Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9mm vs .40, this hasn't been argued lately..

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AhChit
    replied
    This is my simplistic thought on 9 vs. 40 ballistics: I have extensively shot the Ranger T series (Winchester's numbers below) and have found that when comparing 9mm and .40 I personally deal with the recoil of the 9 better than that of the .40, consistently putting 3 rounds of 9mm on target while only being able to put 2 rounds of .40 out in the same time. So for me it is simple math.

3x 441 ft-lbs= 1323 ft-lbs on target
    2x 476 ft-lbs= 952 ft-lbs on target

Blackdog said it up there somewhere........ shoot the biggest bullet in the biggest gun THAT YOU CAN AFFORD TO TRAIN WITH!!!!!!!

My opinion only...... your mileage may vary

Cartridge 40 Smith and Wesson 9mm Luger P
    Bullet Wt. Grs. 165 127
    Bullet Type T-Series T-Series
    Barrel Length (in) 4.00" -
    Velocity in Feet Per Second (fps)
    Muzzle 1140 1250
    50 1056 1125
    100 988 1038
    Energy in Foot Pounds (ft-lbs.)
    Muzzle 476 441
    50 409 357
    100 357 304
    Mid-Range Trajectory (in.)
    50 0.9 0.8
    100 3.9 3.4

Leave a comment:

• Sleuth
    replied
    Let me put some perspective to what is becoming a ""stopping power"" discussion: In the early 70's, there was a shooting in either LA or NYC (I can't recall, I have slept since then). The suspect was shot several times with revolvers, and two 12 gauge slugs, and still ran another block before having the decency to die.

The only round I know of that stops them for sure is a 155 Cannon round, direct hit. I did see a video of an Iraqi who shot at a U.S. Marine helo. The helo was out of 7.62, it was out of 40MM, but they did have a TOW (anti-tank) missile left. The TOW actually impacted on his AK47. That was also a positive, if expensive, kill.

So, never expect your round of choice to work. Anyone worth shooting is worth shooting to the ground - 9mm, .40, .45 matter not. Surviving matters - in fact, survival is the ONLY victory.

Leave a comment:

• Jsstritz
    replied
    the reason i got the PM9 and not the PM40 was when i bought the PM9 i wasnt a sworn LEO yet and didnt have a .40 duty weapon. i didnt see a point in selling the 9 to get the .40 version in the kahr. im very happy with the 9mm little kahr. if i had bought it after getting my G23, then i would have gone .40

Leave a comment:

• WC145
    replied
    I carry all 9mm's - on duty, off duty, BUG, carbine. I'm comfortable and confident with the weapons and the load and shoot very well with all of them. If it's too much for them I've got the 5.56 and 12ga backing them up.

Leave a comment:

• Dwntwn317
    replied
    It really doesn't matter if you ask me. It is all about hitting your target and the way the target will react. There are plenty of videos on-line that you can research and see people shot with .45s and they still keep going. In the town I grew up in, some kids were fooling around with a .22LR in a pistol or rifle I don't know. Anyways, the driver side backseat passenger pulled the trigger on accident and the gun fired. The bullet went through the seat, into the back torso area of the driver. The driver died from being shot once with a .22LR. Another recent robbery of a pawn shop: Guy walks in with gun. Pawn shop sells guns _and_ keeps them loaded and ready to go. They can pick-up any gun on display and start firing. Anyways, owner sees the robber, pulls his own .32 or .380 (don't remember) and shoots the robber, hitting him at least once. The robber turns around to flee and another clerk grabs a .44mag. Shoots the robber through the back. The bullet goes through the robber, through the front glass door, and hits a car across the street and drops (the photos showed it didn't penetrate the quarter panel). As soon as the bullet hit the guy, they reported he dropped to his knees, then fell over and died. Not sure if it was a .44mag or .44spl, hollow point or what.

Leave a comment:

• FLTPRdude
    replied
    "Supposedly a robbery, but nobody saw nothing..."

So, so true. It seems like I've heard that somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Woofdog
    replied
    Originally posted by FiremanMike View Post
    9mm vs .40 caliber.

From what I'm finding, the 9mm is still more than adequate as a duty round, however it seems that hardly anyone (especially in my area) carries 9mm any longer.

Discuss.

Oh, God. Not again.

Shot placement. It's better than bullet diameter.

Leave a comment:

• R12GS
    replied
    45acp > 9mm > 40S&W in that order.

Leave a comment:

replied
    .40 .40 .40 ,,, thats all ive got to say on that

Leave a comment:

• pulicords
    replied
    Originally posted by Jsstritz View Post
    on duty we have G23s. off duty and backup i carry a 9mm (PM9).

With that being said if my clothing allows for it i will carry the larger .40 but thats only during the winter really.
    I've never been able to understand the, "more concealable argument" when discussing 9mm vs .40 S&W. Virtually every 9mm model pistol I'm familiar with has a .40 S&W "twin" made by the same company and the larger caliber weapon's total capacity differs by only one round. I suppose it's possible that the additional round in a 9mm pistol could make "the difference" in a lethal force incident, but so could hitting the suspect with a larger diameter, heavier bullet. Personally, I'd feel better using the bigger bullets, but having a total capacity of one less shot.

Leave a comment:

• Jsstritz
    replied
    on duty we have G23s. off duty and backup i carry a 9mm (PM9). i believe in the "be able to shoot accurately" idea and am fully confident in my 9mm

With that being said if my clothing allows for it i will carry the larger .40 but thats only during the winter really. i also carry an extra mag religiously when i carry the PM9 as its only single stack and im more comfortable knowing i have the extra 7 rounds in the pocket on top of the 7 in the weapon.

Leave a comment:

• Hoss 48
    replied
    seems most of the departments in our area carry the 40, SW Ohio. I carry a 40 or 9 off duty. I personally like the 9, since the gun usually carries more rounds than a 40, I dont need two magazines. I dont usually shoot at cars off duty unless they cut me off haha. I carry the nine more out of convenience than anything else. However, with the glock compact 40 and 9 they are both similar in size so I have to agree ford/chevy debate, course I prefer Nissan.

Leave a comment:

• Sleuth
    replied
    OK, Sleuth will convene the ballistics class once again:

Internal Ballistics: Who Cares

External Ballistics: See Above

Terminal Ballistics: Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement

The reason we don't carry .22 shorts? Because we cannot guarantee our ability to shoot the outlaw in the eye from any distance while we are both moving. With ammo designed since the FBI Miami Shootout, the caliber makes little difference.

Me, I carry a .45 or a 9mm - I never got into the .40, but if it floats your particular boat ...

Leave a comment:

• Mstangfk
    replied
    so when are we gonna get to roll with .50 AE?

Leave a comment:

• velobard
    replied
    Originally posted by Monkeybomb View Post
    We did a bunch of shooting through windshields. If your agency will allow it either get some junk cars and take out to the range and see what really happens with what you use. Then get some winshields and set them on barrels etc. try and shoot a target behind the glass. You may be very surprised by the outcome. I know I was.
    As a civilian I don't picture too many scenarios where I'd have to worry about windshields, but I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Due to an old wrist injury I prefer 9 or 45 to 40. There are settings where I like the option of having more rounds available (9mm), but my usual pick is the 45. My carry choice in 9mm is Ranger 115g +p or Buffalo Bore 115 +p+. For greater penetration, I'm impressed with the semi-wadcutter 147g. In 45 I carry rounds with the 185g Barnes XPB copper load.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2545 users online. 143 members and 2402 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X