Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AK-47/74 rifles from around the world...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would really like to get the Polish Tantal, but after hearing about the problems with barrels I am a little afraid too.

Comment

• What kind of 7362x39 ammo are ya'll using that seems to work good? What websites do you find the cheapest?

Comment

• I run Wolf exclusively in my AKs. I don't know who has it, as I'm still shooting the ammo I bought 1-2 years ago.
        J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• There was just a gun show on the 8th and 9th up here that I went to and there were quite a few guns, but you were going to pay for them. Low end AKs like a wasr was going for $600 minimum. Saigas, norincos, other romys etc. were going for as much as a high end AR. Saw several FALs and CETMEs, but those were also not worth what was being asked in my opinion. Even Ruger 10/22s were overpriced...

Comment

• Originally posted by TheNewbie View Post
            I would really like to get the Polish Tantal, but after hearing about the problems with barrels I am a little afraid too.
            The Tantals first came as parts kits and built upon US made receivers. Now if you want to avoid a Centruy build, do a search for those parts kits built. Don't let anyone fool you they had a ton shipped in this country so keep a look out for them. AK forums were lit up with AK parts kit being built(mostly) from Poland, Hungary, Yugo and Bulgaria. Check gunbroker and contact AK gunsmiths to see if they have any for sale.

One thing to look for is if the built rifle has the selector on the left side installed. Those with it will be more desirable than those produced without it.

If you really like the Polish kits, Polish underfolders were brought in at the same time and if you have never seen Polish amber wood, it is a very pretty wood.

Comment

• The more I mess with these things the more impressed I am. Simplicity is the thing that impresses me. I have always though that the well engineered product is a simple product. The AK is a simple design. It is extremely reliable even though somewhat crude in some ways. If something can be made to work so reliably and yet some of them be so crude,it is a good design. Mine is not a target piece but it does get the job done even with crappy ammo. Interesting weapon system IMO.

The prices for these things have really been jacked up as of late. Supply and demand? You bet. Greedy dealers? You bet. Another example-I just went into a gun shop that was asking $40.00 for $13.00 AR Pmags!!! Major BS IMO.
              "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• My AK was shipped this morning, should be here towards the end of the week.

Comment

• Congratulations!
                  J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Picked up my AK-47 today, going saturday to put some rounds through it.......................

Comment

• Would you AK-47 owners recommend cleaning the rifle before shooting it or shoot it first and give it a good cleaning afterwards? I normally shoot my guns new with no cleaning then give it a good scrub afterwards. Thanks!

Comment

• Wait.

You clean AK47s?

EDIT:

I suppose that was an excessively useless post.

It should work out of the box, but typically new firearms (at least the cheap stuff I can afford) either come bone dry or are full of thick factory gunk whose purpose appears to be solely getting your weapon to you in one piece. I'd tear it down, poke around inside, clean it and grease it.
                        Last edited by TimK; 05-14-2009, 11:17 PM.
                        **Not a LEO**

Comment

• Originally posted by Spoken View Post
                          Would you AK-47 owners recommend cleaning the rifle before shooting it or shoot it first and give it a good cleaning afterwards? I normally shoot my guns new with no cleaning then give it a good scrub afterwards. Thanks!
                          I would break it down and clean/lube it first.
                          I'm not sure if it's "Jwise approved", but I would buy a Red Star arms shepherds crook replacement to replace the current one.
                          Let no one lose heart on account of this Philistine; your servant will go and fight him

Comment

• Originally posted by Norman View Post
                            I would break it down and clean/lube it first.
                            I'm not sure if it's "Jwise approved", but I would buy a Red Star arms shepherds crook replacement to replace the current one.
                            That's a fine replacement part, and very useful if you are replacing a fire control group, but not really needed at first.

While you don't NEED to do anything to it before shooting, it would be GOOD to do a field strip to inspect and lube it up first.
                            J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Wow I didn't realize how easy it was to break down the ak!

One more question, I was looking at different sites trying to figure out how to disassemble it and read a couple places where it said you should not use any gun oil when cleaning the gun, is that right?

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
                                That's a fine replacement part, and very useful if you are replacing a fire control group, but not really needed at first.
                                In that case I would check to see if the Crook is actually properly installed. The one in my CAI WASR (I know, I know) was rattling around loose in the reciever. I doubt it would be a problem on an AK that wasn't put together by a drunken monkey.
                                Let no one lose heart on account of this Philistine; your servant will go and fight him

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 20092 users online. 558 members and 19534 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X