes like this. The event is at my house, there will be guns, there will be guns every event I attend and take part in, if your girl has to stay home so be it, but the guns are going to be there.

Comment

They still do shoot at boy scout camp. One of my best friends is a shotgun instructor at a boy scout camp. But no you are not off base with this at all as far as I am concerned. If it were my child I would not mind in the least about the guns. With the news talking about how "bad" guns are I am not suprised many parents have chosen ignorance than education. I would not mind if you were at a function my kids were at.
          What Is A Veteran?
          A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Comment

If you're CCW, nobody should know. The only way they should find out is because you're confronting a threat with your firearm and I don't think anybody's going to ask to see permission slips at that point (or maybe they will...I wouldn't put it past some anti-gun libs...but you'd probably have the upper hand under the circumstances ). Personally, I wouldn't have identified myself as CCW when asked. It's nobody's business.

I can see why you'd be miffed about it. I would be too. Some people and organizations are PC to the extreme and have a unrealistic viewpoint and fear of firearms.
            "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
            -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Oh and after this conversation in her class one mother turned to her and made the comment that her daughter would never set foot in our home because of the firearms.
              This is such a pet peeve of mine! Grrrr! I have often asked parents who say this ... are you aware what the top 5 causes of accidental deaths are for children under 14? Do you request the driving records of everyone your daughter ever rides with in a car pool of any sort? Do you refuse to let your daughter go to a home that has a pool? If your daughter is invited to a friend's house, do you visit ahead and check where they store their household poisons, cleaners, medicines and anti-freeze? Are they in a locked cabinet out of reach or under the kitchen sink at toddler level? Do you check the stairways in every home your daughter visits, and make sure they are well lit, have sturdy banisters and there are no open stairways or decks or anywhere to fall from? Falls kill more children than guns ever will. Is your daughter allowed to step in a home that has matches sitting right there by the fireplace or cigarette lighters in the house? Or knives in a butcher block holder right there within reach on the counter? (Although knives are not in the top 5, I throw it in!)

If they don't do any of those things then the daughter's safety is not really the concern. They just dislike guns. Using your child to advance your anti-gun agenda is tacky, insulting to my intelligence and disrespectful to your child.

/end rant

My shorter version is: "Are you aware of the top 5 leading causes of accidents for children? Do you make sure none of the homes your daughter visits - or your own home - have any of these hazards? Guns are not among them."

I'm a lot of fun at parties. lol There's a gun rack above my china cabinet in my living room and a beautiful hand carved feminine gun rack in my bedroom, which I hang hats on! I'm not even that into guns, I just dislike ignorance about them.
              Last edited by Nikk; 02-08-2009, 04:18 AM.
              "Of course America had often been discovered before Columbus, but it had always been hushed up."

Comment

If they don't do any of those things then the daughter's safety is not really the concern. They just dislike guns. Using your child to advance your anti-gun agenda is tacky, insulting to my intelligence and disrespectful to your child.

Agree with Nikk, and not just because of her eyes!

Want to throw a wrench in their demands? How about a mandatory review of insurance on any drivers the group travels with as well as driving records.

And while you're at it. Sometimes these groups are attractive to child molesters and the like, maybe a background check to see who's who like teachers are required to do.
                "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

We don't have CCW in Wisconsin, but it occurs to me the CONCEALED is the essence of the permit........ Don't tell them.

Comment

We can thank some of our law enforcement co-workers for this. The whole idea that common citizens can't be trusted with firearms is turning more and more of the country rabid anti-gun. Not only that, more citizens even think that cops who are not in uniform are now just another person, so why would they even need guns. The only thing I would say is that you should _never_ admit owning guns, ever. I don't care how pro-gun you are, if your an LEO, admitting to owning guns is just giving away information about you and your home which could end up getting into the wrong hands. It seems every few months I am always getting bulltins of some officers home being broken into a numerous personally owned guns taken and such.

Comment

I can't believe that they all raised their hands.

Comment

...and if the same person stood up and asked if there were any Jews there...
                        ...or any Muslims...
                        ...or any Athests...
                        ...or any Indians...
                        ...or any Blacks...
                        It's NONE of their business who has a CCW and who does not. Why someone would even ask such a question is well beyond me. Never answer such a stupid ignorant question, and bring your firearm anyway. It's YOUR right of self protection THEY are infringing on. Jerks.
                        As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

Yeah, I never answer that question when asked, and I never tell anyone.
                          “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

No, you're not off base and have every right to be angry. Legally, can they do this? Have you thought about contacting the local media? There was a similar case with a mother not too long ago where people were trying to prevent her from open carrying at her child's soccer game (which was perfectly legal). Perhaps the local media can help your cause if you can find an outlet that is pro-gun.

Comment

Originally posted by velobard View Post
                              I can't believe that they all raised their hands.
                              I agree, I wouldn't have raised my hand. I wonder what the laws are regarding concealed carry in the original posters state. Here in Colorado, if you post a sign on your business/home that states no firearms allowed, it's not legal to conceal carry. Other than that, it's perfectly legal.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4978 users online. 322 members and 4656 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X