Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AK-47/74 rifles from around the world...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoken that is the Century arms convertered amd, I don't think the barrel is chrome lined and the fit/finish is going to suck. Look at the ones at Atlantic firearms, they are normally around the same price, with a good barrel, and much better fit and finish. You can always change out funiture and accessories to taste, but you want a good weapon to dress up. By the way FEG is the reciever and I think all of the Hungarian aks/amd's are made my them and then diffenrt US companies import them and do the parts compliace conversions. That is where they either destoy or improve an overall decent weapon...

Comment

My AK experiences started in the mid 1980's with fam fire while in the Army. Over the years I owned a few but was never real crazy about them. Last year I picked up a Yugo folder. It worked and was decent quality but it didn't do much for me. Last week a buddy needing some cash called me and asked me if I wanted a AK. I ended up buying a WASR AK, 1000 rounds of Wolf ammo and six mags off of him for $550.00 Kind of crude workmanship but it works. Long story short I took it out for my weekly shooting practice and now have a new found interest. I was surprised that after shooting the thing for a while at how banged up I felt. I am used to shooting a M1A quite often and don't mind a little recoil, but that small butt stock on the AK beat my shoulder pretty good.

I am presently looking for one of the Polish Tantal's (Spelling). Actually considering building one. I think I like the 5.45X39. It seems that the ammo is plentiful and reasonably priced,at least for now. It seems that the mags are somewhat scarce. I gotta have one! Thoughts, ideas or suggestions?
      "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Hey jwise, Thanks to your thread I have a renewed interest in the AK's. I have a Yugo folder and a WASR something or other. The Yugo is a nicer build IMO but I hate the stock. The WASR is somewhat crude but very reliable. My question is I want a 5.45X39. I was considering buying the parts and building one. I am 50/50 with my dad on a fully equipped welding shop but have no first hand knowledge of the riveting skills. Have you ever made one? DO you know of a good source for step by step instructions? They look rather simple and straight forward but..I have been around that stuff long enough to know that some things ain't like they seem. Thoughts?

By the way that Robinson Arms VP AK is one fine looking weapon. Very nice workmanship. Oh and thanks for the outstanding threads and my wife hates you. $$$$
        "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I found a Chinese norinco SKS 7.62x39 for $599! Good deal or no? It's only a 5 shot but could it be worked on to take hi-cap mags?

Comment

^^Disregard that. I did some googling and that price is way too high.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoken View Post
              Anybody ever heard of this AK47..............

AMD65 Hungarian FEG AMD-65 7.62x39 Rifle

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/H...x39_Rifle.html

That's a pretty interesting rifle. It's actually built on a Hungarian FEG receiver, however it is not an original factory build. I don't personally know who built the rifle from the parts kit, but I'll bet it was Century.

If Century farmed it out to a subcontractor, like they did with the Yugo rifles, then they might be fine.
              J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spoken View Post
                I found a pretty cheap brand new WASR, should I go for it? Whats the difference between a WASR 10 and a WASR 10/63M?
                The original WASR 10 is an unmodified rifle that feeds from a single stacked 10rd magazine. It is modified to accept the standard AK mags (30rd mags) by opening up the magazine well, and doing some internal parts changes.

The GP WASR-10 is the model that has been converted, and usually has a bayonet lug, threaded muzzle and flash suppressor (slant brake.)

I got the following information off Wikipedia, as I don't study the WASR model too much these days. I have no idea if it is accurate information...

GP WASR-10/63 (Pistol MitralierĂ„Æ’ 63)
                This designation was added by Century Arms International for marketing purposes only. WASRs with this designation are of no higher quality than any other WASR variant. Just as with all other WASR-10 rifles, these are newly manufactured with military rejected parts. This is not to say that they are unsafe, only that they would have caused problems when firing at full auto rates.
                The 2007 GP WASR-10/63 also has an updated front trunnion with added contact support for the bolt carrier.
                A WASR-10/63 with an under-folding stock was introduced into the product line in 2007.
                As of 2008 there are GP WASR-10/63 rifle's that are being made from demilled military rifles. Look for a triangle with arrow (some only have a triangle) on the front trunnion. Quality is much better with these.
                J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by j706 View Post
                  Hey jwise, Thanks to your thread I have a renewed interest in the AK's. I have a Yugo folder and a WASR something or other. The Yugo is a nicer build IMO but I hate the stock. The WASR is somewhat crude but very reliable. My question is I want a 5.45X39. I was considering buying the parts and building one. I am 50/50 with my dad on a fully equipped welding shop but have no first hand knowledge of the riveting skills. Have you ever made one? DO you know of a good source for step by step instructions? They look rather simple and straight forward but..I have been around that stuff long enough to know that some things ain't like they seem. Thoughts?

