Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AK-47/74 rifles from around the world...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Spoken View Post
    Wow I didn't realize how easy it was to break down the ak!

    One more question, I was looking at different sites trying to figure out how to disassemble it and read a couple places where it said you should not use any gun oil when cleaning the gun, is that right?
    Ummm... It's a mechanical device that has metal rubbing against metal, so YES, use oil (or grease.)
    J. Wise

    AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

    "Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

    Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

    sigpic

    Comment


    • These came in the little cleaning tube with the brush and stuff, any idea what they are or are used for? It didn't say anything about them in the manual so I have no clue!



      Comment


      • Both are going to be multitools for taking down the rifle.

        Bottom one looks like it has a firing pin spacer on the top.

        I received a similar tool with my Mosin.
        **Not a LEO**

        Comment


        • Shot about 120 rounds through the AK today. Had ZERO problems with it. Now it is time for a good cleaning

          Thanks a lot jwise for talking/typing me into buying one.

          My wife hates you LOL I kid, I kid!

          Comment


          • I'm glad you got one, and had a good time at the range with it. As soon as you can, get off a static range and find a club that hosts rifle/carbine matches. That's when you will REALLY start to have fun with the rifle...
            J. Wise

            AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

            "Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

            Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

            sigpic

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Spoken View Post
              These came in the little cleaning tube with the brush and stuff, any idea what they are or are used for? It didn't say anything about them in the manual so I have no clue!



              The upper one is needed for taking out pins from the firing mechanism. This process is not part of regular cleaning. In the army only an authorized gunsmith may do it in peace time. It is in the standard cleaning set for field/emergency use. (I don't remember the russian name, in hungarian it's called "padiátverő" )

              The bottom one is a multi purpose tool. The flat end is a screwdriver. In the tubular holder there is a slot, you have to put it there for a better grip.
              The other end is for adjusting the front sight.
              The dent in the center is for fixing the rotating head on the cleaning rod, but nobody use it.

              For cleaning and operating use gun OIL! Other materials are for advanced users and can damage the weapon. (alternative cleaning is also illegal in some armed forces )

              I hope you can understand my bad english.

              Have fun!
              Last edited by HunPenguin; 05-18-2009, 02:13 PM.
              Before all else, be armed.
              N. Machiavelli (1469 - 1527)

              Comment


              • Thanks Penguin. I finally found an online page that explains what they are used for as well.

                Comment


                • Was at a local pawn shop today and saw a Romanian SAR-1. Beat up, someone threw a Chinese dust cover on it with some strange form of accessory rail (not picatinny by any means) and the receiver has the following enscription cared into the side. Not stamped, mind you, it looks like it was ground in with a dremel before the finish was added.

                  CN Romarm SA/CUGIR
                  Made in Romania

                  The CUGIR part is speculation. It looks like that, but could just as easily be OJGIR or something similar. The wood is a little battered, and if one operated the slide slowly it can hang on the return trip. The feed ramp, chamber, crown, and barrel all look good. The weapon just looks old, and like someone tinkered with it at one point. Could be good, could be bad. Any suggestions on easy things to look for? This would be my first AK, so I'm a little shaky on what to check beyond the basics.

                  And, of course, the shop wants $600. That's about the new price for these guns! I work at another pawn shop, so I know a bit of the art of haggling I figure $300 out the door is a good deal, $350+tax is the max I'd want to pay for this thing. Somewhere in that $100 range is 'fair.' Sound about right?
                  **Not a LEO**

                  Comment


                  • I don't think I would be interested in that particular rifle.
                    J. Wise

                    AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

                    "Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

                    Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by TimK View Post
                      Was at a local pawn shop today and saw a Romanian SAR-1. Beat up, someone threw a Chinese dust cover on it with some strange form of accessory rail (not picatinny by any means) and the receiver has the following enscription cared into the side. Not stamped, mind you, it looks like it was ground in with a dremel before the finish was added.

