300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NJSP's new handguns recalled

Weapon at issue is the S&W 99.(Funky polymer Glock wannabe)This is sad.I'm no math wiz but I believe 2.1 million divided by 2600 comes to over $800 per piece! Damn things should run flawlessly for that kind of money.

Malfunctions force State Police to recall newly issued weapons
    The Associated Press
    3/15/01 4:02 AM

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) -- The state police have recalled the new pistols they recently began issuing to troopers after the weapons started jamming and malfunctioning during training exercises.

State Police Superintendent Carson Dunbar and acting Gov. Donald T. DiFrancesco announced the recall of the 9 mm Smith & Wessons on Wednesday. The state is spending $2.1 million for 2,600 guns.

State Police officials also said they have filed a formal complaint with the state Treasury Department over the contract with the Massachusetts-based gun manufacturer.

Smith & Wesson technicians, working with state police gun experts, have been unable to determine whether the problem is related to the firearm itself or the way it is fired by the troopers.

The new weapons had been issued to about 500 detectives and officers on road patrols. They will go back to using their old 9 mm Heckler & Koch guns until the problem is resolved, State Police spokesman John Hagerty said Wednesday.

Troopers noticed the problem during training sessions with the new weapon in early February. They fired each weapon more than 300 times at various distances and also practiced loading and reloading.

"There were enough malfunctions during the transition that it raised serious concerns among the union members," Chris Burgos, first vice president of the State Police Fraternal Association, told The Star-Ledger of Newark for Thursday's editions.

I doubt they are actually paying $800 per gun.

Most likely that includes the cost of transition, including new holsters, new mag pouches if needed and ammo for re-qual.

------------------
    Niteshift-
    Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Although it is a .40 rather than the 9mm, I have one of these, and it works flawlessly for me. I have enough faith in it to carry it as an alternate to my SIG. Price NIB with Trijicons was $575.

Must be a technique issue - NJSP limpwrist style.
      Dave Kiefner
      [i]Die Wahrheit ist eine Perle. Werfen sie nicht vor die S

Comment

I wonder what they are using for ammo. Years ago when I first got my 659 a buddy gave me some ammo that turned out to be total crap. It jammed continually. It was manufactured in Hong Kong and I was only using it for practice.

I never had any problem with quality ammunition with this gun and carried it for several years.

------------------
        Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if you can't shoot them?
        6P1 (retired)
        6P1 (retired)

Comment

Originally posted by dkiefner:
          Although it is a .40 rather than the 9mm, I have one of these, and it works flawlessly for me. I have enough faith in it to carry it as an alternate to my SIG. Price NIB with Trijicons was $575.

Must be a technique issue - NJSP limpwrist style.
          The gun in fact is a 9MM and not a .40 caliber, and I highly doubt it is the NJSP "limpwrist" style. S&W produced a wanna be Glock and screwed something up.

Comment

Mike, Dave was saying his is a .40, not the 9mm that is in question.

------------------
            Niteshift-
            Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Thanx Niteshift - that was indeed my point.

Mike, where ya been buddy? If by some chance you're NJSP, then I apologize for some humor at your expense.

It is in fact, not, a Glock wannabe. The frame is polymer, the upper assembly is steel, and it works on a different principle than the Glock.
              Dave Kiefner

Comment

Howdy,

I have a Walther P99 9mm that is the "real" version of the SW99 POS. I will grant that the SW99 is a far leap ahead of the Sigma or Stigma as I like to call it, but it still feels like junk to me.

My Walther P99 works flawlessly and is very well made. We have had a few SW99s come through the shop where I work part time, and the quality is far below that of the P99.

I guess NJSP bought the S&W pistols because it was PC to do so, but they would have been much better served by keeping their P7M8s, or if a switch was necessary getting HK USP 9 Compacts or Glock 19s. Or for that matter the Walther P99. The SW99 is just junk in my experience.

------------------
                -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix
                -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

Comment

Tell the NJSP to contact the VASP. Sig gave them a deal on the .357 at $120 or so per weapon. Might be cheaper than refitting if they can get a similar deal, plus a better gun. It was on the news here when the VASP transitioned from the SW 10mm (POS).

------------------
                  In God we trust. All others we run through NCIC.
                  "But if it be a sin to covet honor, I am the most offending soul alive." from Henry V, by Wm. Shakespeare

Comment

Originally posted by dkiefner:
                    [
                    It is in fact, not, a Glock wannabe. The frame is polymer, the upper assembly is steel, and it works on a different principle than the Glock.[/B]
                    OK, that was my Glock bias showing
                    I sort of thought that $$ would include something else.
                    I love S&W revolvers but could never warm up to thier autos (had a M39).
                    I just found the article and thought it was interesting so I posted it.Nothing more dangerous than a bored gun nut with no ammo money and free time to spend on the computer.

Comment

Hey Landric:

Welcome to Officer.com!

Guess to whom you will send your real Walther if it needs service.

Did you know that Walther manufactures the frame for that POS?

Sounds to me like a case of S&W Sellout Heartburn.
                      Dave Kiefner

Comment

I've always been partial to Colt revolvers, Mack. But I just bought a very nice stainless Mod 60 for my wife, and I have kinda taken a shine to it.

Hmmm....may need a pair.......
                        Dave Kiefner

Comment

may need a pair.......

I've heard that said about you before.

------------------
                          Niteshift-
                          Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3853 users online. 265 members and 3588 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X