Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AK-47/74 rifles from around the world...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To everyone who has ever wanted an AK, but never got around to buying one, HERE is your chance!

K-Var is selling the SGL 21 rifle (7.62X39) in three different colors (Black, OD Green & Plum) with two stock length options (Warsaw & NATO) for $500!!!!

They are the Russian Saiga rifles that have been professionally converted by Arsenal! These rifles are TOP NOTCH quality and represent the very best that can be had!

The sale price is temporary, then they will go back to $800-900. Get them QUICK, before they sell out!

I wish I could be buying several of them, but I don't think the wife is going to go for it! Not until I graduate and start earning again...

http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=353
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• as an ak newbie, may i ask whats the difference between a warsaw or nato stock?
      "You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."

Comment

• About 1.25" of stock length. The Warsaw is shorter.
        J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

• Optics.

I've come to the realization that my eyesight just isn't what it used to be. I'm still young, but unless I get lasik or a new set of glasses I simply can't focus on the front sight and pick out a bullseye against a target at 100y. Most of my shooting is on an illuminated target at night, which may play a big part of that. A 1x scope on my m1 carbine takes me from a 7" group to a 4" group, and that's before I dial up the power.

So I'm having trouble with my groups with the AK. I want to put an optic on there. I have a couple options.

The Russian sights look pretty good. A PK-A would attach to the side mount and sit nice and low and give me a dot for a little more than $200.

The PK-AS-S looks very appealing, but isn't made any more. Only two companies still have any stock, Kalinka and Eastwave, and Eastwave's seems to be going for $320 on ebay. It doesn't sit center line, which is how it gets nice and low to the receiver, but is rather designed so that when a right-handed shooter sights with their right eye down the optics and then opens their left eye they look directly down the optic. The reticle is a 170 MOA circle with a 1 MOA dot in the center and is etched on a 1x lens (which means eye relief, not an issue with the side mount). It is visible un-illuminated, and the center dot can be illuminated as well for (reports vary) 400-1000 hours. Due to the nature of the side mount, even if the batteries fail *and* for some reason the optic can't be used turned off (broken or some such) the irons are still available without moving the head.

But $320 is a lot of money. My local pawn shop has a bushnell holosight for $155, and sportsman's guide is selling eotech 512.65s for $350+shipping. My AK has a quad rail forend (Midwest Industries) which doesn't allow cowitness with any optic, but would support an optic if I give up cheek weld and my irons.

My heart says go Russian PK-AS before the optics are all history, but my head is saying that the price is too high compared to the Eotech. Anyone care to chime in and help push me one way or the other?
          **Not a LEO**

Comment

• Two words: AK Irondot.

J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• DROOOOOOOOOOOOOLLL
              sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• The AK iron dots are out of production. When Burris transitioned from the FastFire to the FastFire II, they made the base a little thicker to make it water resistant. This made it too thick for LaRue, and they're slowly redesigning the base to both work with the thicker FastFire II and offer new features. Word from Brian Fulton was to wait until next year.

EDIT:

I reread my email from Fulton. He actually said to check back after 'the first of the year,' so the new AK irondot may be coming soon. I picked up the holosight to put on my shotgun, which replaces the ATN digital reflex I'd had on there. The reflex died on me under warrantee and was subsequently lost in the mail headed back for service. I'll wait until tax refund time and hope the PK-AS units out there remain in stock, and take another look at the AK when I can appraise what Larue comes up with.
                Last edited by TimK; 12-16-2009, 05:03 PM.
                **Not a LEO**

Comment

• Good info, thanks!
                  J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Hi Bros. Use to own an AK-47 a couple decades ago. Have missed it to the hilt. This thread has bought back many wonderful memories! Thank-you very much jwise for all that you do in this forum!!! Yesterday, I ordered an Ak-47 7.62x39 Milled Receiver Sunburst Stock Matching Wood Pistol Grip SS Barrel from Lancaster Arms. Went to ammoman.com and ordered 1000 rounds of Russian Wolf FMJ New Polymer Coating non-corrosive for $239. I would assume that it is easy to replace the leaf to a peep site. Oh, oh, never assume! lol Would someone please tell me what the best peep replacement is and where to order it. Thank-you in advance. God bless Bros!!! Thank-you very much for Serving our communities and serving our country!!!!!!!

Comment

• I had a Mojo peep sight.

Congrats on the rifle purchase! I can't wait to see some pictures!

