300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Sight Alignment

What is the proper sight alignment. Do you aim so you see the target just above the front sight, or do you aim so the front sight is just slightly covering what you want to shoot?
    Image 1

Image 2

Which image is proper?
    Romans 13:4 "For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil."

Basically is the bullet going to go to where the red hole is or where the blue hole is?
    Romans 13:4 "For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil."

Comment

It depends...

Many 1911 pistols hit on the red dot; 6 o'clock. Many target pistols are this way, specifically so you can see what you are shooting at.

Most modern combat pistols (ie Glock, SIG, & Beretta) shoot the blue dot; driving the dots. Simply put the dot on what you want to hit, simple and fast.

Comment

+1. My Glocks go with the blue. AK47s too.

Comment

Aim how you want too. I believe it is user preference.

I use the technique described in picture #1.

In a tactical or combat scenario, the distance between the two shots will be minimal. Certainly not enough to change the intended result: Hit the bad guy.

For target shooting, most shooters will have adjustable sights. These can be dialed in to any sight picture. If you want the round to hit 6 inches above the front sight blade, you can adjust the sights to do so...

The important thing is to pick one and stick with it, no matter what you're shooting. Consistancy is the key.
          Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
          --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

Technically, #1 is "proper" sight alignment. Different pistol shoot different Point of Impact (POI) at different ranges. You have to figure out where your pistol impacts at when your sights are in perfect alignment as the shot breaks to figure your POI and then adjust either your aim or your sights accordingly.
            NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

I generally bisect the target with the top edge of the front sight.

Different guns will impact at different heights at different ranges.

Breathe, Aim, Stop, Squeeze, Follow through, Repeat as necessary.

Don't over think it. If you want to know where YOUR pistol shoots, get to the range and shoot some 50 yard groups.
              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
              8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Ah. Sight alignment and sight picture are two distinctly different things. Now that I clicked on your photos and saw them full size, I think you meant to ask about sight alignment. Sorry I didn't catch that sooner.

Bullseye shooting, I do as Blackdog and cut the x ring in half with my front sight.
                NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4331 users online. 185 members and 4146 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                X