Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AK-47/74 rifles from around the world...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jwise, you done it again. I swore I'd stay away from these ugly sticks... but then you had to start this thread... and I started skimming it. Then to make matters worse, an old friend from school offers me some 7.62 ammo... and you know what that means. I'm now in the same boat as these others asking about Lancaster. Do they build good stuff? or who would you recommend to buy from and/or stay away from??
    sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

Originally posted by toasterlocker View Post
      Yeah, I was planning on calling them Monday to see what they actually have. They have a rep for not being very good about updating their site. Thanks guys.
      You could have emailed them like I did.

As of last night the only AK's they has in stock were:

AK47 Bulgarian SSR 85 Rifle Poly $739

Arsenal Inc SGL 10 Russian Saiga AK Rifle w/ Collapsing Stock $799.00

SKS Couldn't find it onsite

The Saiga will only accept Saiga & Surefire mags and they run close to $50 apiece. Decided if I ordered to go with the Bulgarian, unless I find something elsewhere.
      sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

Originally posted by Mstangfk View Post
        ...i just cant bring myself to get interested enough to own one..i carry grudges.
        I felt the same way. Then I got to thinking that if SHTF it might be good to familiarise myself with the AK in case that's all I have to work with... so thanks to that thought along with this thread and a friend giving me some ammo, I ordered a Bulgarian SSR 85.

Haven't decided whether I'll keep it or put it in inventory.
        sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

Originally posted by toasterlocker View Post
          So, I'm wondering about some of the cheaper "AKs" I've seen on Atlantic. They have "non-standard" furniture, and I'm wondering if they can be switched out for regular stuff. Are these even AKs, or do they just look like AKs?

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/beta...roduct433.aspx
          http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/beta...roduct446.aspx
          http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/beta...roduct691.aspx

I think these are all ugly as sin, but since I planned on doing some changing anyway, one of these may be the way to go with the high prices on everything else. So long as these are actually "AKs."
          The first one...

...is a Russian build much like the Saiga, which means its handguards are funky, and does not come with a handguard retaining plate. The conversion is not just a simple swap out of handguards, as the front sight will have to be pressed off, the gas block pressed off, then the retaining plate put in place. So, it's possible, but not easy.

The bottom two are Hungarian AMD-63s. That is how they originally look, and a lot of people really like them. I also think they are ugly as sin... However, there is a handguard retaining plate on the bottom, so swapping out the lower handguard for a traditional one appears to be an easy chore. There is not a retaining plate for the upper handguard, but that piece is easily swapped out for an all new gas tube with retaining plate.
          Last edited by jwise; 12-29-2008, 10:27 AM.
          J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zeplin View Post
            I felt the same way. Then I got to thinking that if SHTF it might be good to familiarise myself with the AK in case that's all I have to work with... so thanks to that thought along with this thread and a friend giving me some ammo, I ordered a Bulgarian SSR 85.

Haven't decided whether I'll keep it or put it in inventory.
            The SSRs are nice rifles. Very good.
            J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jwise View Post
              Thanks jwise. Without this thread, I doubt I would have given consideration to purchasing an AK. Your work is greatly appreciated.
              sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

I decided to spend the extra money on an SSR seeing as how it is the only thing available anyway. At least I don't have to worry about funky parts now.

It just breaks my heart that is is about $200 more expensive now than it used to be. I guess it is better to pay a lot than risk not having one at all. This will likely be my first rifle since none of the AR stuff I have ordered has come in yet.

Comment

Congrats, fellas!!
                  J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

Arsenal used to be a safe bet when it came to a great AK. For instance the SA M7 was a work of art. Not the case anymore.

I have owned alot of AK's and still do. I have a failry keen eye for what to look for when selecting an AK.

One thing holds certain for me. Beyond a VEPR, I WILL NOT buy an AK sight unseen.

And with Arsenal .223 guns, I would go a step further and wouldn't buy one unless I could shoot it for function first.

Comment

Just got notice from FedEx that my new SSR is in transit.
                      sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

Here's a little motivation for you, while ya wait!

J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

Does that have a grenade launcher site on it? I was looking at several the other day and some had them.

Do you know if the new one will come with a manual that will show how to dis& reassemble? They look more complicated than the AR's is why I ask.
                          sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

Only the Yugos come with the grenade launching sight. You don't want one...

They are VERY easy to disassemble. I'll show you how in a second (or two...)
                            J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

Only the Yugos come with the grenade launching sight. You don't want one...

They are VERY easy to disassemble. I'll show you how in a second (or two...)
                              A RollsRoyce Merlin is very easy to disassemble too... it's the reassembly that'll get ya.
                              Last edited by zeplin; 01-06-2009, 07:36 PM.
                              sigpic

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

AK Disassembly Instructions
                                J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12195 users online. 428 members and 11767 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X