300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun Shows...ever gotten a "good deal?"

So, there I was today, walking through a gun show near DIA. I had $200 cash, in my pocket, just in case I saw something I couldn't live without. I didn't buy a thing. On the drive home, I'm asking why I still make an effort to go to these things.

Now, admittedly, a year ago I bought five AK mags, an AK carrying case, and some 7.62X39 ammo. But I don't think I would ever buy a gun at a gun show.

Do you attend these things? Ever buy anything that was a real bargain? Ever get taken? Are you creeped out (like me) by some of the attendees, sellers?

Share your views on these events, please...
    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Tanner gun show or the Crossroads? I used to get a great deal on ammunition. Venator out of Wyoming had some darned good remanufactured ammo for cheap. haven't seen them around for years. I haven't seen a good deal at a gun show in at least 10 years though. Last one was a Colt H-Bar for 550 bucks brand new. But that was 13 years ago.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Crossroads...Tanner is next month.
      "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

I went to a local gun show and it looked like half the people in there shouldn't have guns even though police were screening attendees, they all looked like drug dealers and users.

Comment

You are right. I can't see myself buying a gun there either. Accessories maybe but not guns. I actually went to one today and was extremely dissapointed. There was hardly anything worth seeing and the stuff they did have was way overpriced.

Comment

i got a damn good deal on my Rem 870 at a show in Gainesville several years ago. I've found the best time to go ins late Sunday when they're about to pack it up and go home. They're more willing to deal.
            Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Being a dealer who can order new stuff at dealer price, I only attend gun shows to buy old production guns or things like powder and primers which require haz-mat fees when ordered in shipped.

That and to meet up with gun friends.

I have not bothered to set up to sell stuff at a gun show for probably 3 yrs now as the business is just moving totally to internet sales and mail order.

Once in a great while I do get to cherry pick a gun that just turns up, but usually my buying decisions are well in advance thought out looking for specific things.

Comment

Nope. I generally just go to see the stupidity and bond with my son.

Once in awhile I will manage to pickup a used part at market cost and save the shipping. Anything NIB is usually priced stupid high around here.
                "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

A couple years ago, I picked up a brand new Taurus 85 airweight in .38 special for $290. That's about $50.00 cheaper than I could find in the local gun store that even had them. At the beginning of this year, I picked up a Ruger LCP for $330. It's the recommended retail value, but they had one so I didn't have to wait. Neither were GREAT deals, but better than any gun shop in my area. Ammo has been a real disappointment at the shows around here. Even their military surplus is overpriced if you shop online. About the only good thing I've found is that you can still find some discontinued ammo if you have the rare gun. You'll pay for it, but you can usually get it.

Comment

I've gotten good deals at shows on plenty of occasions. But, I was at the same Crossroads show you went to on Saturday, and there was no such thing as a good deal. Post-election pandemonium and people were only too happy to pay $20 for AR mags. WASR-10 for $650 and unconverted Saigas for $500-$700.

I guess last example of a good deal would have to be the most recent Tanner show, a couple of days before the election. Bought a NIB XD-45 Tactical for $510, out of the door price. At a show, if you can't find a decent deal, then you're either not looking, or you can't haggle.

Comment

I've gotten good deals on ammo cans, but thats about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trempel View Post
                        I've gotten good deals at shows on plenty of occasions. But, I was at the same Crossroads show you went to on Saturday, and there was no such thing as a good deal. Post-election pandemonium and people were only too happy to pay $20 for AR mags. WASR-10 for $650 and unconverted Saigas for $500-$700.

I guess last example of a good deal would have to be the most recent Tanner show, a couple of days before the election. Bought a NIB XD-45 Tactical for $510, out of the door price. At a show, if you can't find a decent deal, then you're either not looking, or you can't haggle.
                        The new Arsenal Legion series Saigas go for about $750, which is way too much IMHO. I got my WASR-10 a month before the election for $299 and after refinishing the wood and doing the rest in Molyresin, I could probably get $550-$600 for it, even though I don't plan on selling it.

Comment

Like the others I generally stick to accessories only at the gun shows. If I see cheap mags/holsters/etc I might pick them up. I avoid the guns+ammo (except for gawking, of course).

But a buddy of mine picked up a new Mossberg 500 at a gun show a few months ago and he's had no issues. I don't think he got a great deal on it but he didn't get ripped off.

Comment

I've picked up a couple good deals over the years, but you've got to be real careful, inspect the weapon closely and know current prices before making a buy. Most of what I buy these days is ammo and components (due to restrictive waiting periods), but I did buy a ANIB Colt Woodsman .22 caliber pistol a few years ago for only $300.00. It would easily sell for $900.00 now.

I would always ID the seller and call in a check on the gun through CLETS/NCIC before completing a purchase.
                            "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                              Are you creeped out (like me) by some of the attendees, sellers?

Share your views on these events, please...
                              I used to deal with the Crossroads of the West gun show on a regular basis. A motorcycle Swap Meet was also held in the same facility on a regular basis and was primarily attended by Hell's Angel's, Hessians, Vagos and business women dressed on $1,000 suits, looking to get picked up by bikers.

As far as officer safety was concerned, I felt A LOT safer with the bikers than with the gun show crowd.
                              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3162 users online. 223 members and 2939 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X