Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock Islands

Should be Rock Island Armory

Has anyone had any dealings with their pistols. I have seen some 1911s but don't know much about them. I have been told they don't use standard 1911 magazines. They are supposed to be 8 shot instead of seven. Any help would be great.
    Thanks
    Renegade

sigpic

It's not the size of the man in the fight, but the fight in the man!!!!!!!!!
    " Not Sure Who Said It"

8 shot IS a standard magazine. It was a design change of the magazine, not the pistol.
    Rock island has a very good rep. They are made in the Philippines.
    http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/RIA.htm

Comment

+1 what fdkay said. Very good pistol, solidly made and will last a life time. By the way it will accept any 7 round standard issue magazine as well as the 8 rounders.

Comment

Thanks sounds great. Seen any good prices on them? Heard anything about a breakin period on them, if so about how many rounds?
        Renegade

sigpic

" Not Sure Who Said It"

Comment

http://www.centerfiresystems.com

Also, they are hand fitted so some aftermarket so called drop in parts might not fit without gunsmithing.

Comment

Great. sounds like a good buy for the price... What is a good brand of mags to look into?
            Thanks
            Renegade

sigpic

" Not Sure Who Said It"

Comment

i own a RIA 1911 and i think its a great gun for the price. i bought it about 2 years ago for $500.

that being said, i did have some problems with it, which may be along the lines of the "break-in" period you alluded to. first time i went to shoot it, it was having a lot of trouble cycling rounds. pull the trigger, BANG!, but then the next round would get stuck halfway in the chamber, with the slide half open. at the time, fairly new to guns, this was scary to me. my reaction was to always lock the slide back and drop the mag.

the owner of the store told me that sometimes guns are like that at first, have little burrs and **** inside, and just takes a few hundred rounds through them to get them in the groove. then he had an "oh *****" moment and realized that the gun was bone dry, needed a cleaning and oil, so he took it and told me to come back in a few days.

first couple hundred rounds, the problem remained, but got better as time went, started happening less and less. now i consider it to be a perfectly reliable gun, and a decent 1911, for 500 bucks. ive seen reports of others on other boards having paid less, and even gotten two mags, i only got one.

again, decent gun. if you want a 1911 and 500 is the limit, its good. if you just want to purchase a handgun and 500 is about what youre thinking, id personally say save up a bit more. in retrospect, i would have preferred to wait a little bit and bought a glock for a couple hundred more, or even the S&W MP, i like that a lot. or a beretta 92fs, always loved that gun.
              use my trueprotein.com discount code for 5% off- MTD244

Comment

If price is a big factor, I'd look at the Taurus 1911 also.

Comment

You guys(& gals) with your freakin' 1911's. I don't want one! the only one I ever wanted was my grampa's and it got stolen. You keep talking them up and showing them off on that jwise thread and elsewhere. STOP IT!!!! or I just might succumb to the power of the 1911 and and do more than look at them... I just might get one. This is your last warning.
                  sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

Yeah, you should all switch to Glocks so you can learn to shoot with your hand in an uncomfortably vertical position....

Seriously, anyone have an actual website to RIA? I can't seem to dig one up. I've found a bunch of reviews, but nothing from the manufacturer.
                    "All that is, ever
                    Ever was, will be, ever
                    Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

FWIW, i couldnt find a website for the actual manufacturer around the time i was purchasing mine. two years later, if it isnt readily available through a simple google search, id assume they dont have one.
                      use my trueprotein.com discount code for 5% off- MTD244

Comment

http://www.armscor.net/Pistols.htm

http://www.armscor.com.ph/pistols.htm

You may now add me to your will.

NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Aaahhh...ARMSCOR.

Of course...Rock Island Armory...it's basic deduction.

Thank you Sgt.

I'd add you to my will if I had anything other then debts.
                          "All that is, ever
                          Ever was, will be, ever
                          Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

Dangit....

I tried.

NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=122265733

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6229 users online. 308 members and 5921 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X