300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very serious firearms question...

Greetings, folks. Long time no see, I know, but I have returned with a very serious firearms question for my old comprades around here. I trust that you guys will be able to help me work through it.

I am in a moral quandry and need assistance....I'm torn between two rifles.

The first rifle I'm considering is the Sig 556. I've found a decent price on them and have been drooling over them since they were announced.

The other is an Auto Ordinance Thompson 1927 semiauto. Yea, I'm talking about a Tommy Gun.

I could use the Sig as a duty rifle, though I already have an AR15 decked out (EOTech, tac light, rails, sling, etc) that I carry. The Tommy, on the other hand, is one of my short-list dream guns...one of those toys I've always wanted (not to mention the pure coolness factor of going to the range and pulling out a Tommy Gun with a 50 round drum magazine).

I can only realistically afford one or the other and either one would bring me joy on the range. So, I need opinions. Whatta ya think?
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Had you not said you had an AR all decked out for duty, I would have said SIG hands down. Which one has more of a Shi+s and giggles factor to you? That would be your deciding factor. Otherwise, the SIG using the same ammo might be a nice thing. The Tommy is a neat novelty, but is not as easy to shoot. Although the Tommy is a form of Americana in itself... However, buying the Tommy requires buying an appropriate fedora hat to go with it.

Comment

Get a second mortgage and buy both.
      Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

As long as you are buying the hat and suit with a rose in the outside pocket Id say the tommy. But if that is alittle too far then Id say the sig. I however would do anything in my power to get both.
        What Is A Veteran?
        A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Comment

If it were me, I'd go with the sig.. but honestly you should sleep it off and see what you really want. Go to a gun store and touch and feel both and see which one gets you more excited?

Comment

For my money since I assume neither you or I can afford the $17,000 for a machinegun, I would go with the factory model Short Barreled Rifle with the detatchable stock. Nothing ballistically is gained by going with a too long barrel in 45ACPhttp://www.auto-ordnance.com/PA-1TH_tsb.html

Comment

Originally posted by occ View Post
              Go to a gun store and touch and feel both and see which one gets you more excited?
              "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

The Tommy Gun of course.

The Sig, while a fine fighting gun by all accounts, does not have the soul of the Tommy Gun. Since you already have a duty rifle (and I feel that a top-level AR is a better choice than the SIG) I say go with the Thompson. They will still be making Sig's for awhile. You don't get a lot of chances to buy an original Thompson.
                "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Originally posted by Long Gun View Post
                  Had you not said you had an AR all decked out for duty, I would have said SIG hands down. Which one has more of a Shi+s and giggles factor to you? That would be your deciding factor. Otherwise, the SIG using the same ammo might be a nice thing. The Tommy is a neat novelty, but is not as easy to shoot. Although the Tommy is a form of Americana in itself... However, buying the Tommy requires buying an appropriate fedora hat to go with it.
                  Don't forget the violin case!! I had a chance to shoot a full auto Tommy gun a few years back. Awesome experience!! Once was enough!

Comment

Live your dream....
                    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by phillyrube View Post
                      Don't forget the violin case!! I had a chance to shoot a full auto Tommy gun a few years back. Awesome experience!! Once was enough!
                      Funny you should mention the violin case. There was a violin case specifically designed for a tommy gun on gunbroker and I was thinking that it would be a required accessory.

I'm now leaning heavily toward the Thompson. I think that, assuming I can find one for the right price, that I might be buying myself a Christmas present this year.
                      "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                      -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

The best defense is a good offense so instead of getting the defense rifle... get the Thompson!

And here is a case at http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/41641-1.html
                        Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

Comment

I suppose I could also consider a BAR but I'm not able to find $3800 in change between the cushions of my couch...

http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/sem.../SLR-semi.html
                          -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Reason for Editing.
                            Last edited by lazycop; 02-23-2010, 02:18 PM.
                            Work smarter not harder!

Comment

follow your dream, get the tommy........
                              sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4597 users online. 283 members and 4314 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X