300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bug Ammo? couple of questions....

It's that time of year to replace my ammo that I use in my bug (S&W 38spl +P, model 442). The department only issues ammo for service weapon (9mm, 40 S&W, or 45 ACP). I do have to get permission for the ammo I use in the bug, so no Nuclear Tip Stuff

1) Has anyone had good/bad reports on any of the light weight (110 grn), low recoil rounds, such as the Federal Hydrashock low recoils?

2) Do you have a recommendation?

Thanks

Originally posted by scarney View Post

1) Has anyone had good/bad reports on any of the light weight (110 grn), low recoil rounds, such as the Federal Hydrashock low recoils?

2) Do you have a recommendation?

1) 110 gr Federal low recoil does not pass IWBA or FBI balistics tests. It's velocity & energy numbers are predicated on a 4 inch BBL, not a 1 7/8 inch you carry.

2) 135 gr +P Gold Dot is designed to pass IWBA & FBI tests after being shot from a 1 7/8 inch tube. It offers similar penetration & expansion to a 124 gr gold dot 9mm fired from a glock 19.

The other load is 110 gr DPX with is supposed to be just as good.

When I carry a .38 I use the Gold Dot, but would be just as happy with the DPX if it was less costly.

Comment

Why not use whatever ammo line your department issues? I'm sure that whatever it is (gold dot, ranger, etc.) they have a .38spl +p load that would be appropriate.

That being said, I agree with Mitchell on the 135gr Gold Dot short barrel +p. They were designed specifically for the snubbies and I also carried them in my .38.

Comment

Originally posted by WC145 View Post
        Why not use whatever ammo line your department issues? I'm sure that whatever it is (gold dot, ranger, etc.) they have a .38spl +p load that would be appropriate.
        The only problem with that is other than those I mentioned all other rounds are still manufactured & tested for larger guns, not snubbies.

If you are going to your BUG, then you need every advantage you can get because at that moment, you likely have none at all.

Comment

The ammo from your dept. is free. Free is good. RemingtonGS Bonded 124 gr JHP works for me.
          No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it.
          -Theodore Roosevelt

The views expressed by this screen name do not represent any civilian,municipal, military, or federal law enforcement agency and are strictly the views of the individual writing. Under no circumstances should someone consider the content of these posts to have anything less than a great deal of sarcasm interlaced throughout. Read at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Zamkn View Post
            The ammo from your dept. is free. Free is good. RemingtonGS Bonded 124 gr JHP works for me.
            I didn't know remington made a 9mm round capible of being fired out of a S&W 442...

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by Mitchell_in_CT View Post
              1) 110 gr Federal low recoil does not pass IWBA or FBI balistics tests. It's velocity & energy numbers are predicated on a 4 inch BBL, not a 1 7/8 inch you carry.

2) 135 gr +P Gold Dot is designed to pass IWBA & FBI tests after being shot from a 1 7/8 inch tube. It offers similar penetration & expansion to a 124 gr gold dot 9mm fired from a glock 19.

The other load is 110 gr DPX with is supposed to be just as good.

When I carry a .38 I use the Gold Dot, but would be just as happy with the DPX if it was less costly.
              Thanks, this is just the kind of information I was looking for. Reading on Midway (www.midwayusa.com), the write up for the Gold Dot is VERY promising (also more affordable).

Comment

I attended some testing of Gold Dot - they had a poster with various loads showing how it expanded, and the Gold Dot performed as shown, even from our guns!

I would use Gold Dot (if I did not still have some issue ammo to use.)
                "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6270 users online. 355 members and 5915 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X