300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackhawk SERPA duty holster

I have a Sig 229 and am interested in getting a new holster. Does anyone use a Blackhawk SERPA??? How do you like it?? Does it have good retention? I currently have a Safariland 6280, but i'm not really fond of the hood, I practice and practice, but I can't seem to get a smooth fast draw.
    Thanks for the input.
    “Fear not the night.

Fear that which walks the night.

And I am that which walks the night.

But only evil need fear me…

and gentle souls sleep safe in their beds…

because I walk the night.”

Are you referring to the Level 2 or the Level 3?

I got a chance to use the Level 3 at the range a few months ago. I too use the 6280 and I prefer it to the Level 3 Serpa. It was probably because it was a new holster to me and I have trained with the other for quite some time now.

My main issue with it was reholstering. My safariland I simply slide the hood back over and it is secured again. The serpa, I had issues get the thumb break to return to it's original position. I think this would be resolved with more training with the holster.

All and all I thought that securing in the safariland was faster and in some situations that is important. But, practice makes perfect.

Comment

i was thinkin the level 2. But i like either one
      “Fear not the night.

Fear that which walks the night.

And I am that which walks the night.

But only evil need fear me…

and gentle souls sleep safe in their beds…

because I walk the night.”

Comment

The Serpa and Safariland are polar opposites on quality. Keep practicing with the Safariland. When I switched from my 070 to the ALS I went through 400-500 draws in a weekend then continued with 50 draws a day until I got it down. I still do "refreshers" every couple days to stay smooth. You should do this with ANY holster so it's not that big of a deal.

The Hood release takes a little getting used to, bit it's awesome to be able to drop your weapon in and slap the hood closed right before you get into a fight.
        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
        8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

I was going to ask this same question. However... I'm more partial to the Safariland, it feels sturdier, and the hood is actually pretty easy to get accustomed to with practice. Your draw with the Serpa will be entirely different, and you'll have to practice with that.

Plus, if you ever mount a weapon light, you want to be able to get one other than a Blackhawk =P

Comment

I carried both. The Serpa line are all level II but if you can purchase the level III for your weapon. Buy it! In my humble opinion it is the fastest, safest, easiest holster on the market. The down side is they only produce one holster that accomidates a light, and it must be their light. I have the 6280 and serpa. Blackhawk, are you listening? Holster with light please...

Comment

Originally posted by jswwjw View Post
              I carried both. The Serpa line are all level II but if you can purchase the level III for your weapon. Buy it! In my humble opinion it is the fastest, safest, easiest holster on the market. The down side is they only produce one holster that accomidates a light, and it must be their light. I have the 6280 and serpa. Blackhawk, are you listening? Holster with light please...
              Yeah, I really like Serpas actually, but their problem is lack of choice guns and lighted guns...

for example, for my USP, they only make a level 1, nothing else...

Comment

I used a level 2 with my 45GAP Glock, and it worked fantastic. Very easy to draw, and quick too. No thumb strap struggle.
                As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

Originally posted by grog18b View Post
                  I used a level 2 with my 45GAP Glock, and it worked fantastic. Very easy to draw, and quick too. No thumb strap struggle.
                  its def a very natural draw. ur finger is exactly where its supposed to be

some places don't allow them actually, which is funny.... apparently this one training school doesn't allow them because someone shot themselves in the foot while taking the gun out. they had too much pressure on the 'release' finger so when the gun came out, the finger went into the trigger guard, and with the pressure on the finger, pulled the trigger on the glock. I personally don't see how thats possible since the finger is above the trigger guard

Comment

Originally posted by jswwjw View Post
                    The down side is they only produce one holster that accomidates a light, and it must be their light.
                    And you must have a Glock or M&P. How about something for a real (i.e. not made of plastic) firearm? Sigs and to a lesser extent H&K's are also popular duty weapons...
                    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
                    --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSheriff View Post
                      And you must have a Glock or M&P. How about something for a real (i.e. not made of plastic) firearm? Sigs and to a lesser extent H&K's are also popular duty weapons...
                      yeah... too bad for them. they could make so much more sales

Comment

You may want to do a search of Blackhawk Serpa. There are several threads that discuss the holster.

Here is my experience with them and what I posted in another thread http://forums.officer.com/newreply.p...eply&p=1497572

Originally posted by Surf View Post
                        I will only speak from personal experiences from a T&E of the Serpa.

We were aware of issues that have been complained about in regards to the Serpa. There were 3 main issues of concern.....

1 - Lug setting off trigger
                        2 - Finger riding holster too long and going into trigger guard setting off trigger.
                        3 - Debris fouling release mechanism, not allowing the weapon to be pulled from the holster.

Now during our T&E we found problem #1 to be a non-issue. We were aware of a release from Blackhawk and Glock in regards to Glocks with lasermax guide rod. This problem may have been addressed since then, but we do not use Glocks anyway.

Issue #2 is real. There are documented incidents where shooters under stress depress the release and ride the holster and the trigger finger goes into the trigger guard once it clears the holster and a ND occurs. This is without a doubt a training issue, but an issue that needs to be addressed none-the-less. Not something that cannot be worked around with training. However, it was not viewed as being optimal.

Issue #3 was the big issue and the eventual reason for the holster not making it past our T&E. There have been claims that small rocks or other debris getting under the exterior release mechanism not allowing it to be depressed. This basically locks the weapon in the holster and removing the weapon becomes very very difficult and often times the entire gun belt and holster needs to be removed from the shooter to clear the malfunction.

Issue #3 was huge for us, as a tactical unit we find ourselves rolling around in the mud / dirt / you name it quite often. Under our standard use or testing of the holster we did not experience any occurrences of failure to happen naturally.

Having said that we did, intentionally attempt to foul the mechanism. We were able to do so and sure enough the weapon could not be drawn from the holster. Now it might be unfair to say that we set up such a malfunction, however, we did conclude from our training and experience, that we could see the possibility for this type of problem happening in a real situation. Not some type of 1 in a million longshot, but a possibility. So much so that it really gave those of us doing the evaluation a legitimate concern for our officers who may be using the holster.

I will say that I did like the Serpa and it worked very well. However as an evaluator responsible for T&E of weapons and equipment that officers in my division may carry, in good faith, knowing the potential for total failure of the holster, we could not place it into service. Also having seen the malfunction and attempting to deal with it personally, I will not chose the Serpa for myself either.
                        The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Had one on my vest in Iraq. never had any problems with debris getting in the mechanism. we actually ordered as many as we could for our soldiers.
                          I don't have to be careful. I got a gun.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5152 users online. 307 members and 4845 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X