                      CN Romarm SA/CUGIR
                      Made in Romania

                      The CUGIR part is speculation. It looks like that, but could just as easily be OJGIR or something similar. The wood is a little battered, and if one operated the slide slowly it can hang on the return trip. The feed ramp, chamber, crown, and barrel all look good. The weapon just looks old, and like someone tinkered with it at one point. Could be good, could be bad. Any suggestions on easy things to look for? This would be my first AK, so I'm a little shaky on what to check beyond the basics.

                      And, of course, the shop wants $600. That's about the new price for these guns! I work at another pawn shop, so I know a bit of the art of haggling I figure $300 out the door is a good deal, $350+tax is the max I'd want to pay for this thing. Somewhere in that $100 range is 'fair.' Sound about right?
                      Cugir is the factory Romanians AKs are built in. The dust cover sounds like some one bought it for the rail to mount a scope or cheap red dot. Romanians use a ribbed dust cover. Sounds like some one with no experience or understanding of AKs did tinkered with it. Odds are the it was bought, shot a bit then sodl off when the novely wore off and some one needed some cash.

                      Try gunbroker for a good Polish Underfolder or a Saiga.

                      Comment


                      • I'll still swing by and lowball the hell out of the shop. Probably won't go for it -- someone will pay an absurd amount for the rifle anyway -- but at worst I'll get a pile of parts to tinker with.
                        **Not a LEO**

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by TimK View Post
                          I'll still swing by and lowball the hell out of the shop. Probably won't go for it -- someone will pay an absurd amount for the rifle anyway -- but at worst I'll get a pile of parts to tinker with.
                          If you do decide on it, be sure to check the front sights to see if they are canted. IF you do get it, you always get the correct dust cover. Tons of stock options are out there if you decide on replacing it.

                          Comment


                          • Went out with a friend to help him find a gun the other day. He walked away with a lightly used mak 90 2 chines mags and about 400 mixed rounds (including 100-200 nice steel core) for under $400.00 It has a Romanian wire folder added to it so I am assuming we need to get 5 US parts installed to make it on the up and up...

                            I am a little envious he got into a nice one for so cheap.The finish is great on it. The only draw backs are the terrible front end and lack of cheek weld on the stock although it is heavy duty and locks up solid.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by NORCOCOP View Post
                              Went out with a friend to help him find a gun the other day. He walked away with a lightly used mak 90 2 chines mags and about 400 mixed rounds (including 100-200 nice steel core) for under $400.00 It has a Romanian wire folder added to it so I am assuming we need to get 5 US parts installed to make it on the up and up...

                              I am a little envious he got into a nice one for so cheap.The finish is great on it. The only draw backs are the terrible front end and lack of cheek weld on the stock although it is heavy duty and locks up solid.

                              A chines Mak90 in great shape and rounds for under $400 is a great deal. Make no mistake the Polytech and Norinco AKs are outstanding AKs which may surprise many given the poor connatation anything with "Made in China" has in this country. The only reason I can see how he got that particular deal is the previous owner/shop reduced prices given the Chinese do not have the same dimensions as the European versions.

                              With that in mind, anyone looking to take a postban in this case pre 94 Chinese AK (post 89) and convert to the correct configuration will find it very difficult and more expensive to do especially if said individual is looking to convert over to the Type 86-s spiked bayonet version.

                              Comment


                              • I am going to throw in a US made trigger group for 3 compliance parts, he wants a solid wood stock or collapsible style (US made) so that gets him one more compliance part , new forend (although he can't decide if he wants to add rails or go with some wood, that I told him I would stain and finish if he wants), and a FSC compensator from Blackjack buffers.

                                He can use what ever pistol grip and mags he wants then and he seems to favor his Chinese mags and it is a pain to convert every mag you buy for parts count any way.

                                I talked him into the Iron Dot, and the enhance safety from Krebs also.

                                I have to live out my dreams through him since my Arsenal 107 UR is so expensive to outfit and my budget is so limited... I just need to find a deal on a Bulgy or Chinese one the is standard so I can afford to deck it out at reasonable cost.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 2847 users online. 167 members and 2680 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X