Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AK-47/74 rifles from around the world...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't say much about milled receivers. Here's pretty much everything I wrote on the subject on page 1:

Historically, the AK-47 was originally designed in 7.62X39. The receiver was made from a machined piece of steel, like the Thompson submachine gun, and other rifles of the era. It later underwent a modernizing campaign, where its weight was significantly reduced (and money saved!) by making the receiver out of folded stamped metal. The modernized model was dubbed the AKM-47. Later still, the Russian government wanted a lighter weight bullet that created less recoil and developed the 5.45X39. The new model that chambered this round was called the AK-74. Milled receivers were no longer being produced, so all AK-74s are made from stamped metal receivers.
    Frankly, milled receivers look cool, weigh more, and the rigidity they add can actually lead to cracks and other less desirable effects. The Russian military went to stamped steel and didn't look back. Other than rounding out a collection, I don't see the point of a milled receiver.
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
      I didn't say much about milled receivers. Here's pretty much everything I wrote on the subject on page 1:

Frankly, milled receivers look cool, weigh more, and the rigidity they add can actually lead to cracks and other less desirable effects. The Russian military went to stamped steel and didn't look back. Other than rounding out a collection, I don't see the point of a milled receiver.
      Good advice that is helping me make my first AK purchase, thanks

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 15770 users online. 469 members and 15301 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X