300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a New Kimber CDP Pro II

Is their any thing I need to do or should do before I start shooting it and what kind of ammo should I use?
    Last edited by Sir_38; 09-20-2008, 03:37 PM.

Break it in with at least a couple hundred rounds of ball ammo to make sure you don't have any snags. For defensive ammo, my personal choice is ammo that uses the all-copper Barnes XPB bullet. In .45 caliber this is available in Corbon DPX (+P) and Taurus Hex (standard pressure) ammo. I like the look of the ballistics tests I've seen and it has proven to have very reliable expansion.

Make sure you keep it clean and well-lubed, and use a good slide grease.
    Last edited by velobard; 09-20-2008, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Run a good deal of duty ammo through it and make sure it's 100% before carrying it. Very frequently production 1911's need some "tweaking" before they are 100% reliable.
      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
      8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Buy a butt load of ammo and clean it often. That is all I do for a new gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_38 View Post
          Is their any thing I need to do or should do before I start shooting it and what kind of ammo should I use?
          Clean it, lube it and use .45 ammo.

Really - Good choice on that weapon. I like Kimbers and have never had any issues with mine. I'm assuming this will be a personal protection weapon.

Shoot at least 500 rounds through it and take it to a gunsmith to have it given the once-over.

Carry good ammo. I prefer bonded ammo by Winchester or Federal. Your preference. Shoot a couple boxes through to make sure there are no issues with the magazines or the pistol.

Oh. Speaking of magazine. ASAP - get some Wilson-Combat mags for that puppy. ENJOY!
          NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

CRAP! I almost forgot!

Get a good holster and do LOTS of drawing and shooting. If you've never carried/shot a 1911 before, working that safety will be a new thing that you must develop the muscle memory for.

Nothing like drawin' down on someone and havin' the safety on....
            NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Good luck with the Kimber.

Customer service at that company is "lacking"...

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell_in_CT View Post
                Good luck with the Kimber.

Customer service at that company is "lacking"...
                Is that really friggin' helpful to the guy after he already spent money on the pistol? For cryin' out loud....

Edited to add: Most people are prone to share only the bad experiences with everyone else, not normally the good ones. Take each customer service warning with a grain of salt, please.

And, for the record, I've never had a problem with mine, so I've never had to send it back and deal with any Customer Service issues.
                Last edited by Sgt. Slaughter; 09-20-2008, 08:18 PM.
                NRA Life Member

Comment

[QUOTE=Sgt. Slaughter;1418260]Is that really friggin' helpful to the guy after he already spent money on the pistol? For cryin' out loud....

Thats funny! I just bought a kimber too, and then I started reading about peoples bad experiances with customer service. Oh well, If somethings wrong with mine, they'll be hearing from me whether they like it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
                    Is that really friggin' helpful to the guy after he already spent money on the pistol? For cryin' out loud....
                    Well...

Yes. It is helpful to say to him.

He needs to know the good and the bad.

He may have a good one, and in that case he will never need to use Kimber to do work on the gun...

Then again, if he ever needs work on the gun, find a smith and pay for it.

Comment

Well, then for comparison

Would we find ANY company where everyone was 100% satisfied with a Customer Service issue? Especially, when we refer to firearms? I'm sure each manufacturer has had issues at some point.

Either way, Sir_38, hope you enjoy that pistol. Just make sure it doesn't sit in your house and collect dust!
                      NRA Life Member

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
                        Would we find ANY company where everyone was 100% satisfied with a Customer Service issue? Especially, when we refer to firearms? I'm sure each manufacturer has had issues at some point.
                        Sending me my gun back with parts missing is on a whole new level of "issues" in my book.

It's a long story, but suffice to say Kimber & I aren't on speaking terms after the letter I sent them describing my problems with them.

Comment

THAT is understandable. Not knowing your situation, I'm guessing it was a mistake on their part(and a terrible one at that) - hopefully not intentional.

Again, to prove my point, it was a bad experience that you had and feel compelled to share. However, I've seen several instances where people tout GREAT customer service by Kimber.

And I must be one of those since I've NOT had the occasion to send my pistol back.
                          NRA Life Member

Comment

When they test fired the weapon after repair before sending it out, the recoil assembly fell apart and fell out of the gun.

The weapon was held together by the pin under the barrel, so nobody noticed.

I get the gun back and the first thing I do is field strip it...and all I have are springs, not the recoil spring assembly.

I call kimber and they say "Oh, yeah. Well. It happens. We will get a new part out to you in the mail...". The tone was very bland, like "Yeah, Yeah...whatever...just deal with it"

I wait 2 weeks for a part they should have had an intern drive from Yonkers NY to Fairfield County CT (It's a 90 minute drive at most).

I never fired the gun after I got it back. I sold it for a loss to get rid of it.

I sent them another letter telling them how I felt and 2 months later someone give me a call and now wants to make it right. I told them "Too late. I dumped the gun and bought something that works"

He seemed shocked I sold the weapon and then said "Well, you sold the gun so I guess we can't help you..."

No shi+, bub.

Kimber couldn't give me a gun I'd keep. With customer support like that, who knows what quality control they have.

Comment

Yup, that's unfortunate.

I just Googled "Kimber customer service". The first thing I got was this story about a Kimber CDP - coincidentally the same weapon the original poster was asking about:

"While my first impressions on the gun were positive, with the handling and accuracy of the CDP being high points, reliability was a low point - to say the least. I ended up taking the pistol to a well respected gunsmith for a tune-up and to have him look at an issue which appeared to be a badly fitted safety. He recommended sending it back to the factory for the repairs, since such problems are very rare in Kimber pistols, especially their higher end "flagship models" like the CDP and Eclipse. I called Kimber customer service about the problem and they said "fine, send it back and we will take a look at it". Now among experienced shooters and gun collectors, that usually translates to "send your gun away to us and we will get around to looking at the problem you are experiencing which is probably your own fault, on our own time when it is convenient for us because we are busy dealing with regular production that makes us money, not some chump with an attitude who we already got the money from". That means usually means anything from two weeks (average Ruger repair) to Four months (small shops like Special Weapons). I sent the gun out by Fedex on a Friday and figured I should give them a week before I even check up on it so I would not seem rude to be pestering them. I checked the tracking number on the package online and the Fedex site showed the package delivered on Monday morning. "OK, well enough", I thought, maybe they can get to it this week. Tuesday afternoon, an unexpected box arrived from UPS. Not recognizing the name of the sender, I opened it up and to my surprise, it was my CDP, apparently repaired and sent back in a matter of hours, not days, and that done on the far opposite end of the country. I can't even get a mirror replaced on my motorcycle that fast. As it was, the gun was fixed up and tuned up good to go. For that kind of customer service, it is worth noting that I have to now consider Kimber as holding the world record for fast service on their product. That is no light feat at all considering the timeframes normally accompanying high end and custom tuned guns."

This is in NO WAY meant to diminish what you experienced with Kimber. Just saying that because you personally had a bad experience doesn't hold true for everyone else. "Don't let one bad apple" and whatnot.....
                              NRA Life Member

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4693 users online. 274 members and 4419 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X