300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mossberg 590 Question

I have a parkerized, 20 inch, Mossberg 590 shotgun with heat shield, and I like it a lot. It's rugged and reliable. However, even though I'm tall and have long arms, I think it's a bit too long for most practical purposes. Frankly, it's hard to get in and out of a vehicle easily. I'm looking for a shortened rear stock. I don't think I want a collapsible version like those found on AR-15s (including mine) which leaves me looking for something else. I've thought about (and looked at) synthetic youth stocks which would take a few inches off the gun, but I've also looked into getting the "tactical" rear stock with vertical pistol grip running off of it. I'm looking at SpeedFeed stocks right now, and I think they have a youth version of that although I don't want a model that holds extra shells.

So...if you thought your Mossberg was a little too long in the caboose how would you shorten it?

You're looking in the right direction. A youth stock should take a couple or three inches off the overall length. Even tactical stocks that are designed to be used with body armor only take an inch. You'll have to look at dimensions from the receiver to the heel (if you can find them on the websites).

Edit: I should have posted that the measurement is called "length of pull". Sorry.
    Last edited by Sgt. Slaughter; 09-21-2008, 02:55 PM.
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

I believe Hogue makes a youth stock for the 500/590 series. I have one on my 870 and it's good to go.
      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
      8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

changing stock

I would reconsider a telescoping stock. I have a 590 also and experienced the same problem. I'm 6'1" and always felt like I had to reach to chamber the gun in comparison to my 870. I replaced the stock with a Knoxx Specops telescoping stock. My shotty feels alot better now. I like it so much i plan on changing out my 870 too.

Comment

My only issue with pistol grip type of stocks on the Mossy's is the ability to easily manipulate the safety.

I also like a shorter stock on my work shotguns.
          The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by Surf View Post
            My only issue with pistol grip type of stocks on the Mossy's is the ability to easily manipulate the safety.

I also like a shorter stock on my work shotguns.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. Surf, I never even considered the safety issue. It probably would be hard to thumb the safety with a pistol grip, and I probably wouldn't have realized that until about the time I installed it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3214 users online. 203 members and 3011 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X