300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tikka Rifle...

Probation Officer here in Nor Cal. Just bought my first big game rifle...took her to the range this weekend. I went with the Tikka T3, stainless/synthetic stock, in .300 Win Mag. I wanted one rifle that I could use to take just about anything in North America. I heard nothing but great things about the
    .300 Win Mag. Shot it out of the box this weekend. 1" groups at 100yds for a rookie rifle shooter, I was pleased. Was curious to get some feedback on the Tikka and the .300 Win Mag caliber. Did I make a good decision for a rifle that will handle just about anything I choose to hunt in North America?

I have no experience with the rifle, but I have a .300 Win Mag.

It is definitely capable of killing anything in North America, but I'd say it is a bit small for large dangerous animals such as moose or brown bear.

Comment

The Tikka is a great rifle. The fact that it is economical makes it even a better deal. One thing that you really need to do is invest in good glass. You don't need to spend mad money on a scope, but if you are spending $40.00 on a Wal-mart special, you will likely be disappointed. Quality for the money can be found in Leupold Rifleman and VX-1 series and the various Nikons. I have had luck with Simmons, but mostly on my varminters.

.300 Win Mag will safely cover all North American game and African plains game. It is a little light for the big bears and bison, but it will work. My General Purpose hunting rifle is a .30-06 that I am well in 2,850 fps with 180-grain Nosler Partitions. You will probably be best served by a good 180-grain bullet for everything from pig to moose.

Comment

Tikka is a fine rifle, a VERY good choice. I don't share the views of a lot of people, I think the .300 Mag is a fine cartridge, but too much is made of paper ballistics. You will be well served, as long as you are comfortable shooting it.
        The 7mm mag is about as powerful as I am willing to go, I tend to develop a flinch with heavy hitters.
        Keep this is mind, the 7x57 mauser and the 6.5x55 were both used to good effect on elephants, an animal a bit larger than moose and bear.
        That being said, the 180 grain bullet is an excellent choice for light skinned game like deer and elk and will be potent medicine on pigs. You may want to move up to 220 grain bullets for anything larger like moose and big bears. At the velocities that the 300 is capable of, bullet construction if very important.
        If you don't reload now, you may want to start.
        Good luck and happy hunting.

Comment

Thanks for the replies! Yes, I looked at quite a few rifles first. I was told just about everywhere that the Tikka is tough to beat for the $600 price point. The action is incredibly smooth. I looked at it's big brother Sako, but $1,200 for a rifle was too rich for my blood. In all honesty, the Tikka felt just as nice (obviously not as finely put together and tight as the Sako...but I now have a rifle and glass for the same price as just the rifle).

Yeah, I was told that good glass is critical. No sense of buying a $600 rifle and putting a $50 Wal-Mart scope on it. I went with the Leupold VX-III 3.5 - 10x. Very nice scope. I bought a limbsaver slip-on sissy pad to help out on the recoil. The .300 Win Mag rocks pretty good in such a light rifle.

Looks like I made a good choice...glad to hear some positive feedback! This is my first big game rifle, so I didn't know much about what to look for. Looking forward to deer season starting next week!!

Comment

jd--sounds like everything you've picked out is of top quality. I have been told by a well respected gunsmith that the Tikka's are basically "blueprinted' right from the factory. That basically means they come out of the box as if they have been hand built by a custom gunsmith. Tikka is made by sako, and I consider it "the working man's sako", in other words, affordable. The 300 win mag caliber is more than enough for anything that walks in the lower 48, and with the right bullet (200gr barnes or 220 partition for example) that caliber will take anything in North America...as long as you put the bullet where it needs to go.

Comment

Have any of you had accuracy issues with your Tikkas? I have a T3 Laminated Stainless in .308. It shots sub MOA for the first 3 shot group. If the barrel is warm, the group expands about two inches vertically and moves about three inches to the upper right. I am using Hornady match ammo, Nikon scope and good technique. The scope is tight, the action is tight.

It is great to hunt with and I like the gun. One gunsmith told me to have the barrel cryo treated. Others said that I have to let the gun cool more between groups.

thanks

Comment

tpra1--I am no expert, but I have been around enough rifles to make an educated guess at your problem. The problem you describe is sometimes called "stringing". Sounds like the barrel to stock clearance is minimal, so as the barrel heats up, the steel swells and the barrel begins to "push" on the stock, causing your rounds to go off point of aim. There is really no way to know which way they'll go from range session to range session, because the barrel might touch a different place in the stock every time it heats up. This is a very common problem with non-free floated barrels. I recently had a heavy barrel .308 with the same problem. I had my gunsmith bed the action (bedded out to just in front of the recoil lug). I also had him put a little (one inch patch) of bedding out on the fore end tip to ensure "even" pressure on both ends of the barrel. This solved my "stringing" problem, but I must admit that this is the first time I have bedded the fore end of the stock..all of my other rifles have bedded actions and free floated barrels. Try running a dollar bill under your barrel, between it and the stock...if it runs smoothly all the way from muzzle end to action, then the barrel is not touching the stock...try the same thing with a hot barrel...if the dollar bill hangs up, then you know the barrel is pushing on the stock at that point..you may be able to just sand a little out of the barrel channel to remove the "high" spot if its not too bad..otherwise, have it bedded and free floated...also, make sure your action screws are not to tight...if the stock to action fit is not true / square (which is unlikely with the Tikka), an overly tight action screw may be "twisting" or putting too much torque on the action, and we all know that a little twist at the action or a little pressure from the stock can be equal to inches on the target.

Comment

First, you did make a good choice. The 300 is a great round for any game you will find in N. America. The fact that you can load round for yotes to bear is very nice. You put great glass on it and the gun itself is second to none. The Limb Saver pad is a good idea, especially at the range. It allows a few more shots out of a hard hitting gun. However, nothing is better than a good mount.

tpra1, you may want to let your gun cool a bit. Shoot three and let it sit for a few minutes. A cool barrel does shoot differnt.

Comment

No experience with the Tikka at all, but I have heard good things.

.300WM will definitly do the job on just about anything that walks of crawls in North America....as long as you do your job.
                    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Thanks Bobby B. It is free-floated cold. I will check it for the hot condition after my next range session. It does have a great trigger and a great fit for my style of hunting.

At some point, I will be getting the new Winchester 70 or a Remington LTR, or both. I will probably pass the Tikka on to my son and daughter.

If I could shoot a rifle as often as my pistols, I would be a better shot, too.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6307 users online. 351 members and 5956 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X