300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XD-M or G19

My husband thinks that the Glock would be better for me to get but I am partial to the XD-M though I have never shot one before. so what do you all say?

Who says a woman can't shoot? How do I protect my home without my Rifles, Shotguns and Pistols??

What are you going to use it for? Concealed carry, or home defense? Duty use?
    Did I fire six shots, or only five?

Comment

for home defense and CCW

Who says a woman can't shoot? How do I protect my home without my Rifles, Shotguns and Pistols??

Comment

G-19. The Springfields, although well built and very reliable, are a pain in the butt to conceal. The Glock 19 has often been called the perfect pistol package. You get 15+1 rounds of 9mm in a gun that conceals very well and has that reliability that Glock is known for, PERFECTION.

But the big test is the one that you perform. Go to a range and rent both guns. See which one fits you best and meets your criteria.

Comment

G19 would be my pick. Far easier to conceal than an XD-M....or any XD, for that matter. Plus, the Glocks are lighter in weight. In fact, I don't think you can find a better size/weight/capacity ratio than the Glock 19....from any firearms manufacturer.....period.

If the somewhat brick-like ergonomics are a problem with the Glock, skip over the XD and go straight to a Smith & Wesson M&P compact or fullsize. Lighter than the XD, made in the US, awesome customer service, and no silly, unnecessary grip "safety" that locks up the slide unless fully depressed.

Comment

size weight ratio? hahahaha. Somebody needs to check the spec's on that. The XD-M along with the Smith M&P has replaceable back strap's that can fit to your hand and even the "standard" XD pistol is in no means too big for concealed carry and if it is the XD Makes a subcompact that is a great deal smaller than the G19 as well does the Smith M&P compact that is really the exact same dimmensions as the G26 sub'' Glock but with alternate backstrap grips as well. If you like the XD especially the "enhanced" model called the "M" or matchgrade barrel then go for that one. As far as the specs look up each one on the net all the dimensions are available.
            "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Nightshift va View Post
              size weight ratio? hahahaha. Somebody needs to check the spec's on that. The XD-M along with the Smith M&P has replaceable back strap's that can fit to your hand and even the "standard" XD pistol is in no means too big for concealed carry and if it is the XD Makes a subcompact that is a great deal smaller than the G19 as well does the Smith M&P compact that is really the exact same dimmensions as the G26 sub'' Glock but with alternate backstrap grips as well. If you like the XD especially the "enhanced" model called the "M" or matchgrade barrel then go for that one. As far as the specs look up each one on the net all the dimensions are available.
              The Glocks are the lightest and slimmest available pistols on the market, with respect to their capacities. You obviously don't know what a ratio is.

The XD subcompact is particularly pathetic, in terms of weight and height compared to other pistols of equal capacity. It's not a "subcompact" at all, as a matter of fact. While the magazine only holds 10 rounds of 9mm, the pistol is 4.75 inches tall (only .25 inch shorter than a G19, which holds 15 rounds), wider than any 9mm Glock, and weighs 26 ounces empty compared to 23.45 ounces for a Glock 19.

The comparison really shows the superiority of the Glock when you compare the XD "subcompact" to the subcompact Glock (G26), as far as size/weight/capacity ratio goes. The G26 has the same capacity as an XD "subcompact" (10+1), is much lighter and easier to carry (21.87 ounces vs. 26 ounces...over 1/4 lb. lighter), and is much smaller and easier to conceal (4.17 inches tall vs. 4.75 inches tall).

The Smith & Wesson M&P comes close to the G26, but it is certainly not the exact same dimensions as the G26. The Smith is a little taller, a little wider and a little heavier. However, standard capacity is 12+1 in 9mm, so it's not really a good one-on-one comparison. I really like the M&P, and IMHO, you should be considering the G19 vs. the M&P fullsize or compact. I am issued the Glock 22 for duty (.40 S&W), but I carry an M&P compact .40 for off duty concealed carry. I also have a fullsize M&P 40, and would switch to it for on-duty use, if they'd let me. Not that the Glock is a bad pistol...it's one of the best. I just prefer the M&P, due to better ergonomics, better looks, lack of a trigger flange abrading my trigger finger, and softer recoil than the G22. I like the metal mags, too.

YMMV, but as far as I'm concerned, the XD is an also-ran. It's a decent enough pistol, but you'll rarely see one in an LE holster. The grip safety locks up the slide if it is not fully depressed during an emergency drill, and the last thing you need in the stress of a gunfight is one more point of potential failure. Safety is between your ears, not some doodad switch or lever on your hardware. Most armed professionals carry Glocks, Sigs, or HK's, with Beretta losing market share and Smith & Wesson coming on strong with the M&P. XD's are not even on the map. There must be a reason for that.

Comment

Then again I am NOT LE and I would prob. use it at the range more than anything.

