Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sscpd223
    replied
    Well don't I feel like an idiot. I just spent $3500 on a brand new OOW BAR w/ a bakelite stock. I even waited a year for it. What was I thinking. I should have talked to Tazaroo first.

Leave a comment:

• tazaroo
    replied
    I used to have a Auto Ordnance M1928A1 semi version. The only thing I hated about it was the 10 to 12lb. trigger pull. It made any type of rapid fire a pain in the finger. I hope they lessened the pull weight or your gonna get sick of it real quick and thats the main reason I sold mine. By the way, no one is going to pay $3,800 for a OOW BAR. You'll have to wait almost 18 months for a new one if your on the waiting list or be prepared to pay almost 5k for a used one.

Leave a comment:

• Hoss 48
    replied
    I have a couple of friends that had tommy guns and they ended up getting rid of them. They jammed alot and became a burden to keep functioning. Just a thought. I personally would definitely go with the sig if it was me.

Leave a comment:

• Bing_Oh
    replied
    Oh, I'd only load 31 rounds in the 50 round drum mag as per Ohio law.

Leave a comment:

• Shotar
    replied
    Bear in mind that you can't use the 50 round drum in Ohio. It would make your semi auto gun an unregistered machinegun under 2923. It would become a dangerous ordinance. You can own it, but you can't put it into the rifle as you would then have a center fire rifle with a greater than 30 round mag.

The only way around this is to get the gun registered on the NFA and pay the $200 tax stamp and I think you would need to make it a short barreled rifle as the registry is no longer open to new machine guns since 1986 except for departmentally owned guns.

Hate to throw a damper on things, but you can still use the 30 round stick mags.

Leave a comment:

• Bing_Oh
    replied
    Got the Thompson for $915 with two 30 round stick mags. Cheaperthandirt has the best price so far for the violin case at $132...Most other sites seem to be $150+.

Leave a comment:

• Sgt. Slaughter
    replied
    What price did you pay for the gun? What price have you found for the violin case, so far?

Leave a comment:

• Bing_Oh
    replied
    Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
    Atta boy! Congratulations on your new toy. Hope you see a picture in a fedora and pin-striped suit sometime.

I bet a 50-round drum costs a pretty penny....
    Yea, about the cheapest I've found a 50 round drum is in the area of $200. That might be a later accessory.

Leave a comment:

• Sgt. Slaughter
    replied
    Atta boy! Congratulations on your new toy. Hope you see a picture in a fedora and pin-striped suit sometime.

I bet a 50-round drum costs a pretty penny....

Leave a comment:

• Bing_Oh
    replied
    Well, I made my decision.

During my deliberations, I inspected my current firearms collection. I have a decent collection of pistols used either on duty or as backups/off-dutys. I have my Mossy 500A that I bought as a "door greeter" for home defense. I have a heavy barrel Marlin bolt action .22 for pests on mom's farm. And I have my decked-out AR that I use as a duty rifle. I enjoy shooting all of them, but every single one was bought with a legitimate purpose in mind. In other words, I have never bought a firearm just because I wanted it and without a specific job in mind.

So, I decided that I was going to buy my first full-fledged "toy" and went with the Thompson (the fact that I already have an AR also had alot to do with it...I've always put need over want when it comes to firearms). I went with a 1927 A1 with the steel receiver and found a pretty decent price on Gunbroker. With this purchase, I've officially fulfilled a dream that I've had since I was probably about 8 years old...I've got a Tommy Gun!

I'll post pics when I have it in-hand. And my first accessory will be the violin case.

Leave a comment:

• exdrip
    replied
    Thompson! Hands down...make sure you get a nice hat & trench coat to go with it.

Leave a comment:

• jwise
    replied
    That Thompson (Auto-Ordnance) weighs in at 13lbs.

1927A-1 T1

You can also get the same thing with an aluminum receiver (1927A-1 T5), which only weighs 9lbs, and costs about $250 less. Still, it will weigh more than the Sig 556 (7.8lbs).

If you just really gotta have a Thompson for your own happiness, go for it. I like to buy based on perceived needs, except for when it comes to historic US Military weapons. Since the Thompson WAS a military arm as well as an icon of the American Roaring 20's, it fits the bill.

[I'd probably just get the Sig, as utility will win out over a collector's-piece nearly every time.]
    Last edited by jwise; 11-30-2008, 04:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FEDCOPGUY
    replied
    I had aTommy Gun for a while...fun but expensive to shoot!

Leave a comment:

• Surf
    replied
    I would love to own a Tommygun. I am good to go in the AR/M4 types, so my choice would probably be the Tommygun, money etc not being an issue. But then if money wasn't an issue, I would get one of each.

Leave a comment:

• ruraldeputy17
    replied
    Just buy them both. Last time I was at Wolly World 45acp was cheaper. Then you could donate it to a VERY poor deputy (ME!!!). Honestly, if you already have an AR I would opt for the Tommy. Either way you are in a win-win situation. Lets us know which way you went and hopefully show us some good pics of the tommy.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6183 users online. 335 members and 5848 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X