Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IDPA or IPSC...anyone compete? I'm looking to join.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDPA or IPSC...anyone compete? I'm looking to join.

I'm looking for a new hobby and pistol competitions came to mind. I got weekends off and usually don't do much with them and was thinking of joining one. I'm leaning more towards IDPA b/c it seems to be more practical, real-world stuff and I can use my duty gear and duty weapon...just as it would be on the road.

I'm not looking to buy and create race guns or win speed championships. That why the IDPA appeals a little more to me. Any and all insight is greatly appreciated.
    Perseverate In Pugna

I also want to do that starting after the first of the year. IDPA is the closest. USPSA is on the other side of the valley.

The USPSA is the American arm of the IPSC. Memebership in the USPSA gives you membership in the IPSC. They have a "Production" gun division as well as revolver and single stack.

http://www.uspsa.org/

I don't think the IDPA does any shotgun or rifle work. Only pistols.
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

I shoot IDPA and I really enjoy it. The folks who shoot with us are really cool and everyone is always helping one another. I really have a good time.
      Common sense its not a common virtue...

sigpic

"The AR-15, Legos for grown ups."-Jwise

"OCD with firearms can ensure your continued use of oxygen. "- Blackdog F4i

1042 Trooper is my hero!!!

Comment

^ so you seem to enjoy it huh? do they do any rifle work or is it only pistol? is it really scenario based events? i'm hoping to join by next month.

anyone else?
        Last edited by Narco; 10-26-2008, 09:13 PM.
        Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Pistol only. Pretty much all of the scenarios are reality based. From laying in bed and a break in, being mugged at an ATM, attacked while taking the trash out, to being attacked while camping out. It's a lot of fun. Their are no case prizes, it is just for fun. That takes a lot of stress off.
          Common sense its not a common virtue...

sigpic

"The AR-15, Legos for grown ups."-Jwise

"OCD with firearms can ensure your continued use of oxygen. "- Blackdog F4i

1042 Trooper is my hero!!!

Comment

You should try IDPA and IPSC, you will be suprised but most clubs offer both (IDPA one weekend IPSC the other). Don't worry about equipment races, that is the last thing to worry about. I promise that there will be plenty of people there that will beat you no matter what type of gun, holster, and ammo you use.

Comment

USPSA/IPSC has numerous classifications for standard firearms.
              You don't have to have a race gun to shoot it. You don't use concealment (as in CCW, not hiding behind the bush) and pretty much anything SAFE goes.

IDPA is much more restrictive, they tend to take themselves a little too seriously (IDPA the organization, not individual shooters).
              You must use concealment for MOST courses of fire, you must utilize any available cover, no reloads in the open, no reloads on the move etc...
              So tactically it does make more sense. You can use your duty rig, if you use your duty rig, concealment is not required. Or, you can use your off duty piece.
              They claim to be revolver neutral, this is VERY debatable.
              When I was working security, I carried a 7 shot 357 magnum, which, by the way, I would still carry on duty if I could. By IDPA rules, I could only load 6 rounds, otherwise I had a "competitive" advantage and they insist that no one would actually carry a 7 shot revolver.
              They then changed the rules so that anyone using moon-clips had to amke major, but if you were shooting a .40 semi-auto, you only have to make minor.

Both are GAMES.
              Both will improve your shooting skills, your draw and presentation.
              IDPA does stress the proper things and from a tactical stand point will reinforce in your mind the things that will help to keep you alive.

Comment

The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Did some PPC and IDPA years back. With a 2 and 4 year old, building my own home and working full time, I just don't have the time to do it competitively anymore on weekends.

I still order IDPA targets at work and set up different IDPA types of stages of fire and throw in a competitive aspect to training once in awhile. Competition now and again is good for camaraderie and is a fun time for everyone.

Here is our last 3 gun set up. As mentioned, IDPA targets with traditional Vickers IDPA scoring, with procedural penalties also. 2 rounds per target, except shotgun which is 1 round of slug per target.

This is the M4 rifle stage. Shooting box behind barricade. First hostage target 25m. 2 targets at the berm 50m. Hostage target does not allow for rear targets to both be shot from same side. Following the rope line, you come to a gap that exposes another target on the left just under the tree.

Dual port windows for pistol, body armor and hostage targets included.

Shotgun stage 25m, must load and shoot 5 targets in line but height staggered. Slugs.

Darn good times, especially when you do a competition within a group like ours. A lot of good natured ribbing going on.

I would love to take my competition pistol out of the safe someday and get back into it.
                  Last edited by Surf; 10-26-2008, 07:34 PM.
                  The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by Ant1 View Post
                    You should try IDPA and IPSC, you will be suprised but most clubs offer both (IDPA one weekend IPSC the other). Don't worry about equipment races, that is the last thing to worry about. I promise that there will be plenty of people there that will beat you no matter what type of gun, holster, and ammo you use.
                    Where in IL do you shoot? I was looking at a club south of Freeport, just haven't made it over there yet.
                    Shut up and color.

Comment

this really sounds fun to me. i want something where i can use my duty gun and duty rig...to make it as realistic as possible. i'd also like to do the ccw courses to represent any off duty situations i run across. it looks like IDPA is the one i'll probably go with.

anyone here from GA that shoots IDPA?
                      Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

I compete at a place in IL called PASA Park. It is USPSA (I am not a member but they let me compete anyway). No prizes, just fun. I use a factory M1911A1 from Springfield in the Single Stack Major class and do fine, never last on the list. It is losely situation based and you have torso targets, barricades, civilians/hostages, buildings, hallways, steel targets, and moving silouettes. Usually burn through 150 rounds of ammo. Safety is rule #1, fun is rule #2. I usually see people with duty rigs and duty weapons competing, and a couple wheel guns.

http://www.pasapark.com/

By the way, there are guys there who can finish a stage in 13 seconds that takes most of us 30 seconds. They go out there biweekly to practice.
                        Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

Comment

I shoot both. Take/learn what you can from both of them, both have silly rules and aspects. My preference is IPSC.

IDPA has not realized that the AW ban is over, 10rnd load limit on magazines. Can't shoot a ported gun, can't customize your gun highly for accuracy, an accurate gun is not acceptable for self defense. Since a high percentage of gun fights happen at close distance, they seldom set up long shots and don't practice tight shots. Do little amounts of forward movement. They do nothing with rifle or shotgun. The whole failure to do right penalty where they subjectivly decided your tactics were improper and penalize your score for it. It is fun and something can be learned from it.

IPSC, longer shots, more shots, no use of cover so you can expect to engage 20 targets while standing still out in the open, You will need to be able to switch from close fast shots at point blank to a head shot at 25yds two steps later. Lots of movement on range, rifle and shotgun matches often will have 75 yd of running involved. Too many classifications of firearms, but there will be a class where just your gun will fit so everyone can be a winner. It is fun and you can learn and take away usefull stuff from it.

Comment

David,

Does IPSC allow a duty gun/duty belt set up to be used in any of their classes? Do they do any rifle/shotgun work?
                            Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

I have shot both, and I prefer IDPA. Why? Because even though I KNOW I'm only competing against myself (or at least only those in my class), it's annoying to watch all the "gamers" shooting race guns that would never be used for "real."

The last club I was affiliated with for IDPA shot rifle courses from time to time. No shotguns, but that was preferable to me (I don't like those things...)
                              J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10728 users online. 525 members and 10203 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X