Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9mm vs .40, this hasn't been argued lately..

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FiremanMike View Post
    This is an open discussion, I'd love to read some data on that?

Enough back and forth. The only DATA I possess is first-hand knowledge, i.e.my own two eyes...
    Have a great day!!!
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Look I'm not trying to go back and forth here, I'm trying to make an educated decision. My agency can't afford ammo/junk cars to play with, nor would we have a place to do that. Please give me some constructive insight.
      Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

http://le.atk.com/general/irl/woundballistics.aspx

Federal (Maker of bullets such as C9BPLE which has been killing people for a LONG TIME...) will come out and do a workshop if you ask.

They bring the jello, barriers & whatever ammo they are selling, you can test your duty loads too.

(Someone request a workshop in CT. I wanna see some jello get shot!!!)

Comment

I was at one in 2003 when we were evaluating the Winchester Ranger ammo. That was pre-HST of course and the results were awesome! Ranger out-performed everything at the time. Now, if I were unable to get the HST ammo, I'd still feel comfortable with Ranger's line.
          NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

In response to the 9mm vs. .40, I'm a civilian and can't afford to buy large quantities of .40. Also, I prefer .45 to .40. I find the .45 recoils easier than the .40. For the most part, I practice with the 9mm, but do practice with a .45 and keep one at my bedside. I cringe at using my store of .45 as it's becoming more and more expensive to replace. As LEO's, does your dept buy your ammo to practice with? A friend of mine is a LEO in Edgewater, NJ and they use the Glock 32 / 357 Sig. Can't imagine what their ammo costs are.

Comment

All our ammo is provided.........

shotgun
              "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
                This topic has been done to death.

Carry the biggest caliber in the biggest gun you can. Make sure you can hit what you aim at. If you can lay your hands on a rifle, use that.

That is pretty much all there is to the caliber debate.

I carry a .45ACP on duty, a .45ACP off duty or a 9mm when the weather is hot and I am only in a t-shirt.

It more important that you HAVE A GUN and know how to use it than worrying about WHAT gun or WHAT caliber.
                I couldn't have said it any better than Blackdog....except other than a rifle I'd add a 12guage slug or buck shot as a great option also.
                "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeybomb View Post
                  We did a bunch of shooting through windshields. If your agency will allow it either get some junk cars and take out to the range and see what really happens with what you use. Then get some winshields and set them on barrels etc. try and shoot a target behind the glass. You may be very surprised by the outcome. I know I was.
                  As a civilian I don't picture too many scenarios where I'd have to worry about windshields, but I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Due to an old wrist injury I prefer 9 or 45 to 40. There are settings where I like the option of having more rounds available (9mm), but my usual pick is the 45. My carry choice in 9mm is Ranger 115g +p or Buffalo Bore 115 +p+. For greater penetration, I'm impressed with the semi-wadcutter 147g. In 45 I carry rounds with the 185g Barnes XPB copper load.

Comment

so when are we gonna get to roll with .50 AE?
                    In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

OK, Sleuth will convene the ballistics class once again:

Internal Ballistics: Who Cares

External Ballistics: See Above

Terminal Ballistics: Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement

The reason we don't carry .22 shorts? Because we cannot guarantee our ability to shoot the outlaw in the eye from any distance while we are both moving. With ammo designed since the FBI Miami Shootout, the caliber makes little difference.

Me, I carry a .45 or a 9mm - I never got into the .40, but if it floats your particular boat ...
                      "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                      John Stuart Mill

Comment

seems most of the departments in our area carry the 40, SW Ohio. I carry a 40 or 9 off duty. I personally like the 9, since the gun usually carries more rounds than a 40, I dont need two magazines. I dont usually shoot at cars off duty unless they cut me off haha. I carry the nine more out of convenience than anything else. However, with the glock compact 40 and 9 they are both similar in size so I have to agree ford/chevy debate, course I prefer Nissan.

Comment

on duty we have G23s. off duty and backup i carry a 9mm (PM9). i believe in the "be able to shoot accurately" idea and am fully confident in my 9mm

With that being said if my clothing allows for it i will carry the larger .40 but thats only during the winter really. i also carry an extra mag religiously when i carry the PM9 as its only single stack and im more comfortable knowing i have the extra 7 rounds in the pocket on top of the 7 in the weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsstritz View Post
                            on duty we have G23s. off duty and backup i carry a 9mm (PM9).

With that being said if my clothing allows for it i will carry the larger .40 but thats only during the winter really.
                            I've never been able to understand the, "more concealable argument" when discussing 9mm vs .40 S&W. Virtually every 9mm model pistol I'm familiar with has a .40 S&W "twin" made by the same company and the larger caliber weapon's total capacity differs by only one round. I suppose it's possible that the additional round in a 9mm pistol could make "the difference" in a lethal force incident, but so could hitting the suspect with a larger diameter, heavier bullet. Personally, I'd feel better using the bigger bullets, but having a total capacity of one less shot.
                            "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

.40 .40 .40 ,,, thats all ive got to say on that

Comment

45acp > 9mm > 40S&W in that order.
                                People grow through experience, if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4626 users online. 319 members and 4307 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X