300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about my first gun

I am going to purchase a handgun within the next week.

MY primary reason for buying is plinking. My question is, what type of firearm should I choose?

Particularly I'd like suggestions on caliber and brand.

Should I consider home protection as well? I currently do now own any gun.

Oh yeah, my budget will be around $500
    Ignorance can be remedied, stupidity cannot.

You'd be hard pressed to go wrong with a Ruger MkII. For UNDER $300, you could buy a hail of a lot of .22LR ammo with the leftover $$$!
    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
    -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

Ditto what shooter said. I have a used one I got for 200 bucks and I consider it one of my favorite guns. It's fun, cheap, and reliable.

Comment

Definitely go with a low caliber if all you're going to do is plinking. No sense spending all the money for 9mm or .45 to destroy a tin can. As far as brand, stick with one of the major manufacturers like Taurus, Ruger, S&W etc etc.

Comment

Glock 17 or 19, 9mm. (mm is cheaper compared to the rest adn you can get an Advantage Arms conversion kit for .22 and have some great fun.
          Please take a moment to visit http://www.crpe.net home of the first police explorer post in the country.

Comment

Thank you all for the info and suggestions.

Thanks to the internet, I just read a bunch of reviews on the MkII and the Glock. Looks like the Glock is generally looked upon as a very high quality pistol, which makes me want to buy it.

Is $499 a decent price for a Glock 17?

I'll have to save for that 22 conversion kit if I ultimately decide to get the Glock.
            Ignorance can be remedied, stupidity cannot.

Comment

Around here it would be, unless you're le.

Academy has blazer 9mm for 3.99 a box, and they have .22 for 8 dollars per 500 rounds.

Comment

Not to confuse you, but another nice plinking gun is a Marlin model 39AS. It is a lever action .22 rifle that feeds all .22 ammo except magnums. It holds 19 long rifles, 21 longs, and 26 shorts.

What I like, if noise is a concern, when using .22 short cb caps, it makes very little noise. And it's very accurate as well.

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: MikeTx ]

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8086 users online. 322 members and 7764 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                X