300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armor Plate Target

We set up some 1/2" armor plate for a target at 100yds today. We were told 5.56/.223 would be ok with it at that range. After shooting it about a hundred times we went down to inspect. There were pockmarks everywhere the bullets hit and noticeable bulges on the backside. Is this normal? We were using Wolf FMJ and Silver Bear HP ammo.
    sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Sounds normal to me. Thats why we cant use it on pepper poppers.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

sounds like normal steel to me.

Comment

Depends on the steel hardness.
        The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

If the bullet didn't got through the plate, sounds like it served its purpose.
          David Bailey Photography | Bailey Tactical

sigpic

"Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor satan shudders and says oh hell he's awake!"

Comment

Originally posted by Surf View Post
            Depends on the steel hardness.
            Yep. I bought a 4'x8' 1/2" thick 500 Brinell (might have been 600, I forget) rated steel plate and had a welder buddy cut it into pepper poppers. I shot it with 30-06, .308 and 5.56mm from 20yards and it did not dent. Been shooting the heck out of it for 4 years now with deformation.

Comment

Originally posted by Omega_556
              You say armor, what grade of steel was it? From what you describe it sounds like mild steel.

It sure wasn't AR500 like GGG is talking about.
              That I don't know. Might have to go back to where we got it to find out.
              sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

I have some steel silhouettes that are only pistol rated. I finally learned to lay them down when friends are shooting rifles. It does not matter how many times I tell them not to shoot them with the AR's, someone always does. It is like bubblewrap, they just can't help but pop one.

Comment

Couldn't find out what kind of steel it was. The pocmarks are very similar to those in the pics posted by William T. If he was shooting at 100yds then it probably is the same.
                  sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

It definitely wasn't 500 Brinell or better. You can shoot .223 / 5.56 all day every day and barely scuff it. If you were denting it up that bad, it was not a good quality armour steel, or not even armour type of steel at all. If that is what they told you then they were not being very straight up with you.
                    The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by Surf View Post
                      It definitely wasn't 500 Brinell or better. You can shoot .223 / 5.56 all day every day and barely scuff it. If you were denting it up that bad, it was not a good quality armour steel, or not even armour type of steel at all. If that is what they told you then they were not being very straight up with you.
                      We've come to that same conclusion. Decided to look for some Brinell.

Thanks for everyones help.
                      sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

You should see the gongs at my local range. Talk about swiss cheese.
                        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                        8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Picking up some 1/2" AR400 Wednesday. That's the best they have in this 1 horse town. Hopefully it'll do.
                          sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

That will be great for pistol. Rifle? Not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by GGG View Post
                              Yep. I bought a 4'x8' 1/2" thick 500 Brinell (might have been 600, I forget) rated steel plate and had a welder buddy cut it into pepper poppers. I shot it with 30-06, .308 and 5.56mm from 20yards and it did not dent. Been shooting the heck out of it for 4 years now with deformation.
                              Yikes! I've gotten splash-back from 30 yards with a .45 cal handguns on steel. There is no freaking way I'd shoot a rifle at steel at 20 yards. That seems to be asking for an injury.
                              The DA/SA handgun: A NAZI solution to a problem that didn't exist!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3914 users online. 273 members and 3641 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X