By the way that Robinson Arms VP AK is one fine looking weapon. Very nice workmanship. Oh and thanks for the outstanding threads and my wife hates you. $$$$
                  Plenty of people have built their own AKs, but there are also some absolutely horrible examples of "home brews" that would only be useful for using as a parts kit for another attempt.

You can build an AK one of two different ways, either with a "flat" receiver that must be bent into shape, or with a pre-bent receiver. You can either make one the correct way, with rivets, or the incorrect way, with screws (these are called "screw builds.") The barrel does not thread into the receiver, but is pressed in. You will need a special tool to perform this task.

You can find help on AR15.com's AK forum. Plenty of guys over there have made their own, and would be happy to help a newcomer at the project.

As for a Polish Tantal, they are great rifles. 5.45X39 is a pretty cool round, but I have no desire for another caliber to stockpile...
                  J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jwise View Post
                    Plenty of people have built their own AKs, but there are also some absolutely horrible examples of "home brews" that would only be useful for using as a parts kit for another attempt.

You can build an AK one of two different ways, either with a "flat" receiver that must be bent into shape, or with a pre-bent receiver. You can either make one the correct way, with rivets, or the incorrect way, with screws (these are called "screw builds.") The barrel does not thread into the receiver, but is pressed in. You will need a special tool to perform this task.

You can find help on AR15.com's AK forum. Plenty of guys over there have made their own, and would be happy to help a newcomer at the project.

As for a Polish Tantal, they are great rifles. 5.45X39 is a pretty cool round, but I have no desire for another caliber to stockpile...
                    I thought people were having problems with the barrels in Tantals?

Comment

• TheNewbie, if your still looking, this site is having a sale over the weekend......

www.peachstateguns.com

They have these three AK's on sale for $529 with free shipping and no CC fee....

AK-47 WASR 10 (Military version) with extras

AK-47 AMD-65 Hungarian sidefolder

AK-47 WASR 10 (Non-Military version) with extras

It says the military version comes with the works. Sling, bayonet, etc. Non-military version does not come with those things but it does come with the side rail and a sling.

What seems to be the best deal?
                      Last edited by Spoken; 05-08-2009, 11:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post

I think I will have a go at it. I will have to buy a pre bent receiver. The shoes on our brake will not make the required close bend for a receiver. I also did some looking and found a company that sells the tools for rivets. Heck I might even do a picture by picture step process. Now if I can just find the required stuff in stock. Seems most company's are out of stock.

I do visit AR15.com often. Nice site. Thanks jwise.

Comment

• Ok, I just order the WASR 10 Military style with the Bayonet, sling, etc. It was $529 with free shipping and no CC fee. The other cheapest ones I could find were $599 plus tax so this was the best deal around.

Comment

• I don't know. They sold for $299-329 before I came to law school... (Which was the last time I had the luxury of browsing gun shops and "for sale" ads.)
                            J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
                              I don't know. They sold for $299-329 before I came to law school... (Which was the last time I had the luxury of browsing gun shops and "for sale" ads.)
                              Yeah I looked EVERYWHERE. None of the pawn shops had any, all the stores and gunbroker had them ranging from $599 and up which would include tax so I got out or at least $100 cheaper so I can use that and get $100 ucks worth of ammo.

Comment

• I saw a WASR10 at a gun show the other day for $700, and it was the only one i remember seeing.
                                -"He detested failure more than anything else, even betrayal. Betrayal required intelligence and ruthlessness, failure only stupidity or lack of concentration."
                                -Daniel Silva

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 16720 users online. 282 members and 16438 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X