Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9mm vs .40, this hasn't been argued lately..

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9mm vs .40, this hasn't been argued lately..

9mm vs .40 caliber.

From what I'm finding, the 9mm is still more than adequate as a duty round, however it seems that hardly anyone (especially in my area) carries 9mm any longer.

Discuss.
    Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Thats because they carry the 45 acp.................Couldn't resist.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

I went from a Glock .40 S&W to a Glock .45 ACP. I LOOOOOOOVE it.

Comment

It's shot placement. That's what counts. I'd rather hit a guy with a 9mm than miss with a .40! lol

Seriously, you have to incapacitate a person.

Comment

I have a client who got a round of 10mm in the back of his head, midline to the right of center, exiting 1-1.5 inches above/behind his right ear, and took 3 more 9mm in that encounter and he is still alive and walking around.

(It was a pharmaceutical distribution rights dispute...)

I have another who took a round of 9mm from the side to the face (in and out) and 4 more rounds in his legs in that encounter (Supposedly a robbery, but nobody saw nothing...I'm sure you never encounter things like that...), and he's fine. Incarcerated...but fine.

The actual round doesn't matter.

Only disrupting vital structures matters. If you put a hole in a critical part of the brain, spine or heart, they die/stop.

Otherwise...they don't.

Comment

With todays bullets its a ford or chevy deal.

Comment

This topic has been done to death.

Carry the biggest caliber in the biggest gun you can. Make sure you can hit what you aim at. If you can lay your hands on a rifle, use that.

That is pretty much all there is to the caliber debate.

I carry a .45ACP on duty, a .45ACP off duty or a 9mm when the weather is hot and I am only in a t-shirt.

It more important that you HAVE A GUN and know how to use it than worrying about WHAT gun or WHAT caliber.
              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
              8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell_in_CT View Post
                (It was a pharmaceutical distribution rights dispute...)

Oh, we have those but we call them armed civil disputes......

Comment

Although shot placement is always important (with any caliber), using a 9mm instead of a .40 S&W or .45 can matter if the location where the bullet strikes demands more diameter and momentum to get the job done than a smaller caliber round is capable of providing. If shot placement was "everything", we'd all be carrying .22 LR pistols and this wouldn't even be an issue.

Sometimes due to the objects found between the shooter and "shootee", penetration is insufficient to reach the vital area(s) being targeted. Sheet metal, wood, stucco, glass, clothing, muscle and bone, all inhibit the ability of lighter weight bullets from getting to the desired destinations. Even when the general area targeted is struck, using a larger caliber round will enhance the injury and at least slightly increase the likelihood of a faster stop.

I've seen small framed teens properly trained to shoot large caliber pistols quickly and accurately. With a proper sized grip (no larger than found on similar 9mm pistols) and short trigger reach, any properly trained adult LEO should be able to shoot a .40+ caliber pistol as well as a 9mm. We don't carry 20, 28 or .410 bore shotguns as police service weapons, because using a 12 gauge shotgun isn't something beyond the scope of our abilities.

Virtually every hand held firearm provides only limited effectiveness. Why limit our ability to defend ourselves and others even more?
                  "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Ok, I've heard some opinions, so here's why I ask.

I can shoot a .40, very well actually. I've always owned .40, and find the recoil quite manageable. My duty belt holds a total of 37 rounds of .40 winchester rangers and I'm quite comfortable that I have enough firepower.

My next purchase will be an M&P compact. I hated the glock 27 because it was just too snappy, but I'll fully admit I've never shot the M&P40 compact. In addition to recoil on the little guys, 9mm ammo is much cheaper, and a few extra rounds when I'm on my own might not be a bad thing.

I kinda figure the natural progression is that if I get the M&Pc, I will likely end up getting an M&P fullsize for duty carry, and it would be a waste of a huge bonus feature to have a 9mm compact backup and a .40 fullsize duty weapon.
                    Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

The answer is....

9 mm bounce off windshields..

.40 cal penetrate windshields..
                      "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Bonded ammo in either caliber will penetrate windshields.

Comment

Originally posted by FiremanMike View Post
                          Bonded ammo in either caliber will penetrate windshields.
                          DISAGREE...that's why we changed....
                          "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

This is an open discussion, I'd love to read some data on that?

Comment

We did a bunch of shooting through windshields. If your agency will allow it either get some junk cars and take out to the range and see what really happens with what you use. Then get some winshields and set them on barrels etc. try and shoot a target behind the glass. You may be very surprised by the outcome. I know I was.
                              The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5679 users online. 251 members and 5428 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X