Comment

Originally posted by mjc View Post
                  My husband thinks that the Glock would be better for me to get but I am partial to the XD-M though I have never shot one before. so what do you all say?
                  I say forget what gun your husband thinks is best for you. YOU decide what is best for you. Tell him you think a Taurus is best for him. I'll bet he'll tell you what to do with a Taurus. Besides, it's a range gun. Get something you'll have fun shooting. If it's not fun, you'll find yourself selling for a loss. Just my 2 cents.
                  The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

Then again I am NOT LE and I would prob. use it at the range more than anything.
                    Oh.....well, you said that it would be for home defense or CCW.

If it's a range toy....get whatever you want. Obviously, you want the XD-M, as you took the trouble to make it your avatar. Go buy one.

For serious use? Your hubby's right. G19.

Comment

I carry both a Glock 22 and a Glock 27 on-duty. When I am home both go in the closet. I have used an XD for home protection for the past few years and recently got an XD-M. Great gun. I do agree that the XD's are a little harder to conceal, even the 3". I also agree that you need to shoot both and see which one YOU like better. Who knows.... you might not like either and want a Sig.
                      http://www.coptalknation.com

Comment

Originally posted by StewXXL View Post
                        I carry both a Glock 22 and a Glock 27 on-duty. When I am home both go in the closet. I have used an XD for home protection for the past few years and recently got an XD-M. Great gun. I do agree that the XD's are a little harder to conceal, even the 3". I also agree that you need to shoot both and see which one YOU like better. Who knows.... you might not like either and want a Sig.
                        yup.... maybe a sig 239 or a 229 will do you well

Comment

We got a Saiga 12 instead

Comment

We got a Saiga 12 instead
                            LOL

how are you planning on concealing that!?

Comment

Originally posted by K40 View Post
                              The Glocks are the lightest and slimmest available pistols on the market, with respect to their capacities. You obviously don't know what a ratio is.

The XD subcompact is particularly pathetic, in terms of weight and height compared to other pistols of equal capacity. It's not a "subcompact" at all, as a matter of fact. While the magazine only holds 10 rounds of 9mm, the pistol is 4.75 inches tall (only .25 inch shorter than a G19, which holds 15 rounds), wider than any 9mm Glock, and weighs 26 ounces empty compared to 23.45 ounces for a Glock 19.

The comparison really shows the superiority of the Glock when you compare the XD "subcompact" to the subcompact Glock (G26), as far as size/weight/capacity ratio goes. The G26 has the same capacity as an XD "subcompact" (10+1), is much lighter and easier to carry (21.87 ounces vs. 26 ounces...over 1/4 lb. lighter), and is much smaller and easier to conceal (4.17 inches tall vs. 4.75 inches tall).

The Smith & Wesson M&P comes close to the G26, but it is certainly not the exact same dimensions as the G26. The Smith is a little taller, a little wider and a little heavier. However, standard capacity is 12+1 in 9mm, so it's not really a good one-on-one comparison. I really like the M&P, and IMHO, you should be considering the G19 vs. the M&P fullsize or compact. I am issued the Glock 22 for duty (.40 S&W), but I carry an M&P compact .40 for off duty concealed carry. I also have a fullsize M&P 40, and would switch to it for on-duty use, if they'd let me. Not that the Glock is a bad pistol...it's one of the best. I just prefer the M&P, due to better ergonomics, better looks, lack of a trigger flange abrading my trigger finger, and softer recoil than the G22. I like the metal mags, too.

YMMV, but as far as I'm concerned, the XD is an also-ran. It's a decent enough pistol, but you'll rarely see one in an LE holster. The grip safety locks up the slide if it is not fully depressed during an emergency drill, and the last thing you need in the stress of a gunfight is one more point of potential failure. Safety is between your ears, not some doodad switch or lever on your hardware. Most armed professionals carry Glocks, Sigs, or HK's, with Beretta losing market share and Smith & Wesson coming on strong with the M&P. XD's are not even on the map. There must be a reason for that.
                              The XD and the new enhanced model are now well known pistols. There are departments in Arizona, Illinois, Pa, SC and Ohio that carry the XD. They have not cornered the L.E. market as Glock has but that does not mean the Glocks are better pistols at all. Price and follow up cutomer service has a great deal with departments choosing their sidearms and I should know I along with two other Instructors headed up our T/E session for our department inwhich the M&P beat out the rest. I have owned at one time or another:G21 G27 G19 G23 G22 and a G20 and I'm down to my G27 and not one of them to me can hold a candle to my Springfield XD 45 Tactical as far as accuracy goes. Even the Kahr Pm and Mk in 40sw shoot better than the G23 and the G27 and are a great deal slimmer and overall smaller in "ratio" than the Glock Blocks.
                              "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5273 users online. 301 members and 4972 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X