Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Liking What I Read About the 6.5 Grendel...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liking What I Read About the 6.5 Grendel...

I'm not considering the 6.5 Grendel as my first rifle, but it sure looks good from what I read and see on the Internet.

Anyone ever shoot one?

Would you consider one as a patrol rifle?

What kind of barrel length and twist and what weight of bullet would you use in a patrol rifle?

They featured the Grendel on future weapons a few episodes ago and it appeared to perform really well.
    Conduct every traffic stop extending the olive branch of peace; while having a tactical plan to kill everyone inside the vehicle. - Gordon Graham

Comment

You had better consider if it is an authorized round, and if so you need to consider availability and cost of quality ammo.

You also might want to read up over at http://www.65grendel.com
      The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

If you don't already have a press and materials for reloading, I would rethink that purchase from a financial perspective.

Comment

While 6.5 isn't as cheap as 5.56, you can buy 6.5 at relatively good prices.

Midway has Wolf Gold (brass cased) 6.5 Grendel for $13/box, which is cheaper than you can find comparable .308win (however, steel cased .308win is $9.)

Midway

J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Unfortunately Midway is about the only place stocking 6.5 when they have it in, and it tends to only be Wolf. You will need to order and can't find it on most shelves locally.

If you can find quality ammo other than Wolf, expect to pay at least twice that price.
            The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

Originally posted by TXDSX View Post
              They featured the Grendel on future weapons a few episodes ago and it appeared to perform really well.
              I saw it on Youtube.

Originally posted by Surf View Post
              You had better consider if it is an authorized round, and if so you need to consider availability and cost of quality ammo.

You also might want to read up over at http://www.65grendel.com
              It is authorized, and I have been all over that site as well as a few others.

Originally posted by Drum Roast View Post
              If you don't already have a press and materials for reloading, I would rethink that purchase from a financial perspective.
              I have access to a reloader, who will do it for me for free and will do it whenever I want with, like, one day turn around time.

Originally posted by jwise View Post
              While 6.5 isn't as cheap as 5.56, you can buy 6.5 at relatively good prices.

Midway has Wolf Gold (brass cased) 6.5 Grendel for $13/box, which is cheaper than you can find comparable .308win (however, steel cased .308win is $9.)
              I've seen that and that price is quite acceptable.

Originally posted by Surf View Post
              Unfortunately Midway is about the only place stocking 6.5 when they have it in, and it tends to only be Wolf. You will need to order and can't find it on most shelves locally.

If you can find quality ammo other than Wolf, expect to pay at least twice that price.
              Wolf is the only manufacturer of 6.5G, other than AA.

SO. I'm almost wishing I had just bit the bullet and went with an AA 6.5 Grendel.

The only thing bad I've read is that one guy thought the larger bore might be more suseptable to stove pipe jams. It was just a theory from a poster on the Internet.

Comment

If you end up on the grendel website, do not expect to find anything objective. They think it is the holy grail of all cartridges. If I were to get a 6.5 AR, it would be a .260 remington. I would seriously consider the 6.8 as a better option for a patrol rifle there is a bit more support out there for it (not much more).
                Yes, the 6.5 fires a much higher b.c. bullet and will retain velocity longer, but realistic engagement ranges are what we are talking about. The 6.8 hits very hard, but is not perfect either, too much penetration is an issue (as it is with the 6.5).
                If you are considering shots beyond 500 yards, by all means, the 6.5 is superior.

I had heard that there are sometime reliability issues due to the long bullet of the 6.5, but by no means am I positive about that.

Comment

There certainly is a lot more support for the 6.8 SPC. It does seem to "hit as hard" as the 6.5 at distances I'll be using it at.

Like I said, I'm not getting a 6.5 Grendel as my first patrol rifle. That's the sole reason right there. I went with a Colt LE6920 as my rifle.

I'll probably always grab my Vang Comp Rem. 870 when I need more than my G22 anyway.

It's just that the 6.5G really looks impressive. Like fdkay says, it's such a new round that it's hard to find objective info...

Comment

Originally posted by Sharpe103 View Post
                    Wolf is the only manufacturer of 6.5G, other than AA.

SO. I'm almost wishing I had just bit the bullet and went with an AA 6.5 Grendel.
                    Exactly. How much AA can you find out there? Not much, so your stuck with Wolf. If that is acceptable for you than happy days. If you can get re-loads at a drop of a hat and your dept doesn't care that you use re-loads, than happy days again.

Since it is fairly new, a couple of us mentioned what we see as the biggest draw back to the Grendel, plus long term availability. If you have those bases covered than have at it.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Comment

It does look interesting and I will probably end up with a 6.5 upper at some point, HOWEVER I most definitely would NOT consider it as a patrol rifle.

There is not enough support out there and good defensive ammo would need to be hand loaded. Hand loaded ammo is generally considered bad ju-ju on legal grounds in the aftermath of an OIS.

I would much rather go with a 5.56mm or 6.8SPC.

As fdkay mentioned, the engagement distances are not going to be such that you can take advantage of the high BC round.

My main interest in the 6.5 would be for competitions where long shots are required, but a lightweight platform is also desireable.
                      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                      8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

"at the drop of a hat"

just wondering, does that freebie include cost of materials? still, a great deal either way. i'm jealous.

By the way: I meant to imply reloads for practice. +1 on availability of duty ammo.
                        Last edited by Drum Roast; 11-09-2008, 01:24 PM. Reason: afterthought

Comment

A 6.5 would be an excellent choice for an F-class AR-15.
                          It has actually been around a bit longer than the 6.8, I remember seeing the first videos for it about 4 years ago.
                          It is really nothing more than the 6.5 PPC.

Comment

Originally posted by Drum Roast View Post
                            just wondering, does that freebie include cost of materials?
                            Hell no! I wish. My good friend and gun enthusiast, a former farmer who got in an accident and is now in a wheel chair and his later 50's, loves hand loading ammo. It's one of like four things he always talks about (hunt'n, shoot'n, race'n, hand load'n). He's always wanting me to come out and try some of this or that. He's a great guy. Gave me 100 .40 S&W just the other day out of the blue.

I was thinking that the 6.5G would give us something in common. I would take the materials to him, then come back when he gets them done, or even help or do it myself (which I've never done or even watched). I'd offer to pay, and he'd hear none of it. He once built me a TH 350 and would NOT let me pay him for it.

I'll consider it again in a few years if support for the platform increases to that of the 6.8 or greater.
                            Last edited by Sharpe103; 11-12-2008, 06:31 PM.

Comment

My Chief has a part time job and its making custom cut rifle barrels and because of that we now have a .50 beowolf for patrol and he himself has a .50 beowolf and 6.5 grendel. The company he works for works closly for AA and the word is that they will be making all the cut barrels for them soon. Though I'm not much of a gun guy I can say the 6.5 is sweet.

http://www.saternmachining.com/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3449 users online. 195 members and 3254 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X