300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .357 SIG handgun questions

#1 What are you issued or what do you own?

#2 How many rounds do you have through it?

#3 How does it hold up in terms of part breakage or wear compared to your other weapons?

#4 What are you shooting in it, and are you as fast with this round as you are with other service rounds?

#5 How has it performed for you or your department in field use? (Include which load used)

#6 Is the cost of shooting .357 SIG a factor in your training (scores, round count per class, rounds per year downrange...) either private or taxpayer paid?

#7 Is it more difficult for "non-gun people" in your agency to qualify with .357 SIG than it is for them to qualify with other service rounds? (Additionally, is it harder to train people with this round than with others?)

#8 If given the choice, would you carry .357 SIG/If given the choice would you carry something else?

Discuss.

#1 What are you issued or what do you own?
    I'm issued a SIG P229R DAK. I'm getting ready to own afull size and compact S&W M&P in .357SIG. I have a full size and compact for T&E that I have logged 2500 rounds through both without a malfunction.

#2 How many rounds do you have through it?
    Well over 9000 rounds through the SIG and 2500 through a M&P.

#3 How does it hold up in terms of part breakage or wear compared to your other weapons?Since Jan. 2006 we have issued over 1800 P229's. We have not had ANY mechanical problems

#4 What are you shooting in it, and are you as fast with this round as you are with other service rounds? We shoot SPEER 124 grain TMJ for practice and qualification. We carry SPEER 124 grain Gold Dot GDHP for duty. Yes I'm just as fast. I'm not a recoil sensitive person.

#5 How has it performed for you or your department in field use? (Include which load used)We have carried this caliber since 2000. We have shot nine people. Eight have died including three just this year. One will never walk again. The SBI agents that investigate our shootings tell us that it is a very wicked round on the human body. The last shooting the assailant was shot through the windshield three times and through the passenger glass and door. It worked as expected.

#6 Is the cost of shooting .357 SIG a factor in your training (scores, round count per class, rounds per year downrange...) either private or taxpayer paid? No. We use SPEER TMJ Ball for practice and quals. It makes a big difference in the ammo budget.

#7 Is it more difficult for "non-gun people" in your agency to qualify with .357 SIG than it is for them to qualify with other service rounds? (Additionally, is it harder to train people with this round than with others?)
    No. It is all how you train them. The last basic school average for forty cadets was 92%. The school before that was a 96%. Only one cadet had prior LE expereince. Some of the top shooters of the class had never fired a weapon prior to class.

#8 If given the choice, would you carry .357 SIG/If given the choice would you carry something else? For the evironment that our troopers work in, around cars, and after seeing the results of our shootings, no I would not want them to carry any other caliber. The pistol is debatable.

Discuss.

Contact me off line is you need anything else.
    Last edited by GLOCKMASTER; 09-21-2008, 11:43 AM.
    "Life's goal should not be to show up at your final resting spot in a well rested, well preserved body ready to pass on.... But rather sliding in side ways late for your own passing, tired, beaten down and yelling holy $hit what a ride!!!!!"

Comment

Hey Glockmaster,
      Did you say you have a S&W M&P for T&E??? Interesting... I know my brother doesn't really care for the Sig.
      Common sense its not a common virtue...

sigpic

"The AR-15, Legos for grown ups."-Jwise

"OCD with firearms can ensure your continued use of oxygen. "- Blackdog F4i

1042 Trooper is my hero!!!

Comment

Originally posted by farrellsm77 View Post
        Hey Glockmaster,
        Did you say you have a S&W M&P for T&E??? Interesting... I know my brother doesn't really care for the Sig.

FWIW...you cannot make everyone happy.

We have issued over 1800 SIG P229's and have not had the first mechanical problem. So don't get excited as we are not switching pistols anytime soon. They were given to me by a company rep, ask to shoot them and provide feedback. Nothing more.
        Last edited by GLOCKMASTER; 09-21-2008, 04:21 PM.
        "Life's goal should not be to show up at your final resting spot in a well rested, well preserved body ready to pass on.... But rather sliding in side ways late for your own passing, tired, beaten down and yelling holy $hit what a ride!!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by GLOCKMASTER View Post
          FWIW...you cannot make everyone happy.

We have issued over 1800 SIG P229's and have not had the first mechanical problem. So don't get excited as we are not switching pistols anytime soon. They were given to me by a company rep, ask to shoot them and provide feedback. Nothing more.
          Ah. No biggie. I was just curious, I knew you guys haven't had the Sigs that long. As far as can't please everyone... I know, I carried A M9 in the service. I hated it, no one listened to me.
          Common sense its not a common virtue...

sigpic

"The AR-15, Legos for grown ups."-Jwise

"OCD with firearms can ensure your continued use of oxygen. "- Blackdog F4i

1042 Trooper is my hero!!!

Comment

Originally posted by farrellsm77 View Post
            Ah. No biggie. I was just curious, I knew you guys haven't had the Sigs that long. As far as can't please everyone... I know, I carried A M9 in the service. I hated it, no one listened to me.
            If it makes you feel any better, I was in the Corps when the switch to the M9 was being made. I dd not like it either.

Comment

I had a HK USPc 357sig. Great gun, zero malfunctions, very accurate. I put a couple of thousand rds thru it. I was as fast and accurate with it as any other gun/caliber combo. I carried speer 124gr gdhp.

Ammo cost was definitely a factor for me and the town. I ended up switching to 9mm for all my work weapons - duty, offduty, BUG, and carbine.

I never shot anyone but it was hell on porcupines, killed 5 or 6 with it, all 1 shot stops.

Comment

WC145-
                I ended up switching to 9mm for all my work weapons - duty, offduty, BUG, and carbine.
                WC,
                What pistol caliber carbine do you use?

Fyr
                Forti Fors Bona

Comment

Originally posted by fyrdog View Post
                  WC,
                  What pistol caliber carbine do you use?

Fyr
                  I have a Kel-tec SUB-2000 in 9mm, uses Beretta mags. I bought it as an easy to reach in-between gun to fill the range and access gap between my pistol and my AR-15. It folds in half so it fits in my bag and only weighs a few pounds. It rides in the passenger seat while the AR is in the back in a case. It is reliable and accurate, I can put a mag into a 6" pie plate at 50yds.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6750 users online. 350 members and 6400 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X