Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're into nostalgia get the Thompson. If you want the most modern, efficient, duty or defense semi-auto go with the Sig. The Thompson is extremely heavy and cumbersome considering it's shooting a pistol caliber cartridge. For serious defense, I'd go with a modern .223 like the Sig. Magazines are more available and less expensive, plus loading a 50 round drum is very time consuming and those magazines are complicated and more prone to breakage.
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Just buy them both. Last time I was at Wolly World 45acp was cheaper. Then you could donate it to a VERY poor deputy (ME!!!). Honestly, if you already have an AR I would opt for the Tommy. Either way you are in a win-win situation. Lets us know which way you went and hopefully show us some good pics of the tommy.

Comment

I would love to own a Tommygun. I am good to go in the AR/M4 types, so my choice would probably be the Tommygun, money etc not being an issue. But then if money wasn't an issue, I would get one of each.
        The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

I had aTommy Gun for a while...fun but expensive to shoot!
          Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Comment

That Thompson (Auto-Ordnance) weighs in at 13lbs.

1927A-1 T1

You can also get the same thing with an aluminum receiver (1927A-1 T5), which only weighs 9lbs, and costs about $250 less. Still, it will weigh more than the Sig 556 (7.8lbs).

If you just really gotta have a Thompson for your own happiness, go for it. I like to buy based on perceived needs, except for when it comes to historic US Military weapons. Since the Thompson WAS a military arm as well as an icon of the American Roaring 20's, it fits the bill.

[I'd probably just get the Sig, as utility will win out over a collector's-piece nearly every time.]
            Last edited by jwise; 11-30-2008, 05:44 PM.
            J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Thompson! Hands down...make sure you get a nice hat & trench coat to go with it.
              "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

Well, I made my decision.

During my deliberations, I inspected my current firearms collection. I have a decent collection of pistols used either on duty or as backups/off-dutys. I have my Mossy 500A that I bought as a "door greeter" for home defense. I have a heavy barrel Marlin bolt action .22 for pests on mom's farm. And I have my decked-out AR that I use as a duty rifle. I enjoy shooting all of them, but every single one was bought with a legitimate purpose in mind. In other words, I have never bought a firearm just because I wanted it and without a specific job in mind.

So, I decided that I was going to buy my first full-fledged "toy" and went with the Thompson (the fact that I already have an AR also had alot to do with it...I've always put need over want when it comes to firearms). I went with a 1927 A1 with the steel receiver and found a pretty decent price on Gunbroker. With this purchase, I've officially fulfilled a dream that I've had since I was probably about 8 years old...I've got a Tommy Gun!

I'll post pics when I have it in-hand. And my first accessory will be the violin case.
                "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Atta boy! Congratulations on your new toy. Hope you see a picture in a fedora and pin-striped suit sometime.

I bet a 50-round drum costs a pretty penny....
                  NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
                    Atta boy! Congratulations on your new toy. Hope you see a picture in a fedora and pin-striped suit sometime.

I bet a 50-round drum costs a pretty penny....
                    Yea, about the cheapest I've found a 50 round drum is in the area of $200. That might be a later accessory.
                    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

What price did you pay for the gun? What price have you found for the violin case, so far?
                      NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Got the Thompson for $915 with two 30 round stick mags. Cheaperthandirt has the best price so far for the violin case at $132...Most other sites seem to be $150+.
                        -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Bear in mind that you can't use the 50 round drum in Ohio. It would make your semi auto gun an unregistered machinegun under 2923. It would become a dangerous ordinance. You can own it, but you can't put it into the rifle as you would then have a center fire rifle with a greater than 30 round mag.

The only way around this is to get the gun registered on the NFA and pay the $200 tax stamp and I think you would need to make it a short barreled rifle as the registry is no longer open to new machine guns since 1986 except for departmentally owned guns.

Hate to throw a damper on things, but you can still use the 30 round stick mags.

Comment

Oh, I'd only load 31 rounds in the 50 round drum mag as per Ohio law.
                            -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I have a couple of friends that had tommy guns and they ended up getting rid of them. They jammed alot and became a burden to keep functioning. Just a thought. I personally would definitely go with the sig if it was me.

Comment

I used to have a Auto Ordnance M1928A1 semi version. The only thing I hated about it was the 10 to 12lb. trigger pull. It made any type of rapid fire a pain in the finger. I hope they lessened the pull weight or your gonna get sick of it real quick and thats the main reason I sold mine. By the way, no one is going to pay $3,800 for a OOW BAR. You'll have to wait almost 18 months for a new one if your on the waiting list or be prepared to pay almost 5k for a used one.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3673 users online. 262 members and 3411 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X