Sunburst stock:

Son...Of...A...[WOW]! With the optional SS barrel, that is going to be one beautiful rifle!
                      Last edited by jwise; 02-03-2010, 08:07 AM.
                      J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• Need Advice

J. Wise -

Thanks for all you do. I have learned so much from your AR-15 forum and steered a dozen other folks toward it.

I am trying to decide on a high-quality, modified AK variant. I just missed an opportunity on GunBroker.com last week which would probably have been perfect:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=159392836

It was a VEPR II K 7.62 (never fired) with M4 SOCOM Modular Stock Set, FN SAW Style Pistol Grip, “ULTIMAK” tri-rail handguard and barrel mounted “ULTIMAK” rail for optics. Wish I knew who built it (if anybody recognizes it, please let me know). Wish I had bought it.

My options are to buy a stock used VEPR II K and have the mods installed as mentioned above, or to go to K-Var for a SGL21-66 (Saiga) and have the rear stock and pistol grip changed out as mentioned above:

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17022

Or possibly a SA M-7 R in 7.62 from Arsenal:

http://www.arsenalinc.com/sam7r.htm

My questions:

Pros and cons of VEPR vs SAIGA vs Arsenal (i.e. the VEPR RPK receiver, Saiga stamped receiver, Arsenal milled receiver) (what would you do)?

Is the M4 SOCOM Modular Stock and FN pistol Grip something a proficient local gunsmith should be able to handle? Or do you recommend a particular gunsmith or company? (Krebs, Horn's Custom Rifles, others)

Any companies that would be able to do a complete build-up?

Thanks again for your work here on the forum.
                        M. Masters, USAF, retired

Comment

• Good question. The VEPR is heavy. No really, it is HEAVY. Its not just the RPK receiver, but the barrel is much thicker than standard barrels. This is what gives it part of its accuracy, but at too high a cost...

Get the SGL21. The SAW grip is a simple screw replacement. Any buffoon could do it with a screwdriver and a couple minutes. That stock is something else. I'm not sure how it attaches, but its probably not any harder than one, maybe two screws and a press fit (sand the plastic 'trunion' and tap it in with a mallet.)

None of those mods will require a custom shop, nor a gunsmith. You could do it yourself, guaranteed. It would be helpful to have someone around who has taken apart an AK. If that's not you, and you don't have any friends who have an AK, then you can't go wrong taking it to a local smithy. Do yourself a favor, and try it yourself, first.

My VEPR was my first AK. I wised-up as I went along. My last AK I bought was this one:

Its light and has a folding stock. Perfect.
                          J. Wise

sigpic

Comment

• As for the peep sight. The mojo and the peep sight from Krebs (kci) are similair and mounted where the original sight leaf is. There is an ar style sight from Tech Sights. The sight itself attaches to where the dust cover meets the rear trunion and is closer to the eye. It also extends the sight radius and is laterally adjustable.

Next texas weapons systems has a dog leg rail that mounts from the sight leaf to the stock trunion and has an optional flip up style buis. At about 150 for an improved sight and solid rail that offers co witness option for a quality optic. I like it alot.

I have an Arsenal krink and none of the above or an iron dot is an option. I am cosidering buying a cheaper ak to play with. Inter Ordinance newly American made and legally changable to any configeration looks promising. Or something like the Lancaster rough rider 5.45X39 for less than 500 from Atlantic firearms and super cheap ammo. I love my Arsenal but I hate that I can not use any if the available upgrades with out going boutique and over spending. I am hoping IO comes out with the 5.45 soon and I cand have it all in one cheap package.

Comment

• Originally posted by jwise View Post
                              (sand the plastic 'trunion' and tap it in with a mallet.)
                              Translation: Beat the h*ll out of it.
                              sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

• J. Wise--

Thanks for the good advice....I'll get the SGL21 as you recommended.

- Is K-Var's SGL21 among the best Saiga conversions? Or AK-USA AK-103? Someone else?

- Who puts out the best current 30-rd magazines for reliability in a Saiga conversion?

Two more questions:

A friend has asked about the 'American receivers' that are sometimes advertised....I can't find any info yet on what perceived shortcoming they are designed to fix.....your opinion?

Great looking AK in the picture in your response....what make and model is it, and what distributor? 7.62 or 5.45?

Thanks again for your time and effort.
                                M. Masters, USAF, retired

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5558 users online. 407 members and 5151 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X